PDA

View Full Version : Tips for buying used Le Creuset?

Auroras mom
02-09-2010, 08:26 PM
I am looking into maybe purchasing some Le Creuset from ebay, but am worried that my ignorance may lead me to getting taken advantage of. What should I be looking out for (besides vendor feedback, etc.)?

What prices should I expect to pay (percentage of full retail)?

Do chips and scratches matter in terms of performance?

Do any Le Creuset items have teflon coating in the interior?

CapeTownMommy
02-09-2010, 11:05 PM
No idea on the buying side and prices, but I'll say this:

First of all, there are two types of Le Creuset. Stoneware and cast iron. I can't give you actual prices b/c I'm not in the US, but the stoneware is much, much cheaper than the cast iron. And less versatile and less durable - you can't use it on the stove, and it'll break if you drop it. So don't buy stoneware thinking it's cheap if you're comparing it to the price of cast iron, kwim?

I absolutely believe chips and scratches will make a difference in the performance of the enameled, cast iron pots. You need those in top condition - well, on the inside anyway. The enamel is a fantastic non-stick surface but I think scratches will pretty much ruin that.

We have 2 stoneware baking dishes and 3 cast iron pots - the cast iron totally, totally rocks.

Rabbit
02-09-2010, 11:18 PM
They are so expensive to ship that you really might be better off buying new locally than paying to ship used.

Auroras mom
02-10-2010, 07:35 AM
There are several vendors selling items for less than $100, new, w/ free or very cheap shipping.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200434874187&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I just don't know what the regular price would be.

I don't believe I can purchase Le Creuset anywhere in my town, so I will have to order it online regardless.

---------- Post added at 09:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:33 AM ----------

and a few mint-looking used ones like this w/ cheap shipping

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260549385424&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT