PDA

View Full Version : Frosting with Coconut Oil?

DoulaClara
02-08-2010, 04:26 PM
Would it be gross to sub CO for butter in frosting? Or even part of it? (Like, a typical confectioner sugar/butter/milk type of thing)

mellifera
02-08-2010, 04:36 PM
I've subbed coconut oil for butter in a carrot cake icing--I thought that it worked well, but my dh didn't care for it. The coconut flavor was pretty pronounced. It seems it would be good on a chocolate cake, with dried coconut flakes on top. :yum

StumblinMama
02-08-2010, 04:58 PM
I used coconut instead of half the butter in biscuits a couple weeks back. I know that's totally different, but they were very yummy.

Pretty gross, but I seem to remember a frosting recipe that used crisco :sick
If crisco can be used in frosting, that certainly coconut oil can :yes

NewLeaf
02-08-2010, 05:01 PM
I've subbed partial CO and it was so yummy!

Katiebug
02-08-2010, 05:13 PM
The famous BabyCakes of NYC uses c.o. in their frosting.

Lady TS
02-08-2010, 05:22 PM
Crisco is in the classic cake frosting. Probably because it's flavorless and takes on other flavors well.

My take is that if you like coconut, it will make delicious frosting. If not, not so much then. I don't think dh would particularly care for it(but then, I am kinda using coconut in a lot of stuff lately :shifty).

Let me know how it goes. I've been pondering using CO for frosting as a dairy-free alternative.

BearyBlessed
02-09-2010, 08:00 AM
What timing! I was *just* coming to post about this! :giggle

Punkin is dairy free, so I tried using coconut oil in some chocolate frosting over the weekend.
Oh my goodness! It was so yummy! It tasted quite like a Mounds bar. DH loved it too. But, we both like coconut. It definitely would not work if you don't like the coconut flavor.

Maggie
02-09-2010, 08:20 AM
I know the unrefined coconut oil has a strong coconut flavor, but I didn't think the refined stuff did. Maybe that's just b/c I like strong coconut flavor, though.

If you don't like the thought of coconutty frosting, try palm oil instead. That should work well.

Loralie
02-09-2010, 11:22 PM
I know the unrefined coconut oil has a strong coconut flavor, but I didn't think the refined stuff did. Maybe that's just b/c I like strong coconut flavor, though.

This is accurate. I keep the unrefined around just because I *want* the coconut flavor in the frostings. :lol

CapeTownMommy
02-09-2010, 11:58 PM
FWIW, co works really well in marshmallow fondant.

liz08
06-24-2010, 08:14 AM
You can definitely substitute the butter for coconut oil. Coconut oil (http://www.seacoastvitamins.com/supplement/nature-s-way-efa-gold-coconut-oil-16-oz-1883) can be used as a replacement in cooking for both butter and other oils. If you like the coconut flavor, then don't worry about what kind you get (I believe the extra virgin type tends to have the coconut flavor to it), but if you prefer not to have the flavor change the taste of the frosting (or whatever else you might make), then get the expellar pressed. This type shouldn't have nay coconut flavor to it. Have fun experimenting. It's really great stuff for cooking and baking, and has so many health benefits!