PDA

View Full Version : Appraisal on Friday ~ any tips?

Close2MyHeart
03-03-2010, 07:09 AM
Any tips on making our house look as good as possible? We have our appraisal on Friday... the final step before all the paperwork goes to the buyer's bank. I know it's a tough market and our realtor said appraisers are really tough right now. I'd like to present our home as best as it can be. Realtor also said it looks good to have all of our stuff in it, but well cared for. I've already decluttered & plan to go through the children's bedrooms to take care of their cluttered mess. (I have to declutter their rooms weekly! :doh )

2sunshines
03-03-2010, 07:37 AM
Although a nice decluttered tidy place sure helps it look better for the appraiser, that's not really the stuff that he's going to be looking at. Tho I'd still do it because the overall feel of a clean house makes it appear well maintained. :tu

Most important is to make sure that all the little projects are done. All outlets covered with covers without cracks, all finishing trim done, all those little projects that most homeowners mean to get done but often sit undone. Even the tiny things that you go most of your life not even noticing. Make sure that all water pipes and connections are leak free, no drippage, no signs of water leakage, things like that.

Make sure that he will have easy access to every place that he needs to go -- like the attic, the crawl (if you have one) the water heater, water pipes, etc.

Close2MyHeart
03-03-2010, 08:53 AM
Hmm. :think Our realtor said that the inspector already looked all that over. The appraiser is coming to look at the overall value of the house and make sure it's worth at least what the people are paying.

The only thing I can think of that needs work is a little hole make by the doorknob thanks to the kiddos. :lol We've repaired this spot over 5 times already... DH will fix that before he comes.

My realtor said that a house w/ stuff that is kept neatly in it appraises higher than houses that are empty. :scratch

mommylove
03-03-2010, 09:25 AM
My realtor said that a house w/ stuff that is kept neatly in it appraises higher than houses that are empty. :scratch

That is a really ridiculous comment. I'll just assume that your Realtor was trying to give you warm fuzzies. :shrug3

The appraisal is about the structure & the location. That's all. 2sunshines gave good advice.

The purpose of an appraisal is to prove to the lender that the house is worth what the lender is being told. Your stuff, which will soon be gone, has no bearing on either the value of the house or the buyer's new loan. So no one cares what you have or how you keep it. :no

An appraiser is required to comment on the condition of the home & note any deferred maintenance. Now if your clutter means that you've got rodents chewing holes in walls or leaving droppings, well, that will be noted. :giggle General stuff, though, is irrelevant.

Something to understand, though, is that while an inspection was done, the lender will not see it. An inspection is optional. A buyer has one done for their own peace of mind. A lender doesn't get a copy. An appraisal, though, is a lender requirement. That's why an appraiser has to note any obvious deficiencies.

Close2MyHeart
03-03-2010, 09:37 AM
I don't think she was just giving me warm fuzzies. She's been very up front and honest about everything. :shrug

I think what she meant was that if he sees that you take care of your things it reflects on how you take care of the house. Meaning you fix things that need to be fixed and care for the upkeep of the house. I'm pretty sure that's what she meant... She's been in the business for 45 years & told me that houses w/ stuff in them appraise higher than empty houses. (As long as the stuff is clean, orderly and taken care of) :shrug

Good to know about the inspector/appraiser thing. I thought the lender got both copies.

2sunshines
03-03-2010, 12:10 PM
Ah yea, I was thinking inspection instead of appraisal. Tho it seems that both would be looking at similar things, just probably the appraiser not as deeply. And if your house just went through inspection, you're probably well aware of anything that would be of a concern.

Yep, location and structure are all that he will be looking at. I think it's often just a mathematical calculation. Things like square footage, room sizes, etc.

I imagine that kitchens and bathrooms add the most value so I'd take extra time on those things, making sure they look great.

And yes, you're right that someone who takes care of their things gives the impression that they also take care of their house. We look at that when we look at houses. Not sure how much the appraiser will look at that, but buyers definitely do. :yes

We had an appraisal done recently when we refinanced our home. The biggest part of his time here was taking a bunch of measurements of everything, both indoor and out.

Mommylove -- thanks for the explanation. :yes Makes total sense.