PDA

View Full Version : March UFO's

KatieMae
03-01-2010, 08:03 AM
UFO = UnFinished Object - a craft project you were working on until (A) you got distracted with something more fun or that had a deadline, (B) you decided to stop doing that kind of craft altogether, or (C) oh yeah, you have kids! :idea It's hard to find time to get it done!

These are things you don't REALLY want to do, but it would be a weight off of your shoulders to know that they're completed. Let's make these things a priority this month :yes List what you want to finish and then post when you finish them - include pics if you want :)

Blue Savannah
03-01-2010, 08:09 AM
I vote for C! :giggle

KatieMae
03-01-2010, 08:09 AM
Things I want to get done this month:

1. More mending :sigh You'd think I wouldn't put this off so long, but it's such a pain to get everything out! I think right now I have four or five items waiting for me. I think a once-a-month mending session is quite enough!

2. Do bead embroidering on already-sewn doll slings

3. Sew doll sling fabric (already cut & waiting in my craft drawer)

allisonintx
03-01-2010, 09:02 AM
I was just coming into this forum to post this thread, and you beat me to it!

1. Weave in the ends of my mom's capalet http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=40624686

2. Make a belt to run through dd's noro skirt, because the waist grew :bag

DragonfliiMama
03-01-2010, 12:05 PM
1. Diapers!!!
2. Mending - buttons on coat (preferably BEFORE I lose one), hook clasp on cloak
3. fabric backing for Jimi's rock band scarf.

There's one more project I can think of, but I think if I can get half this list done I'll be happy.

Niphredil
03-01-2010, 12:45 PM
Can I add my buckle tie again? :bag

I got all the straps and pockets done, really, it's just sewing it all to the body. I lost one of the nylon straps, though, so I have to go to the store and that's a big hold up. I don't drive across the bridge and M's been working late. I really want to finish it by this weekend for vacation next week!

allisonintx
03-01-2010, 01:01 PM
i just keep adding stuff til it actually gets done :D

Marielle
03-01-2010, 01:36 PM
Katie I detest mending with and put it off almost indefinitely. I'll confess to having an unmended pair of maternity jeans (brand new, just needed to hem) from when I was pregnant with N.

I just got around to fixing some wrapped coat buttons on DH's suede jacket that the man requested oh 4 years ago? He's so patient in that regard that he was actually happy once I got it done.

ncsweetpea
03-01-2010, 05:24 PM
Here's my list: (Gee, I wish it didn't look so familiar....)

Dad's birthday afghan-knit-7/8 finished (Need by April 1)
Hubby's winter hat-knit-FINISHED
baby hat for shower-FINISHED
Handquilting Trip Around the World quilt
Quilting scotty dog wallhanging
Quilt as you go quilt (work along project--will be with me for years I believe)
Purple shoulder wrap-knit-for me-1/4 finished
Pansy needlepoint-3/4 finished
Dog towel for baby-3/4 finished

I'm only owning up to the stuff already started...I have commitments for tons more and ideas for even more! :)

Not UFOs when we started, but now they are:

curtains to mend for Heather

washcloths for side swap-6 finished!
family cloth for side swap--DONE and mailed

mom2boys
03-02-2010, 01:38 PM
ugh! things I need to do:
1. keep sorting my scrapbook/rubber stamping stuff and weeding it out-I'm giving it all away, slowly. I don't want to do that anymore, don't like it, and hate to think of it just sitting when it could be used by someone who would appreciate it. I always get hung up on the "I spent so much money on this and now I'm giving it away!!!" :hissyfit part of it, though. :giggle

2. I have a whole bunch of old t-shirts that need to be cut into strips for me to make a rag rug for the bathroom.

3. mending...do I even hafta?? :lol

4. Jamie is now a boy scout, so I need to get all his cub scout stuff off his shirt and put on the boy scout stuff. ugh, ugh, ugh. Boy scouts and all their badges and awards for every little thing was definitely created by a man! :lol

allisonintx
03-02-2010, 03:27 PM
I have four or five of those scrapbook bags full of stuff my MIL gave me. I'm with you on that Darci. Those bags are taking over my life.

