PDA

View Full Version : Ok, judge me. Please.

SouthPaw
02-08-2010, 07:53 PM
I REALLY wanted to get these dishes (pic at end of post). We do need new dishes, and they match all the colors of my house, for example (totally random pic but all the colors are there):

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b101/DixieKitten/P1000011.jpg

So I mentioned them on another message board I am on that is really small, and everyone said they were awful and not to get them :bag

So I really need to know. I mean, be HONEST. Are they ugly or pretty? Really. I can take it :shifty

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b101/DixieKitten/lisbon.jpg

Psyche
02-08-2010, 07:55 PM
They aren't my style but I do not think they are ugly.

SamRose
02-08-2010, 07:56 PM
I wouldnt call them pretty, but they're not ghastly. :shrug3

Singingmom
I think they're beautiful! :heart

I love them with your colors. They're artistic and fun.

mamaKristin
I think they are pretty - wouldn't go with my house and decor, but I like them :tu

Starfox
02-08-2010, 07:58 PM
I *love* them!!! I think they're fun and different and have an old-world sensibility to them too. I think they'd go good in your house too. I :heart the plates, the bowl is nice too, but I'm not a fan of the cup. It bothers me that the pattern stops for the handle. The nicest thing about the pattern is the interesting things it does as it travels around in a circle... it's too bad they made that design choice. But realistically, you'll use the plates and bowls much more, so it really wouldn't stop me from buying them.

SouthPaw
02-08-2010, 07:59 PM
Yeah I would actually not get the cup. I don't think I would ever use it? Who uses matching cups?

SamRose, 'not ghastly' made me LOL :D At least they are not ghastly!!

Herbwifemama
02-08-2010, 08:00 PM
I think they're pretty. They remind me of Mediterranean or Italian pottery.

MarynMunchkins
I like them! :tu

Rabbit
They are absolutely perfect for your style, and I drool over them. I love stepping away from the traditional patterns. It reminds me of the opulence and designs in Moroccan mosaics, instead of tea sipping English ladies.

TuneMyHeart
02-08-2010, 08:01 PM
I LOVE them!

Havilah
02-08-2010, 08:02 PM
I think they look cool and they definitely fit your color themes. I tend to gravitate toward simpler plates... but I would never, ever say those are awful! :no

My mom had "busy" plates the whole time I was growing up and I think back on them so fondly. She gave me a little creamer pitcher that she decluttered and it's one of my favorite things now. It's dated, but it brings back warm fuzzies. :hearts

I occasionally wish I had plates that were more memorable.

Oh, what the heck. While I'm rambling on about irrelevance I'll post a picture of my mom's pattern. :O

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=29239767

Yeah. If you like them, get them. :yes

SamRose
02-08-2010, 08:04 PM
SamRose, 'not ghastly' made me LOL :D At least they are not ghastly!!
:giggle
If it helps, I probably shouldnt even vote, cuz our dishes R really boring (just black, just white, or off white w/ a blue edge), and our house (a rental) has all white walls, etc. :lol

SouthPaw
02-08-2010, 08:04 PM
those are pretty and fun! we have done 'blah plain white' for 8 years now and i am just soooo over it.

oh yeah - the Moroccan/Mediterranean thing is totally what I am going for and LOVE so it is good to know I am at least looking at the right pieces!! :heart

Aisling
02-08-2010, 08:08 PM
*singsong voice* Gorrrrr-geous! :hearts :drool: :melting

mountainash
02-08-2010, 08:24 PM
IMO, the pattern resembles Norwegian rosemaling far more closely than anything Moroccan. I don't care for it but it isn't horrid. :shrug3

(Sorry! :blush)

anna
02-08-2010, 08:26 PM
i think they're perfect for your place - they not my style and would look out of place in my house, but i can absolutely see why you love them!

expatmom
02-08-2010, 08:31 PM
They look more eastern European then Mediterranean/Moroccan to me. I had a friend who used to live in Hungary who had almost identical dishes. They also remind me of dishes I saw in the Czech Republic, except those had blue in them.

I like them.

Emerald Orchid
02-08-2010, 08:34 PM
I like them! Get them so I can live vicariously through you, as dh would NEVER let me get that style! ;)

Rabbit
02-08-2010, 08:37 PM
IMO, the pattern resembles Norwegian rosemaling far more closely than anything Moroccan.

That would make sense because Norwegian rosemaling was the result of introducing baroque/Mediterranean art to the Norwegian countryside and its people.

