PDA

View Full Version : Steam mop and a streaky floor

Psyche
02-11-2010, 11:52 AM
Would distilled water help?

Even though its leaving streaks, I :heart it so much. I mopped today and it got up so much nasty. However if I can get it not leave streaks, I'll love even more. Any suggestions if distilled water wouldn't help??

Serafine
02-11-2010, 11:56 AM
what kind do you have?

We have not had that problem with our shark...but we are anal retentive about following the directions...mainly the DO NOT LEAVE THE MOP IN ANY SPOT FOR MORE THAN a second or two.

The reviews I have read state that you really need to be diligent about the constant movement, rather than trying to work on any one spot too long.

Also, I know others have had problems when they don't sweep first...so the mopping needs to be more intense, therefore the steam is left in one spot too long, therefore streaking.

That is all I have for you...probably not helpful, but hey, I tried! ;)

ETA: Oh, and we only use distilled water, b/c we have hard well water...so I don't know if that would make a difference or not. Probably worth a try, right?

Psyche
02-11-2010, 12:05 PM
Yup we have a shark.

Llee
02-11-2010, 02:56 PM
Are you using tap water? That's the #1 reason I've seen for the streaks. The distilled water does make a difference and it helps the mop to last longer too.

Blue Savannah
02-11-2010, 05:21 PM
Maybe not helpful, but I remember the instructions on mine stating that the first few times would be streaky because the mop is removing buildup, but after that it should get better?

Mine's not a shark, btw.

ThirstyTurtle
02-11-2010, 05:28 PM
Maybe not helpful, but I remember the instructions on mine stating that the first few times would be streaky because the mop is removing buildup, but after that it should get better?

:yes My directions said something like that, too.

mommylove
02-12-2010, 08:53 AM
Hey, can I hijack with a quick Shark question? Is it bad to leave water in the reservoir? I've made it a point not to, but had company come over on Tuesday, interrupting my mopping. I meant to get back to it, but didn't. So the water has been in it since then. I'll finish mopping today, but is it bad that the water has been sitting in it?

Psyche
02-12-2010, 09:26 AM
I didn't read anything about emptying it

mommylove
02-12-2010, 09:31 AM
I didn't read anything about emptying it

Neither did I. :shrug3

Heather R
02-12-2010, 09:54 AM
Also, don't use fabric softener when you wash the mop heads, or that will leave streaks, too.

ThirstyTurtle
02-12-2010, 05:37 PM
I don't think leaving the water in it will hurt it. I wouldn't do it on a regular basis though, especially if it's left for long periods of time. :shrug3