PDA

View Full Version : Storing Homemade Bread?

LisaMarie
03-11-2010, 01:23 PM
I just made 2 loaves of homemade white bread. My question is : how do you ladies store your homemade bread?

(I know, I know... the Tupperware lady is asking about storing food!) :no

Is it best to put them in a tight bag? Or in a container I can find that it will fight in? It's been a lonnnnnng time since I made homemade bread from scratch. Just can't remember what worked.

---

ETA: OH! And is there such a thing as a bread slicer? Something that can help make even slices of bread??

Forsynthianicki
03-11-2010, 02:27 PM
when I was growing up, my mom always stored bread in a leftover bread bag from store bought bread. We are gluten free and almost never buy bread. I usually store my loaves in a gallon zippy bag. Homemade bread, in my experience, doesn't store well long term. I usually only make a loaf at a time and we eat half while it is still warm and the rest within a day or so. If it is going to be longer than that I slice the bread and then store it in the freezer.

4MKfam
03-11-2010, 02:43 PM
I'm using recycled old bread bags for now, thinking about finding an old-fashioned bread box next time I'm at Goodwill :shifty, or ordering some bread bags from somewhere on the internet -I know urban homemaker carries them in lots of 100 or so. I've heard paper bags work well, also, if you use the bread within a couple days.

Six Little Feet
03-11-2010, 02:52 PM
LOL

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350324626183

4MKfam
03-11-2010, 02:56 PM
Yeah --that jogged my memory. Tupperware used to carry an adaptation of the tall square modular mates that had a flip-top clear lid (not as airtight, enough to keep the bread from drying out) and a grate-type thing at the bottom to keep the crust from getting soggy.

LisaMarie
03-11-2010, 03:30 PM
Yeah --that jogged my memory. Tupperware used to carry an adaptation of the tall square modular mates that had a flip-top clear lid (not as airtight, enough to keep the bread from drying out) and a grate-type thing at the bottom to keep the crust from getting soggy.

Yep, Bread Baker's Delight. Haven't seen them in a while. Boo.

LOL

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350324626183

hehe - well, YA. But these are rarely available. :( Guess I'll keep my eyes open :D

Singingmom
03-11-2010, 03:37 PM
I bake 4 loaves at a time and freeze them until the night before I need them. If I forget to take one out in time for lunch, I use the defrost setting in the microwave for just a few minutes, but they thaw pretty quickly on the counter.

I use bread bags from the grocery store loaves I buy, but ever since we had a mouse I won't leave the unfinished loaf out on the counter overnight, so I put it in the fridge. I've read that storing it in the fridge makes it stale faster, but it seems okay (it's almost always gone after the second day).

I'd like to find an old metal bread keeper too. :)

LisaMarie
03-11-2010, 03:51 PM
I bake 4 loaves at a time and freeze them until the night before I need them. If I forget to take one out in time for lunch, I use the defrost setting in the microwave for just a few minutes, but they thaw pretty quickly on the counter.

Thanks so much for this. I was wondering about how homemade bread freezes, especially since the recipe I'm using makes 2 at a time. :)

Liberated4Christ
03-11-2010, 03:58 PM
We use those bread bags..like the green veggi ones, that keep produce longer? The bread bags are just like them, except different color. The homemade bread stays soft and yummy for about a week. Oh, we got them at Walmart last year.

Singingmom
03-11-2010, 09:48 PM
Thanks so much for this. I was wondering about how homemade bread freezes, especially since the recipe I'm using makes 2 at a time. :)

It should freeze beautifully and taste fresh when it thaws. :yes

FaithHopeLove
03-17-2010, 12:22 PM
I think my friend who regularly bakes her own bread stores the unused loaves in the freezer. I think she said the gluten free bread doesn't freeze well, but her usual recipe with gluten does.

abh5e8
03-17-2010, 12:23 PM
We use those bread bags..like the green veggi ones, that keep produce longer? The bread bags are just like them, except different color. The homemade bread stays soft and yummy for about a week. Oh, we got them at Walmart last year.

so you can reuse them?