PDA

View Full Version : need tips for giving subcutaneous fluids to a cat

flowermama
03-31-2010, 01:52 PM
My cat needs extra fluids, and I'm trying to give him subcutaneous fluids at home. I did fine yesterday but totally blew it today. :nails The first time I tried today, I accidentally let the needle come out and it was squirting out and scared our cat. Then I tried again later, and must have not put it in right (obviously) because it started squirting out right off the bat. Then I tried again, and must have struck too low because he let out a yeowch and jumped down from my lap. :cry I feel like such a failure. :banghead Now I'm afraid he won't let me try again. eta: so I haven't been able to give him any today yet.

:help

QuiltinGramma
03-31-2010, 01:54 PM
poor kitty.
pm Amber...or wait and she'll eventually show up.
:heart

Johns_Gal
03-31-2010, 02:14 PM
Where are you trying to give it?

I found the scruff to be easiest; lift it like you would a kitten, and slowly insert the needle. Go ahead and push most of the needle under the skin. Pull back a little. Slowly slowly depress the syringe. If it squirts out, go slower or use less fluid. You can give smaller amounts more frequently.

:hug I know it's hard.

ETA: I also offer my dehyrated sickies homemade broth. I find they don't want to eat much but that gets something in their bellies.

scottishthistle
03-31-2010, 02:32 PM
it cost $10 at the vets for my cat to have it, I think it was worth every penny LOL

Cat
03-31-2010, 02:35 PM
scruff of the neck-hang the bag high so you have 2 hands free...

our vet comes to the house-i was too nervous to actually do it myself

sweetpeasmommy
03-31-2010, 02:59 PM
Use the scruff at the back of the neck, lift skin slightly so it looks sort of like a triangle. Insert the needle near the middle of triangular area. Pull back plunger slightly to make sure no blood enters the syringe, if it does which I think is highly unlikely in that area, it means you have a blood vessel and you need to start over. Try not to worry I have done this lots of times and never had that happen, but it is important. The just go slow. I wish I could come show you because it is really easy, I'm just more of a visual learner like that. I wonder if you can see on youtube a demonstration.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyYiE6jlOVQ&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LSppGcrQ3Y

Amber
03-31-2010, 07:19 PM
The PP have described it pretty good.

If you can make him a little nest out of towels to lay in. Some people like to use a box, or they take apart their cat carrier and use the bottom half. If you have someone else available to help hold the cat still so you can focus on giving the fluids that helps too.

I'll PM you my phone number and I can talk you through it on the phone if you are still having trouble :hugheart

Zoesmama
04-01-2010, 08:39 PM
The trick is probably in the angle. 10% which is pretty close to parallel to the skin is what we use in people medicine. ;) I'm a certified medical assistant. I really should have got to the vet tech program instead. :giggle I love animals but wasn't really planning on the course I was trying to get into the phlebotomy program but couldn't get the financial aid for it.

flowermama
04-01-2010, 09:54 PM
Thank you all so much! Your tips were helpful; I appreciate them so much! The videos are youtube are great. And knowing you are here to support me helps immensely. :heart This type of thing really is something that kinda freaks me out a tad bit. :shifty I was about ready to give up today, but I prayed and tried again, and praise God it worked!! I did it twice today.... I didn't give as much fluid as I was supposed to, but I think he got more today than he did yesterday, so that is good. :-) I sure hope he gets better. :pray4