PDA

View Full Version : Clay Clarkson's "Heartfelt Discipline"

BriansLovie
02-25-2010, 09:52 AM
What are your thoughts on this book?

Punkie
02-25-2010, 10:10 AM
I often recommend it for people who are coming from a punitive paradigm. I also recommend it for fathers who are less willing to listen to a book written by a woman. Jeff VanVonderen's Families Where Grace is in Place is the other one I recommend for men who want to hear it from another man. Heartfelt Discipline is more focused on the parenting side though.

katiekind
02-25-2010, 10:19 AM
I often recommend it for people who are coming from a punitive paradigm. I also recommend it for fathers who are less willing to listen to a book written by a woman. Jeff VanVonderen's Families Where Grace is in Place is the other one I recommend for men who want to hear it from another man. Heartfelt Discipline is more focused on the parenting side though.

:tu You took the words right outta my mouth....except you said it more succinctly than I would have come up with!

Laurlor
02-25-2010, 10:22 AM
The Clarkson's are ALL about reaching your kid's hearts :heart.

HomeWithMyBabies
02-25-2010, 10:34 AM
I :heart Heartfelt Discipline. I've recommended it often.

Strumbelina
02-25-2010, 10:45 AM
I'm another fan. There's some really good stuff in that book! :heart

inesperada
02-25-2010, 10:47 AM
The only problem that I have with it is that my dh shut down completely at the theology. We didn't make it past the first chapter. :shifty But he's a (conservative side of moderate) theologian by profession and has had more than four years of Hebrew training, so theology has to be pretty strong to catch him. :shifty

Katigre
02-25-2010, 11:12 AM
I personally wasn't a huge fan of it b/c I found the writing style to be a bit meandering and there was a lot of additional parenting stuff put in besides discipline.

For lack of a better word...the book felt very outdated. I wouldn't say it's 'bad', just not my first recommendation.

I *love* Sally Clarkson's books though.

ViolaMum
02-25-2010, 11:41 AM

I agree!

I personally wasn't a huge fan of it b/c I found the writing style to be a bit meandering and there was a lot of additional parenting stuff put in besides discipline.

For lack of a better word...the book felt very outdated. I wouldn't say it's 'bad', just not my first recommendation.

I *love* Sally Clarkson's books though.

Of the two, Sally is definitely the more creative, inspiring writer. I found a lot to agree with in the book, I just found the writing to be a little too pedantic for my tastes.

cobluegirl
02-25-2010, 01:03 PM
I like it....