Charlie U
02-08-2010, 08:42 PM
I like the colors. I think they're spot on with what you've got. I don't care for the pattern, though. It's one of those subjective things. My pattern is "old lady rose". So, take that FWIW. :lol

Punkie
02-08-2010, 08:44 PM
I like 'em, and I think they go well with your house and style :grin

MamaPepper
02-08-2010, 08:46 PM
I don't care for the pattern on the cup for some reason, but I LOOOOOVE the bowl and the plate.

SouthPaw
02-08-2010, 08:48 PM
dh would NEVER let me get that style!

yeah um... well he will not see it until he gets back in 8 months and by then it will be far too late for a plausible forced return to the store :shifty

Singingmom
02-08-2010, 09:23 PM
That would make sense because Norwegian rosemaling was the result of introducing baroque/Mediterranean art to the Norwegian countryside and its people.

This is what I meant to say. :glasses

No, not really. Natalie, is there no end to the stuff you know? You're so cool. :hug

Rabbit
02-08-2010, 09:27 PM
I spent three years in Portugal, where I learned a little about Mediterranean art, and its Arabic influences. And I google hard and fast. :wink I have a serious thing for pottery and mosiacs.

Did you know that the Portuguese have Viking and Arabic blood? There's a fun fact for you.

Elora
02-08-2010, 09:28 PM
love them :)

SouthPaw
02-08-2010, 09:38 PM
Rabbit - I think it's cool I am probably 1/256 Moorish (we are Sicilian WAY back) :giggle In fact my great grandpa's nickname was "Blackie" :shifty because he was so dark skinned.

Teribear
02-08-2010, 09:43 PM
They aren't my style but I do not think they are ugly.

That. Exactly.

And with the colors in your house, if they're YOUR style, I think they could be perfect for you.

mommylove
02-08-2010, 09:48 PM
That. Exactly.

And with the colors in your house, if they're YOUR style, I think they could be perfect for you.

Ditto.

BTW, I have the exact same tile throughout my house. I love it. And I love it even more now that I have a steam pocket mop. :giggle

Cherish
02-08-2010, 09:54 PM
honestly I think they are quite nice. :) I may not have picked them out for me but I would enjoy eating off them if I were over for dinner. They really DO suit your house! Ignore your other friends, they probably just don't get out much! ;)

StrangeTraveller
02-08-2010, 09:56 PM
I actually gasped a little when I saw them. Gorgeous!

ArmsOfLove
02-08-2010, 10:00 PM
I LOVE THEM! gorgeous :yes

April G
02-08-2010, 10:02 PM
I LOOOOOOVE the plates... the mug and bowl not so much... If you love them, go for it! :heart

Can'tTurnLeft
02-08-2010, 10:09 PM
From what I know of *you* they fit you :)

I wouldn't be thrilled if someone gave them to me as a gift, but I think I would totally pick them for you (and I'm a freaking AWESOME gift giver) I think you should buy them, enjoy them, and think of me often when you eat off of them. ;) They fit you!

BeckaBlue
02-08-2010, 10:14 PM
i don't care for em. i think they'd make really pretty for plate hangups, i just prefer more plain dishes for eating :giggle
i voted the 2nd choice, but obviously its not quite right since i would like them as art so maybe i shoulda said 'other'

Maggie
02-09-2010, 07:51 AM
Beautiful! Love 'em!

StumblinMama
02-09-2010, 07:58 AM
:heart them!!! They look very classy.

Mama Rophe
02-09-2010, 08:05 AM
I love them! The cup is actually my favorite, but then I LOVE coffee mugs! LOL.

Rea T
02-09-2010, 08:22 AM
Not my style, but I think they complement your colors well and if is your style...well, they are YOUR dishes! I do think they are pretty in a very overly ornate way, but I think it is fun to go to other people's houses and see how their dinnerware shows their style so if I were your friend you could feed me off of those dishes. :wink

RooMama
02-09-2010, 08:22 AM
My likey!

swimming with sharks
02-09-2010, 08:28 AM
I LOVE them!!! :yes :heart Are they Herend Village pottery? :shrug3

if not disregard this part: I have the petunia/morning glory in blues and they've held up SOOOOO well for the last 11 years through an overseas move and a halfway across the states move!!! They're awesome, fridge, microwave, oven, table, dishwasher.

curlymopmom
02-09-2010, 08:45 AM
I think they are beautiful! I personally wouldn't want my plates that busy (I stick with white for plates so I can see my food in all its glory :giggle). I LOVE the design and am drawn to things like that too so I can see why you like it.

