PDA

View Full Version : What is the best mold killer?

Leslie_JJKs_mom
02-23-2010, 12:38 PM
I have mold growing my my master bath ceiling and where my roof leaked in my bedroom. I cannot afford to take down my ceiling and replace it so I just need to kill it. What works best at killing mold?

newday
02-23-2010, 12:43 PM
i think bleach - but bad to work with!!! there is a white paint called KILLZ that is supposed to help it not come back.

Mama Bird
02-23-2010, 12:47 PM
Bleach. We had to have some mold tested because we have big issues with moisture in our home. They tested and said no black mold, but we do have a form of penicillin here, and as we're all allergic to the drug, it's important to me to keep it in check. We killed it all with bleach then painted with KILZ. Their Casual Colors line is very pretty and really durable! :tu

Mama Rophe
02-23-2010, 12:51 PM
Bleach it. Then paint over it with an oil based primer, dh(who has worked with sherwin williams for 9 years now) said this is WAY better than kilz. We did that in our old bathroom. We painted over the primer with regular latex paint and never had another problem.

Leen
02-23-2010, 12:55 PM
You can also use a chemical called TSP to wash your walls down before you use the KILLZ stuff, then use bleach for maintenance. We've done that before, too. Our old bathroom was HORRIBLY moldy and the bleach then TSP then KILLZ kept it at bay for about 9 months or so.

Obviously, none of this stuff is good for you, but neither is mold, so... :shrug3

3PeasInAPod
02-23-2010, 01:39 PM
actually, I read just yesterday bleach is no longer recommended..
http://www.cmhc-schl.gc.ca/en/co/maho/yohoyohe/momo/momo_005.cfm#generalclean

<H3>Bleach is NOT recommended
The presence of organic (humic) materials, the pH (acidity/alkalinity) of the water, the surface material and contact time affect the effectiveness of bleach for disinfection. Since these factors are not generally controlled, bleach cannot be relied upon for disinfection. The most compelling reason for advising against bleach is that fumes are harmful but in addition, overuse of bleach will result in increased releases of chlorinated effluents which can be harmful to the environment
.</H3>

hey mommy
02-23-2010, 01:50 PM
What if you can't reach it? Tall ceilings, not a big enough ladder.

And if not bleach, then what??????

Leslie_JJKs_mom
02-23-2010, 04:29 PM
Thanks, We are going to have to take out the popcorn at least in the moldy area's. We are praying it is just the moisture from our bathroom that is causing surface mold and there is no mold on the other side of the drywall. It may look silly but hopfully we will not have any more mold.

Two Little Birds
02-23-2010, 04:40 PM
Looks like they are recomending a mild non-scented detergent and hot water. And a quick drying.

Leen
02-23-2010, 05:28 PM
What if you can't reach it? Tall ceilings, not a big enough ladder.

I had a friend who bought a cheap sponge mop just for that purpose.

filmgirl2911
02-23-2010, 07:29 PM
:cup

we have some of this going on in our bathroom, too, and I've been wondering the best way to deal with it.

Appreciate the helpful suggestions :)

sietebella
02-28-2010, 09:50 AM
If you are wanting to stick with the most natural route - straight vinegar. However, if that doesn't work, I go for the bleach.

sweetpeasmommy
02-28-2010, 09:53 AM
I've had good luck with thieves oil. http://aromatherapy.suite101.com/article.cfm/thieves_blend_kills_toxic_mold

hey mommy
02-28-2010, 10:52 AM
I've had good luck with thieves oil. http://aromatherapy.suite101.com/article.cfm/thieves_blend_kills_toxic_mold

So how do you use it on walls/ceilings?

PurpleButterfly
02-28-2010, 11:12 AM
Hmmm...never would have thought to try Theive's Oil! :idea

We had mold in our last house and the only thing that killed it was bleach. I would bet money that detergent and water ain't gonna do the trick! :no We never had to do anything further than the bleach, but it was an isolated area that wasn't exposed to further moisture afterward.

If it were in a leak-prone, bathroom or other humid area, I would do a TSP wash (trisodium phosphate, great for cleaning garage floors, also), bleach and water solution, then seal it with tinted shellac or repaint with latex then shellac.

sweetpeasmommy
02-28-2010, 11:18 AM
So how do you use it on walls/ceilings?

you would have to dilute it in something. I've only done it on a wall, but I sprayed it and wiped the mold away, then sprayed it again.

Leslie_JJKs_mom
02-28-2010, 12:57 PM
I cant wipe it since it is in a popcorn ceiling. I have several small leaks since the tree landed on my house so I am trying to contain it til spring when DH will fix the leaks

jame06
03-02-2010, 10:02 AM
We had mold that started growing in our duct work in our old house. My dh did research and found that either tea tree oil or grapefruit seed extract mixed with water worked very well.

I can't remember the ratio but we put it in a spray bottle and sprayed the ducts/ceiling area and let dry. Never had a problem after a couple of treatments.