PDA

View Full Version : Windows - help me figure this out

Llee
02-09-2010, 05:50 AM
So we finally get to replace the windows in our house. We're upgrading from the original 1959 windows. :) And just in time too. I've heard rumors that window prices for older homes will be increasing after April due to new lead laws.

What window brands have you liked? What has worked for you window-wise? What should we watch out for?

I need a lot of wisdom here! :yes

bananacake
02-09-2010, 03:43 PM
No ideas, but :bump

Hermana Linda
02-09-2010, 04:01 PM
We just got the cheapest double pane windows we could find and installed them. :shrug3

scrappyknits
02-10-2010, 12:24 AM
we like windows that slide open from the top (opens the top, but has the option of leaving the bottom closed) for the safety of little ones....
we also like windows that slide instead of rolling open (sticks out from the house)... the rolling ones capture weather, leaves, bugs, etc, and can get blown of the house much faster in a windstorm!

Llee
02-10-2010, 01:49 AM
Oooh, good points y'all. And thanks for the bump Banana Cake.

We want to be able to take advantage of the tax credit too, so I don't think we'll be able to go with the absolute cheapest we can find.

I've been told Pella and Anderson ones are good and will be checking into those. Gotta remember the whole 'open from the top' thing though. :)

Rabbit
02-10-2010, 01:53 AM
Prices are going up because removing old windows can potentially seriously contaminate your home with lead, and they are now requiring lead abatement and containment procedures that you seriously want in place anyway. Be sure that your contractor is certified to remove windows that may be contaminated with lead paint.

Llee
02-10-2010, 02:14 AM
I'd heard about that Natalie--it's starting in April, which is why we're happy we got our refund and can replace them now. We're glad we have a brick house and unpainted sills though! Makes me feel a little better. Now if I could just figure out how to best waterproof the basement...

Good point about the contractor certification too.