BearyBlessed
02-09-2010, 08:48 AM
I think they are pretty, though they are too busy for me.
If they match your decor and you like them, then go for it!

Six Little Feet
02-09-2010, 08:50 AM
I like them, but I would also have to have a white set if I got those, I like *plating* my food and the plates are a bit busy for good plating...

Auroras mom
02-09-2010, 08:55 AM
I love that style of pottery. get them!!

SouthPaw
02-09-2010, 09:01 AM
I like *plating* my food I don't even know what this is :lol I feel like a clod.

Oh and they are from World Market. My favorite store in the universe.

Punkie
02-09-2010, 09:03 AM
I think I saw that set, and if it is the same one that I am thinking of, then the dinner plate is less busy than the salad plate, right?

Like this?

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l229/hippiemommy/pCPWM-6011489t130.jpg

Maybe that helps for the mamas who feel it is too busy. ;)

SouthPaw
02-09-2010, 09:26 AM
yep! that is it! you know, i think i even snagged a pic from the store... hold on...

TuneMyHeart
02-09-2010, 09:26 AM
this thread totally has me wanting new plates. :lol mine are white because I was trying to be smart when we registered for our wedding, and get something that would always match. Now I just think they're boring. :giggle

SouthPaw
02-09-2010, 09:28 AM
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b101/DixieKitten/P1050677.jpg

they're not on sale any more though :pout

Firebird Rising
02-09-2010, 09:34 AM
They are absolutely perfect for your style, and I drool over them. I love stepping away from the traditional patterns. It reminds me of the opulence and designs in Moroccan mosaics, instead of tea sipping English ladies.

This and I'm :melting over them

If only I had the house...and the color scheme...

They'd go well with wooden bowls for serving, IMHO.

Jen D.

Drew
02-09-2010, 09:42 AM
Not my style.

yeah um... well he will not see it until he gets back in 8 months and by then it will be far too late for a plausible forced return to the store :shifty

:giggle I bought our dishes while my husband was on a business trip because I knew he wouldn't want to get them.

Katigre
02-09-2010, 09:45 AM
From someone who has been to that country...they don't look Moroccan at all :no. Mediterranean styling is very different from the Moorish styling of Morrocco. They are very Mediterranean (hence the name "Lisbon" :giggle).

They are quite...busy. So much pattern that it would detract from the food on the plate. I'm not sure if that's a concern for you or not - it honestly never occurred to me to match dishes with my house. I do agree that those dishes match really well, and the salad plates in particular might look nice on a plate rack on the wall.

The colors will also look dated in a few years - the mustard yellow in particular. I think if you love them then get them :yes. But they're definitely not a neutral pattern, so they'll be either love them or hate them.

I'm a minimalist at heart whose favorite colors are black and white, so they don't fit my aesthetic. So take my advice what it's worth from someone who doesn't use any type of pattern at all in her kitchen and home ;).

JenLovie
02-09-2010, 09:53 AM
I think they're pretty, but I would probably only get one part of the set (large dish or small dish) and use it as an accent piece with plain white dishes.

Rabbit
02-09-2010, 03:23 PM
I'm laughing so much at the Lisbon name. That's where I learned about how Moorish designs influenced their pottery designs (and so much more). The Moors conquored Lisbon in the 700's. It is thoroughly a Mediterranean design, as influenced by the Moors.

kwisie
02-09-2010, 03:34 PM
I think they're pretty, but I would probably only get one part of the set (large dish or small dish) and use it as an accent piece with plain white dishes.

:up That.

Forsynthianicki
02-09-2010, 03:48 PM
They are beautiful dishes. Not my style but beautiful. The important thing is if you like them and will enjoy using them. Another thing I think about when buying household items is if I like them enough that I anticipate still liking them in 3 or 7 or 10 yrs? There have been times I have thought that I would replace something within a few years but am still using it.

Singingmom
02-09-2010, 05:11 PM
At such a reasonable price, it's ok if you don't love them for the rest of your life. :)

Radosny Matka
02-09-2010, 06:00 PM
I love them. They are really pretty. It's not something I would probably buy for my house, but if I was eating at your house, I would compliment and rave over how awesome they are. That said, if you don't looooove them, don't get them.