PDA

View Full Version : the stinky waffle iron

mommylove
03-02-2010, 10:35 AM
MIL bought me a waffle iron for Christmas. The first time I used the waffle iron I was (pick one) floored/horrified/disgusted/majorly grossed out at the Teflon stink. It was really bad.

That, plus the fact that I couldn't get the waffles to not stick, made DH decide that this present was definitely going back. He washed it & packaged it up. I never got around to returning it.

FF to today.

DS insisted we make waffles. He's 3. I opted against the major drama that would ensue if we made pancakes instead of waffles.

The waffle iron was still stinky. But not as stinky. I used it directly under the exhaust fan, & I had the ceiling fan on and the door open. So hopefully there aren't any toxic fumes.

So the waffles were a success, thanks to finally listening to MIL's advice to cook them 3 mins, not follow the dummy light. Then I made a super cool waffle omelet. This was the easiest omelet ever, especially since I usually cook eggs on stainless steel. :no

The alternative to waffles is pancakes, which I cook on a huge, bulky Teflon griddle. Although it doesn't noticeably stink, I'm not sure it's any better. :shrug3 And this waffle iron is so much smaller -- like 1/4 the size.

I'm debating keeping it. :shifty

WWYD?

craftymama
03-04-2010, 04:04 PM
Personally I'd get rid of both, the griddle and waffle iron, and switch to cast iron. Teflon scares me. I cook our pancakes in a large cast iron pan and they come out great. I bought a few cast iron pans some years back from a yard sale and that was the best kitchen purchase I ever made! I also have a cast-iron waffle maker: http://www.amazon.com/Cast-Iron-Waffle/dp/B000KEJS5E You use it on the stovetop. Three minutes on each side with the burner on medium makes yummy waffles, and you don't have to worry about toxic teflon :)

Rea T
03-04-2010, 04:08 PM
If you like it I would keep it until you have the money for a non-teflon alternative. If that's your only teflon I probably wouldn't be too bugged by it.