Teribear
03-02-2010, 03:31 PM
Still working on Elyse's baby blanket. Maybe by Easter....

backtobasicsmum
03-02-2010, 08:06 PM
ugh! things I need to do:
1. keep sorting my scrapbook/rubber stamping stuff and weeding it out-I'm giving it all away, slowly. I don't want to do that anymore, don't like it, and hate to think of it just sitting when it could be used by someone who would appreciate it. I always get hung up on the "I spent so much money on this and now I'm giving it away!!!" :hissyfit part of it, though. :giggle

I have four or five of those scrapbook bags full of stuff my MIL gave me. I'm with you on that Darci. Those bags are taking over my life.

I'm sure there are lots of mama's who would be happy to take those things off your hands for you! :shifty

mom2boys
03-02-2010, 08:25 PM
:giggle :heart like, maybe...you? :giggle

DragonfliiMama
03-02-2010, 09:46 PM
Well I didn't do much of anything at all today :bag but the one thing I did manage to do was to finish cutting out all of the fleece I have for diapers, and some of the pul. I think I can get two more out of the pul I have on hand, then I need to cut the flannel and start sewing.

andrea_r
03-04-2010, 12:23 PM
I have a ton of quilt tops and small projects on the go. If I can finish just one of those, that would be progress. :D

Wonder Woman
03-04-2010, 12:36 PM
and I successfully finished *one* baby bootie while visiting w/andrea_r yesterday :shifty

Now I need to finish the second one - and the mom is 2 days overdue right now :doh

KatieMae
03-04-2010, 12:42 PM
Now I need to finish the second one - and the mom is 2 days overdue right now :doh

She's waiting for the booties! Geeze, Reb, have some compassion for the poor woman & give her the gift so she can have this baby already! :lol

and :welcome Andrea :bear

Wonder Woman
03-04-2010, 12:43 PM
She's waiting for the booties! Geeze, Reb, have some compassion for the poor woman & give her the gift so she can have this baby already! :lol

I know, right? It's horrid of me :P

andrea_r
03-04-2010, 12:50 PM
and I successfully finished *one* baby bootie while visiting w/andrea_r yesterday :shifty

And they are indeed some cute booties. :yes Did you get the button sewed on yet?

I can sew a shirt in 3 hours, but the buttons take me two months. :shrug3

Wonder Woman
03-04-2010, 12:52 PM
And they are indeed some cute booties. :yes Did you get the button sewed on yet?

I can sew a shirt in 3 hours, but the buttons take me two months. :shrug3

and that's why we're kindred spirits :giggle

I've got to get to the craft store for the perfect buttons - I'm thinking either mother of pearl, or else an antique pewter finish :think

andrea_r
03-04-2010, 01:20 PM
I was picturing two-hole flat MoP teeny ones.

Also, I shoudl mention the yarn used is yummy.

RefrigeratorArt
03-04-2010, 08:46 PM
I have a quilt top and batting ready, I just need to piece a few squares into my backing fabric and make my quilt sandwich. :) It's my first!

andrea_r
03-05-2010, 06:29 AM
RefridgeratorArt - will you post pics? I'm a quilt-a-holic. :D

I will if you will...

backtobasicsmum
03-05-2010, 08:32 AM
:giggle :heart like, maybe...you? :giggle

:shifty:heart

RefrigeratorArt
03-05-2010, 04:47 PM
RefridgeratorArt - will you post pics? I'm a quilt-a-holic. :D

I will if you will...

Yes! I will reiterate it's my first ;) , but I will definitely post a picture. :)

I also need to make Ducky's prayer lamb. Have you seen the Baby be Blessed (http://babybeblesseddolls.com/) dolls? I made some for my niece and nephew for Christmas (a girl doll and boy doll), and I bought all the materials to make my little one a lambie. But I need to actually sew it!

shaslove
03-05-2010, 05:07 PM
I will add mending and a quilt that needs signifigant work on it. I am determined!!

KatieMae
03-05-2010, 05:50 PM
I WILL be doing my mending tonight when the kids are in bed. I WILL!

