PDA

View Full Version : Dustjackets for kids books

KatieMae
02-11-2010, 02:01 PM
Do you keep them (where?) or trash them?

Herbwifemama
02-11-2010, 02:51 PM
Dd takes them all off. I'd like to keep them ON THE BOOKS. But that doesn't happen. So right now, they're all in a stack on top of some books on a bookshelf. When we move, I'll do something with them. Sorry, I know that's not much help.

Amber
02-11-2010, 03:37 PM
We take them off and keep most of them in a plastic tote. Some of them have been thrown away, but I make sure to keep the ones where there is no cover art on the actual book.

Mama Calidad
02-11-2010, 03:38 PM
I generally trash them. Otherwise, I"m having to constantly put them back on properly and/or repair them. :O

cindergretta
02-11-2010, 03:40 PM
Dd takes them all off. I'd like to keep them ON THE BOOKS. But that doesn't happen. So right now, they're all in a stack on top of some books on a bookshelf. When we move, I'll do something with them. Sorry, I know that's not much help.

I generally trash them. Otherwise, I"m having to constantly put them back on properly and/or repair them. :O

We do what HWM does b/c of what happens with MC! :giggle

swimming with sharks
02-11-2010, 03:52 PM

More clutter...they're out of here. My MIL INSISTS upon laminating them and that's even worse cuz then they don't have good folds to stay on when the kids look at them. They're gone IMMEDIATELY! :shrug3

hey mommy
02-11-2010, 03:52 PM
I keep them. Where? Umm, everywhere. LOL. They get stuffed in drawers.

MaybeGracie
02-11-2010, 03:55 PM
I want to trash them (unless the book itself doesn't have the same art on it). However, I have issues, so I keep them. Right now they're slid underneath his dresser.

cindergretta
02-11-2010, 03:56 PM
More clutter...they're out of here. My MIL INSISTS upon laminating them and that's even worse cuz then they don't have good folds to stay on when the kids look at them. They're gone IMMEDIATELY! :shrug3

I have a friend who laminates the actual book itself. :giggle She uses contact paper to do it and I think it is so cool!! :giggle I want her to come and laminate all of my childrens books. :shifty (She does laminate all the ones she gives me!! :lol )

filmgirl2911
02-11-2010, 04:10 PM
I finally decided to use them on a birthday decorating project for her second birthday (cutting up the dust jacket art and laminating it and / or mounting it on colored card stock to make my own banner of her favorite books).

I figure, given the shape of the books from so much reading, a dust jacket isn't really necessary :shrug3

This is new for me - because up until this point, I wasn't sure what to do with them; but I've decided to become better about what stays and what goes.

Oh - and I'm an absolute book lover - we have books and books and books (but the dust jackets I've finally decided to part with :D)

Sundance
02-11-2010, 04:18 PM
I finally decided to use them on a birthday decorating project for her second birthday (cutting up the dust jacket art and laminating it and / or mounting it on colored card stock to make my own banner of her favorite books).

I figure, given the shape of the books from so much reading, a dust jacket isn't really necessary :shrug3

This is new for me - because up until this point, I wasn't sure what to do with them; but I've decided to become better about what stays and what goes.

Oh - and I'm an absolute book lover - we have books and books and books (but the dust jackets I've finally decided to part with :D)

Awesome idea!

I voted keep, but they're really all over the place. Our books are on shelves (up high where no kid can reach), packed away in boxes, and in my pantry, lol. One day, when we get them all organized, I hope to do something with the book jackets...good ideas here!

MaybeGracie
02-11-2010, 04:18 PM

I like that idea! :rockon I just don't know if I could bring myself to actually cut a dustjacket. Like I said, I have issues. :giggle

BeckaBlue
02-11-2010, 04:32 PM
i keep em on the books, ill tape em on if necessary. if they get ripped tho i throw em away

NovelMama
02-11-2010, 05:59 PM
I have weird issues with dustjackets, too. I keep them stacked between bookends on top of the girls' armoire in their bedroom. I can't bring myself to get rid of them and I don't know why--it's not like the books will be worth keeping, most likely, once they've outgrown them, since PJ is so destructive. But to just throw them out or cut them up....ugh, why can't I do it!??! The cutting up idea is a really good one.

Autumn
02-11-2010, 06:13 PM
I throw them away as soon as the book comes into the house - when I was a kid I was always driving my Mom crazy by losing them because I couldn't stand it sliding around while I was trying to consume a book :giggle

abh5e8
02-11-2010, 07:06 PM
they are all in a tote in the basement...not sure why i keep them :think guess i have issues too :grin

solatido
02-12-2010, 07:09 PM
Order rolls of library book covering materials from Demco!! My DH is a librarian and taught me how to cover dustjackets. It's really easy. Just get a roll the size of your biggest book- unless the sizes are totally different.

And make sure you tape the cover TO the book with STRONG tape- top and bottom, front and back.

Barefoot Bookworm
02-12-2010, 07:25 PM
I haaate dustjackets. It's a little extreme how much I hate them so I toss 'em out. I used to keep them and gave up recently.

Radosny Matka
02-12-2010, 07:50 PM
I kept them for a while, but then it felt ridiculous to me, and they were scattered everywhere, half ripped. So, I finally just broke down and tossed them all, and then I felt freeeeeee!

illinoismommy
02-12-2010, 08:51 PM
I want to trash them (unless the book itself doesn't have the same art on it). However, I have issues, so I keep them.

Me too!

JuneBug
02-12-2010, 09:45 PM
Auds has a 4ft grandfather clock in her room with a cabinet behind the clock face. They're all stuffed in there. I'm a sentimental packrat and just can't throw them incase she'd want them.

KatieMae
02-13-2010, 07:35 AM
Right, so, I threw them out :tu The kids beat up the books (not maliciously, just from a lot of kids reading them over & over again!) so I don't see any point in keeping the covers, just to toss them when I decide the book is no longer usable.

Thanks all!

Firebird Rising
02-13-2010, 07:38 AM
keeping them for a collage project on my kid table.

Jen D

filmgirl2911
02-13-2010, 10:14 AM
keeping them for a collage project on my kid table.

Jen D

that's a really cool idea :tu I may have to borrow that after the birthday party ;)

schmamy
02-13-2010, 10:16 AM
it was REALLY hard at first--but I've started trashing them. as long as the cover looks exactly like the dust jacket--which it does 90 percent of the time--I don't see the point. they aren't going to stay on, they're just going to get ripped, and saving them creates clutter. so in the recycle bin they go. trying to simplify.