PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes making a recipe healthy just doesn't work...

April G
02-09-2010, 04:43 PM
I tried to make a chocolate cake the other day and substituted kamut for white flour, and a sour cream/rice dream mix for the buttermilk. :yuck Not good. They were really tasteless and dense. :yuck

HomeyT
02-09-2010, 07:03 PM
oh this is me too! i always ruin things making them healthy. i've learned to just take baby steps instead of totally revising the recipe. now i have a few recipes i feel quite comfortable substituting. they always turn out different but they are usually edible and even yummy. i haven't have much trouble subbing kamut flour. maybe it was the rise dream??

Emerald Orchid
02-12-2010, 06:33 PM
I tried to make a chocolate cake the other day and substituted kamut for white flour, and a sour cream/rice dream mix for the buttermilk. :yuck Not good. They were really tasteless and dense. :yuck

I don't know if you do soy, but you can make a buttermilk substitute by putting 1 tbsp vinegar in a measuring cup and filling it up to one cup with soy milk. Let sit 5 min. This always works in my recipes.

Rabbit
02-12-2010, 06:34 PM
I think that same trick works with rice dream.

Emerald Orchid
02-12-2010, 06:49 PM
I think it does, as with almond, but it's not as creamy as with soy.

Katiebug
02-12-2010, 06:55 PM
Allergies aside, I think sometimes we need to just let chocolate cake be who it was made it be:lol

catholicmama
02-20-2010, 07:27 PM
There are some great allergen friendly baking recipes that tend to be healthier. Using different whole grain flours and changing some of the other content to make up for the substitutions. Most of the time (from what I read) you can't just sub in any flour for another...it's a little more complex! :sigh I've done some experimenting with some of the recipes I was unhappy with...sometimes they end up not as healthy...:giggle but the texture and flavor improves.

There are great recipes on blogs that work better and are healthier than mine...using pumpkin/honey/and whole grains...etc.

Of course most of this is more to treat my dd...and has little to do with being healthy!