PDA

View Full Version : hey yarn snobs?

Naked Camper
03-08-2010, 07:19 AM
So what is the difference between the $6 skein of Patons 100% wool at Joanns vs. the $10 skein of 100% wool at the LYS?

Grover
03-08-2010, 10:56 AM
Im a yarn snob ;)
Whats LYS?
Lion brand is fine,but some of the 100% wools I have bought have not shrunk - so either have been superwashed or have something mixed in.So the first problem is sometimes it doesnt felt - when you want it too.
Sometimes I have had problems with softness- again Lion brand is fine.
But mostly Im a sucker for handpainted yarn- because they have been handpainted - are unique and fun to knit with.Here is where I love to wool shop[ when Kristin store is empty;)]
http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/Elvincraft-HomegrownYarns__W0QQ_armrsZ1

I know the sheep and goats have been well cared for,I like to think Im supporting a dying[in both interpretations of the word] business.

Naked Camper
03-08-2010, 11:26 AM
LYS - local yarn shop :wink

I plan on hand painting it myself, but wanted to know if I was going to spend the time and $$ on dying it - should I really spring for the expensive stuff :shrug3 I will not be felting - I'll be making shorties with it.

relizabeth
03-08-2010, 11:40 AM
I happen to heart Patons and I would say it's toe to toe with Cascade, Plymouth, Araucania, Lamb's Pride, and any other 100% wool yarn in a LYS. And I worked in a LYS.

For shorties it's great. Long wearing, should pickup dye well, etc.

Grover
03-08-2010, 11:58 AM
LYS - local yarn shop :wink

I plan on hand painting it myself, but wanted to know if I was going to spend the time and $$ on dying it - should I really spring for the expensive stuff :shrug3 I will not be felting - I'll be making shorties with it.

ooohh you must post some pictures of this.I bought some dyes but [the one and only time I tried it] I wasnt happy with the results.I must try this again one day though.
I believe Kristin used cascade- and it was very nice to knit with.

Eowyn
03-08-2010, 03:48 PM
It just feels different. The ply is a bit tighter, and it doesn't pill and felt as readily.

---------- Post added at 04:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:47 PM ----------

So what is the difference between the $6 skein of Patons 100% wool at Joanns vs. the $10 skein of 100% wool at the LYS?

The 100% wool at my LYS, if it's not pretty colorways is in the $6-$7 range. :shrug3

Naked Camper
03-08-2010, 04:35 PM
hmm, the less pilling would make it worth the trip to the LYS. My problem is that I have nobody to watch the boys while I go - so I don't go. I'm not as spoiled as you Lindsay with a kids room in the LYS. :snooty :wink But I can go to Joanns and Hobby Lobby with my kids - there's carts and therefore less ability for them to destroy. :shifty

Eowyn
03-08-2010, 04:38 PM
hmm, the less pilling would make it worth the trip to the LYS. My problem is that I have nobody to watch the boys while I go - so I don't go. I'm not as spoiled as you Lindsay with a kids room in the LYS. :snooty :wink But I can go to Joanns and Hobby Lobby with my kids - there's carts and therefore less ability for them to destroy. :shifty

You'll just have to come visit my LYS, then.:shrug3

Naked Camper
03-08-2010, 04:39 PM
:tu sounds fun!