PDA

View Full Version : Skinny dog

Victorious
03-31-2010, 07:09 PM
We got a puppy in November. We were told she was/is a lab mix and both parents *look* like labs.

But, she looks like this http://www.grizzlyrun.com/Files/Images/Image_Gallery/Italian_greyhound.jpg

Only, you can also see every one of her ribs.

We took her to the vet and he checked for worms and found nothing; gave her the medication anyway as well. He said she looked healthy, just skinny. We've been pouring dog gravy on her food but still super skinny.

Any ideas? Is it ever ok to see a dog's ribs (I would think not but I know some breeds have quirky characteristics.)

Amber
03-31-2010, 07:13 PM
I'm a bit confused. The picture you linked to is a greyhound, but you say she is a lab :scratch

For some breeds, like the greyhound, it is totally normal to see all their ribs for other breeds it is not.

What brand of food are you feeding her?

Victorious
03-31-2010, 07:17 PM
Yes, what I'm saying is we were told that she was a lab, but she looks *nothing* like a lab. I'm wondering if her father is who they think it is.

She gets Nutro big dog food.

kiloyd
03-31-2010, 07:21 PM
Does the vet think her weight is okay?

I keep my lab thin because she is 12 yrs old and arthritic. The less weight, the easier on her joints. But you can't see all her ribs because of her fur.

My lab weighs 60# and gets 2 1/2 cups a day and is moderately active.

What does your dog weigh and how much does she get a day?

What breed does she most look like?

Amber
03-31-2010, 07:27 PM
Yes, what I'm saying is we were told that she was a lab, but she looks *nothing* like a lab. I'm wondering if her father is who they think it is.

She gets Nutro big dog food.
She may not be lab, and that could account for some of the skinniness :yes Could you post of picture of her?

If she is less than 18 - 2yrs I would still have her on puppy food. Just switching over to puppy food might put a little meat on her bones.

kiloyd
03-31-2010, 07:29 PM
woops, forgot the puppy part. how much do you feed her? If she eats it all you could up her food some. And is she still on puppy food?

Victorious
03-31-2010, 07:50 PM
No, she isn't on puppy food b/c she and our other dog were constantly playing switcheroo with their food so it seemed pointless to buy them different food. B/c our other dog is a lab we figured the "large breed" food was ok. We feed her about 3 cups a day+ gravy + treats. She is also highly distractible while eating and runs all over the place; we re-direct her to her food multiple times during feeding but usually give up b/c we don't want to force feed her. She always leaves some food when she runs off to play. Unfortunately our big lab always helps her clean her bowl if she leaves food :doh

I just asked dh how much she weighed at the vet and he said they didn't weigh her :scratch . A little odd to bring a dog in for weight concerns and they don't weigh them :doh My guess is less than 20#; my 3 year old can kind of manipulate her/move her around.

I'll try to get a picture tomorrow. It's too dark right now and the last pic I have of her was a young puppy pic and she looks completely different now.

kiloyd
04-01-2010, 09:42 AM
If she's active and happy then it's not a big deal. I would feed them separately and if she runs off to play put her food up. Me personally , I like dogs to eat their meal all at once, I've actually never had a dog that nibbled all day.

How old is your puppy? If she's under a yr or 18 mo I'd feed her puppy food and just feed them separate so your other dog doesn't get her food.

That does sound crazy that they forgot to weigh her at the vet. You can't give medicine if you don't the know the weight to dose it! Was your dh with her the whole time?

Victorious
04-01-2010, 12:23 PM
Here are some pictures

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d43/lkmorehouse/tn-3.jpg

For scale, the black dog in the back is a full-grown lab, she's playing with my 3 year old

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d43/lkmorehouse/tn-4.jpg

kiloyd
04-01-2010, 06:07 PM
She's cute! She definitely looks part lab, has a lab head. She could maybe be part greyhound. She does look thin.

How old is she?

She could be in her gangly stage and will fill out in her 2nd year.

Does she ask for more food? Oh, no, I forgot you said sometimes she'll leave and your other dog will finish it. I'd pick up her bowl if she leaves and offer it at the next meal, she'd probably be hungry then.

Amber
04-01-2010, 10:10 PM
If you have a crate for her, I would feed her in there. If not, you could have a doggy quiet time a couple times a day and separate the dogs into different rooms for 15-20min with a bowl of food and water, then pick the food up when the time is up.

kiloyd
04-02-2010, 07:00 AM
If you have a crate for her, I would feed her in there. If not, you could have a doggy quiet time a couple times a day and separate the dogs into different rooms for 15-20min with a bowl of food and water, then pick the food up when the time is up.

I like that idea.

geegee
04-02-2010, 07:09 AM
You might want to get her checked for worms.Worms take alot of nutrition from the poor puppy!

kiloyd
04-03-2010, 08:18 AM
You might want to get her checked for worms.Worms take alot of nutrition from the poor puppy!

She said she was checked.

How old is your puppy?