PDA

View Full Version : Need help to make my fruit trees grow

geegee
02-23-2010, 01:13 PM
Hi everybody!I have an orchard of baby fruit trees on my land and I need help to make them grow .So please any tip or hint or any help at all will be apreciated.

StrangeTraveller
02-23-2010, 01:21 PM
:popcorn I just planted an apple tree...

BHope
02-23-2010, 01:30 PM
:popcorn

geegee
02-24-2010, 08:32 AM
You do know that you have to grow 2 different varieties of apples to get fruit right?

StrangeTraveller
02-24-2010, 09:07 AM
You do know that you have to grow 2 different varieties of apples to get fruit right?

We have crabapples across the street :)

geegee
02-24-2010, 09:47 AM
I see.I didnt know apples and crabapples worked together.

StrangeTraveller
02-24-2010, 09:49 AM
I see.I didnt know apples and crabapples worked together.

That's what a couple of different nurseries told us :shrug3 I guess, worst case scenario, we have to plant another apple tree :giggle

RiverRock
02-24-2010, 09:58 AM
Crabapples are the best cross pollonators for a variety of fruit bearing trees. I was surprised when I researched this, but it explains why my grandparents always had a crabapple tree, despite only being able to can/preserve a portion of the fruit. I don't know where I've placed my charts, but a nursery will be able to tell you if you need to plant more than one particular kind of tree to get fruit. What your neighbours grow definately makes a difference, too. Also, try to attract bees and butterflies to help with the pollonation. I plant a variety of flowers. Some of the best for me have been nastursiums, daisies, lavender, marigold and anything trumpet shaped. It also helps if you don't use chemical pesticides on your lawn or plants. ;)

geegee
02-24-2010, 01:24 PM
We get alot of really nasty bugs.We had to spray last year because we had some sort of bettle that ate one of my cherry trees.What could I do about this if I didnt spray?

---------- Post added at 08:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:23 PM ----------

Oh,Does anyone know about what to fertilize fruit trees with?