PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone here do their big meal for lunch?

Jaycie
02-15-2010, 01:42 PM
And then the "lunch" type meal for dinner?
I am seriously considering this since DH is here during the day.
But I could see how it might be hard to do if we are out of the house some mornings for playgroup, etc.

Do you find that this works for your family?

Barefoot Bookworm
02-15-2010, 01:45 PM
I don't but I think it would make perfect sense if that's the meal your DH is home for.

hey mommy
02-15-2010, 01:46 PM
I would, except DH isn't here during the day.. Every once in a while he'll come home for lunch, but I never know when that'll be.

prov31craftymom
02-18-2010, 07:38 PM
No, but I have thought about it. I think that if DH was home for more than 30 min I would.

Eesti
02-18-2010, 08:07 PM
We do some days. dh comes home for lunch most of the time so it just makes sense. Dinner is often leftovers or sandwiches, etc.

Oliveshoots
02-18-2010, 08:25 PM
We are gradually working more into this type of eating schedule.

I have big lunches due to work (many times we have ministry team meetings over lunch, or I meet other church members for lunch to work on a project) Hey, we're Baptist, we center lots of things around food since to us, "fellowship=food" :giggle.

DH does not like to have a large or heavy meal after 5 or 5;30. it is impossible for me to have a full meal ready and served before 5:30, and when DH cooks, the kids and I are not always here in time to eat with him.

so dh has started having lunch with me once a week, and we have agreed that most nights (weekdays at least) we snack for dinner, and I fix the kids something healthy (they, too are having larger lunches at school and for dd, at my mom's.)

On the weekends, i like to do one big good meal a day...it used to be dinner, and someimtes Saturday breakfast, but now i try to focus on a really good big lunch meal, and then have good snack dinners (think "heavy h'or d'ouvres" or small portions of leftovers.)

so yeah, it works for our family, and I think we are going to be more intentional about making it a normal part of our routine. :tu

And this method is apparently healthier. I've read the advice to "eat like a king for breakfast, a prince for lunch, and a peasant for dinner." We kind of do this (at least on Saturdays!) but breakfast is usually a smaller snack. So we do more like a peasant-king-prince thing....or prince-king-peasant : ) Sounds like you do the King in the middle thing, too.

I like snacking for dinner...if I have a container of yogurt for dinner, I don't feel as bad munching on edamame or cereal later in the evening (although that is not ideal either, especially for me being overweight.)

euromom
02-18-2010, 08:32 PM
Interesting you started this thread because dh was just saying today that he wanted to do this...until I reminded him that the days he's at work won't work. But we decided the days he's off we want to transition to this :yes We feel like we'd feel much healthier doing this, giving us more time to digest the big meal and not going to bed with it.

Leslie_JJKs_mom
02-18-2010, 08:43 PM
I did for years when my husband worked the 3 to 11 shift. We then either had leftovers or I made something Dh did not like for our dinner.

~yogamom~
02-18-2010, 08:45 PM
I think Rabbit does if you want to poke her.

JellyBean
02-18-2010, 09:09 PM
It totally depends on the day and what mood we are in here! We probably do 50/50 on days hubby is home and usually if we do eat our big meal for dinner its earlier like 5ish.

Johns_Gal
02-18-2010, 09:17 PM
Much better to have the big meal earlier in the day. :yes

You could start a crockpot the night before of whatever, and make a big yummy salad to go with. Double a recipe of, say, cornbread, in a 13 x 9, a loaf of french bread, things like that.

Soups and stews lend themselves well to big early meals. You can also cook a bunch of chicken breasts and set them aside for use, if night is the easiest time for you to cook.