Niphredil
03-05-2010, 06:15 PM
:doh

I did not start two new projects yesterday. :bag

andrea_r
03-06-2010, 08:29 AM
I remembered I made something this week AND I finished it. Thursday night maybe?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/andrea_r/4410450541/

A fabric box to leave near my cutting area so I can gather up the selvages. see?

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4022/4410450551_2bebc283f8_m.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/andrea_r/4410450551/)

It's about 6" square with recycled cardboard sides & bottom. Yay cereal boxes. ;) They shift around a bit and need more stitching so next time I think I'm going to get some really really stiff interfacing instead. Or, double some up if I find any in my stash.

I could have some & not know it... :lol

Also - the top of my freezer next to the white walls makes a really nice spot to take product shots. :P~

Wonder Woman
03-06-2010, 01:16 PM
ooooh pretty! I :heart it!

I'm feeling an overwhelming urge today to pull out my needlework and do a piece of embroidery. It's been a couple of years since I touched a project like that and I think my brain needs a reboot.

andrea_r
03-06-2010, 01:25 PM
Wonder Woman, I was rummaging thru my to-list-on-etsy pile, found some picot work & thought of you. ;P

KatieMae
03-06-2010, 01:33 PM
I WILL be doing my mending tonight when the kids are in bed. I WILL!

Mended a shirt, a sweater & two princess dresses :rockon And then this morning DH tells me he has loose buttons on his winter coat.
:crazy :lol

backtobasicsmum
03-07-2010, 05:38 PM
I remembered I made something this week AND I finished it. Thursday night maybe?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/andrea_r/4410450541/

A fabric box to leave near my cutting area so I can gather up the selvages. see?

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4022/4410450551_2bebc283f8_m.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/andrea_r/4410450551/)

It's about 6" square with recycled cardboard sides & bottom. Yay cereal boxes. ;) They shift around a bit and need more stitching so next time I think I'm going to get some really really stiff interfacing instead. Or, double some up if I find any in my stash.

I could have some & not know it... :lol

Also - the top of my freezer next to the white walls makes a really nice spot to take product shots. :P~

It it totally NOT on my UFO list, but I'm making some of these tonight for my dd. She needs a couple to match her quilt, so she can throw her little girl things into. One box for Littlest Pet shop stuff...one box for ponies...etc. :rockon
Any recommendations for things you would do differently?

KatieMae
03-07-2010, 05:48 PM
Any recommendations for things you would do differently?

Here's a similar project http://crazymomquilts.blogspot.com/2008/09/storage-cubes.html You might read her tutorial & see which methods seem better for your purpose :) Post in the March Craft Thread when you're done! :yes

Marielle
03-07-2010, 05:52 PM
I saw Nancy Zieman take on a similar project and she used buckram (http://blog.sewserendipity.com/2008/06/making-bags-what-in-heck-is-buckram.html) although I can see using squares of that plastic gridded stiff stuff some people use for crosstitching and it would make the box washable (a plus for those of us with dust sensitivities). I would just slip it in the last stages of construction like Amanda Jean's instructions. Then like Andrea mentioned doing a bit of topstitching along the top edge to keep those edges crisp and minimize shifting.

shaslove
03-10-2010, 11:57 AM
I got some mending done and then Lina got a hole in another pair of pants :shrug3. So I guess I have more mending to do!

mom2boys
03-15-2010, 10:15 AM
I got some mending done and then Lina got a hole in another pair of pants :shrug3. So I guess I have more mending to do!
:giggle One step forward, two back!
I haven't even touched my mending pile. :shifty Other then to move it from place to place in my room....

shaslove
03-15-2010, 10:22 AM
:giggle One step forward, two back!
I haven't even touched my mending pile. :shifty Other then to move it from place to place in my room....

Seriously!! this weekend I discovered the iron on patches I used don't work very well-both fell off after I washed the pants-:hunh:doh. Back to square one!!

Wonder Woman
03-15-2010, 03:39 PM
the second bootie is *almost* done - just need to do the sole and the strap, and sew on the adorable heart-shaped mother of pearl buttons.

I, um, might have gotten sidetracked on the project I plan to finish tonight - the most adorable little baby kimono for Punkie's new little one :heart Yes, she knows I'm making it :giggle