PDA

View Full Version : "My leg is broken!"

ShiriChayim
02-18-2010, 09:00 PM
This is becoming more and more typical of Peyton when he doesn't want to do something he's been told to do. He claims his legs won't work, he's dizzy, he's too tired to move, etc... Then he lays on the floor. :giggle Anyone have any tips on how to work through this one?

Aerynne
02-18-2010, 09:14 PM
I give my kids the option of taking a nap or doing what I ask (if they are "too tired") They almost never take the nap. If the problem sounds serious, I say "well, if that's what's going on, we probably ought to take you to the doctor. Should I make an appointment?"

sweetpeasmommy
02-18-2010, 09:23 PM
DS does this. We just go with it. :lol "Wow, that's too bad because after (things I asked him to do) we were going to do (insert fun thing here). I sure hope you get better soon." At which point he jumps up to show me that well, he does work a little bit after all. If he didn't I would probably bend down and attach some new extra fast legs for him. ;)

mommie
02-19-2010, 07:21 AM
my five year old does the same thing.............it drives me bonkers!!!! so I will watch this thread.

jewelmcjem
02-19-2010, 07:39 AM
When I read the title, I thought "Wonder if he's 5". Duncan still does this some, but it's improving.

ValiantJoy07
02-20-2010, 06:14 AM
:popcorn
dd1 has started to say "I caaan't. I have a feeeever" :hunh when I tell her we need to go do some thing. :giggle:shrug3

newday
02-20-2010, 06:17 AM
DS does this. We just go with it. :lol "Wow, that's too bad because after (things I asked him to do) we were going to do (insert fun thing here). I sure hope you get better soon." At which point he jumps up to show me that well, he does work a little bit after all. If he didn't I would probably bend down and attach some new extra fast legs for him. ;)

this is exactly what i do.

(although, i have never thought of the extra legs bit! my dds would love that one! :tu)

Thia
02-20-2010, 06:28 AM
My 3.5 year old is doing this.

Sparrow
02-20-2010, 07:05 AM
I agree with everyone else. My brother would do this to me when I would babysit him, when he was 5. I once finally said "I''ll call our neighbour so she can help me get you to the hospital." He lay on the floor til our neighbour came over. He didn't think I'd do it....:giggle Needles to say he never did it again. I'm guessing this is right on track for his age.

ShiriChayim
02-20-2010, 07:57 AM
Peyton doesn't usually respond well to playful parenting unfortunately. Nice to know it's at least very typical behavior, every time we see something in him that's right on par for his age we cheer!!!! (Long history with him)

I think the "oh that's too bad because then we can't do this next fun thing" sounds like a good idea, he will likely respond well to that. :yes

mrsd
02-20-2010, 09:38 AM
suggest a long nap and chicken broth for supper

Waterlogged
02-20-2010, 06:00 PM
And if you decide to mention the doctor, you could also mention that they might need to give him a shot or take his blood....

sweetpeasmommy
02-20-2010, 06:46 PM
And if you decide to mention the doctor, you could also mention that they might need to give him a shot or take his blood....

IDK how that could be not punitive. :-/ Playing off a child's fear to get them to do what you want is not okay.

Waterlogged
02-20-2010, 06:55 PM
I think the very mention of the dr could be seen as punitive - it depends on the kid. :shrug3

ShiriChayim
02-20-2010, 07:41 PM
Well, Peyton deals with diagnosed anxiety, and I have to say it's been a long haul to get him to feel safe going to the doctor's office at all, I really do have strong feelings about kids being able to trust their physician. :yes

The funny part of all that though is that now he LOVES our ped so much so that when it was originally suggested I tell him we'd have to go and see the doctor I thought

Well that won't work, Dr G is his buddy! He'll start doing it just to get to go and see him! :giggle

Waterlogged
02-20-2010, 08:08 PM
Glad he's worked through his dr. issues.

I had a doctor tell me in high school that I was just a big liar...and I've been scared of doctors ever since then. I've slowly worked through it, but I know the trepidation.

Shots, OTOH, don't bother me. Neither does getting my blood drawn...:shrug3

Aerynne
02-20-2010, 09:23 PM
I think the very mention of the dr could be seen as punitive - it depends on the kid. :shrug3

I think it depends on if you're being sarcastic or not. If you genuinely would take the child to the doctor if that particular ailment were real (for example "my leg is broken"), I don't think it's punitive. And I would never mention a treatment I didn't think would happen. If a child asked me what the doctor would do, I would give them a description of what I think a doctor would do for that ailment, but telling them I'm not sure but that's what I think.

mommy2ella
02-21-2010, 11:42 PM
We get "My legs are too bendy!" around here. :giggle