PDA

View Full Version : Calling all coffee snobs, the keurig?

Psyche
04-03-2010, 07:20 PM
Is it really that awesome? Even for a coffee snob used to the smoothness of a french press?

inesperada
04-03-2010, 07:39 PM
I would call it smoother than a french press. I don't think the flavor fully lives up to the french press or regular percolation, though.

WI Mama05
04-03-2010, 08:02 PM
My MIL got one for Christmas from us, so I've had the nice perk of getting that when I'm here :wink I have a REALLY hard time drinking regular brew now. It's just NOT the same. Never had french press myself, but the quality is definately on par for coffee house coffee :tu .

Guess what UPS delivered to us a few weeks ago......a Keurig! MIL sent us one :heart I'm LOVING it and m saying buh-bye to my drip-maker.

They have EXCELLENT customer service too. MIL had a problem with hers and they sent her a brand new maching without asking for the old one back! No money. No shipping involved. AWESOME.

I get the K-cups on super deal during Kohls sales with 30% off coupons, Kohls cash, etc. It is the cheapest way to get them that I've found.

Hermana Linda
04-03-2010, 08:57 PM
I don't know anything about coffee makers. I just put a heaping tablespoon of coffee plus a tsp in a small pot with one cup of boiling water, let it sit while I make my oatmeal and then strain it. :shifty

mamahammer
04-03-2010, 09:09 PM
DH is a coffee snob and has been oogling the Keurig for years - my grandfather has had one since they first came out. I bought him one for Christmas and he is more in love with it today than ever.

Mokek Kwe
04-04-2010, 08:19 AM
I used one at my old office and I didn't want to waste too much company money on coffee (lol) so I would use the K-cups twice- the second cup as good (to me) as the first. But I only drink coffee with lots of cream and sugar. It basically looks like milk with coffee in it, lol.

Weezie
04-04-2010, 08:34 AM
:yes

Oh yes.

The only coffee I drink.

Yum.

The donut people's coffee is WONDERFUL. Bed Bath and Beyond is the only brick and mortar store to carry that one.

:yum

CrunchySeaSalt
04-04-2010, 06:05 PM
I love ours esp when you only need a cup. I second the customer service fom the site as well as getting deals from places for the Kcups :yes

AmyDoll
04-04-2010, 06:09 PM
I LOVE mine!!! We use it every day - it's so easy!
I buy my K-cups thru Frontier, online at Amazon & at Costco.

We bot our Keurig at Costco. I'm looking forwared to the iced option this summer!

I'm not a terrible coffee snob - I like decent coffee (Columbian, Arabica & prefer to grind it myself) & the Keurig is good stuff! :tu

bananacake
04-04-2010, 06:14 PM
I am a BIG coffee snob and do not like the Keurig.

Psyche
04-04-2010, 06:17 PM
I am a BIG coffee snob and do not like the Keurig.

I am probably going to have to put the word out that I want to try it and mooch off a friend then. If I'm desperate, I'll drink Folgers, but only if I chug it.

bananacake
04-04-2010, 06:28 PM
We use Keurig at church and at an office where I temped. I also worked in a gourmet coffee shop that even offered cold-brewed iced coffee. So when I say, "snob", I mean it! I would definitely mooch off someone before I made a major investment. The Keurig is expensive, with the cups ringing in at 50 cents each, on sale.

Psyche
04-04-2010, 06:37 PM
I also worked in a gourmet coffee shop that even offered cold-brewed iced coffee.

:yum :yum :yum :yum

cobluegirl
04-04-2010, 11:41 PM
my parents have one and love it.. they bought one for work too.

I am not sure. I would love the ease of it.. I also would have to get the filter thingy and use my own coffee occasionally... thus far....I haven't gotten great flavor from it..which is what is preventing me from buying it.

bananacake
04-05-2010, 04:48 AM
The little cups are not recyclable. Just thought I'd add that fact to the mix :giggle

WI Mama05
04-05-2010, 05:10 AM
Although the girls have found great uses for them in play and crafts :wink

JenLovie
04-05-2010, 05:52 AM
We have one and my husband (the main coffee drinker) isn't a huge fan. He's not a coffee snob, but he likes to be able to control how much he makes. We have the "My K Cup" so he can put his own coffee in it because the other K Cups are really expensive. I do like using the machine for hot water for my tea. It's nice because it's nearly instant.
My mom and aunt love theirs.

diamondintherough
04-05-2010, 06:04 AM
We have it and never use it because I'm too cheap to buy the K-cups. I purchased the my K-cup thinking that I would save money, but the coffee isn't nearly as good even when I use gourmet coffee. K-cups are expensive (IMO) even when purchased on sale.

We got a French Press for Christmas and have been very, very happy with it!

I will say that the Keurig is convenient and we think that the coffee tastes good (we used to get the Green mountain k-cups), but it's a purchase we have regretted, frankly. :shrug3

Lady Grey
04-05-2010, 06:13 AM
My dad and stepmom like theirs though they are more coffee addicts than coffee snobs lol. They still make a big pot of regular coffee in the mornings and use the keurig if they want an additional cup later in the day.

I tried the hot cocoa when I was visiting there - that was a waste. It tasted no different than a packet of swiss miss.

cobluegirl
04-05-2010, 08:35 AM
The little cups is why I would have to get their filter thing..so I can use my own coffee. my parents have the one that has 3 different sizes of brew's.

Can'tTurnLeft
04-05-2010, 09:25 AM
I don't like it. The flavor is okay, I don't like it nearly as well as my ethical bean sumatran though. If you want to control quantity the best is french press. It is easy, not quiet as easy as the keurig, but still easy. I also don't like that you can't recycle the cups and it is expensive, and they don't source their coffees from ethical sources (I think they offer one fair trade blend, but I haven't looked in a while)