PDA

View Full Version : Do you wear shoes in the house?

MrsHutch
02-08-2010, 08:16 AM
I think it is so disgusting to wear shoes in the house. My mom trained me all growing up not to go off of the rug by the front door if I had shoes on. But my ILs wear their shoes in the house all the time and it totally grosses me out! :sick There is just SO MUCH junk that you track in, and then J and I are on the floor playing all day.

Does your family wear shoes in the house?

Lila
02-08-2010, 08:18 AM
I don't understand indoor-shoe-wearers, so I can't help you. :P~

2sunshines
02-08-2010, 08:20 AM
never never never. We always remove our shoes at the front door.

However, I have found that it may be a regional thing. When I went to school down south, many people in the area I was did not remove their shoes. Actually, I had a friend tell me that it was nasty to remove your shoes cause now you're getting your gross socks and bare feet germs all over the house. :giggle :shrug3

brandi
02-08-2010, 08:23 AM
It is rule in my house to remove shoes at the door. I think it is nasty to wear your shoes in the house, especially since my DC play on that floor. I don't let them play on the floor at the Walmart, why would I want them to play on a floor that people have walked all over in their street shoes.

HomeWithMyBabies
02-08-2010, 08:26 AM
Peanut does, because he can't wear his ankle foot orthosis without shoes. Sometimes Dh wears shoes in the house and I just don't get it...although he has very mild arch issues so maybe it's just more comfortable.

I don't care for it myself, I like to be barefoot and of course there is the issue of tracking things into the house.

Raspberries
02-08-2010, 08:29 AM
I sometimes forget to take them off right away, but I don't wear them in the house as a general rule - just to wear them. DH tries to remember to take his off at the door too. I don't like shoes in the house.

I once knew someone whose mom would have a fit if you did NOT wear shoes in the house because she insisted the oils from your feet would dirty her carpet.

Stacy
02-08-2010, 08:32 AM
Never purposefully, but we do wear them for quick trips inside for something, which honestly, has helped ruin my carpets. :(

BHope
02-08-2010, 08:33 AM
I hate it. It ooks me out. My hubby, on the other hand, insists on wearing shoes. Seriously he wakes up and puts shoes on.:no

Mama Calidad
02-08-2010, 08:35 AM
Yes, I wear my shoes in the house. Ever since I broke my foot, I can't get away with going shoe-less long. I don't really get the aversion to shoes, though. Either way, feet are kinda gross. :shrug

---------- Post added at 09:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:34 AM ----------

I once knew someone whose mom would have a fit if you did NOT wear shoes in the house because she insisted the oils from your feet would dirty her carpet.

The oils in your feet definitely transfer to the flooring. :yes

inesperada
02-08-2010, 08:36 AM
Yes and no. I usually take them off fairly quickly, but more because I want my shoes off than because I think it's gross or bad.

Allison
02-08-2010, 08:36 AM
I don't and the children don't. But dh does and yeah his mom does too. I take my shoes off at her and she thinks it's odd. I can't stand shoes in the house.

Charlie U
02-08-2010, 08:40 AM
The majority of the time, I don't wear shoes in the house. I will wear them every now and again, but I prefer not to. I have a very hard time finding shoes that fit. My feet are two different sizes. On top of that, my right foot has started swelling when I wear shoes, thanks mostly to the injury when I fell down the stairs.

Raspberries
02-08-2010, 08:46 AM

Oh I don't doubt it. What was weird about it to me, though, was that she didn't see that the dirt and oils on the bottom of shoes would also be an issue, and perhaps dirtier (maybe not more oily though).

MrsHutch
02-08-2010, 08:48 AM
I just walked away for a minute and was thinking that I hope this doesn't come off as "I think you're gross" to anyone who does wear shoes in the house. :giggle

I mostly just get grossed out by my ILs wearing shoes in the house because J is all over the floor, and I needed someone else to tell me I'm not weird for being this way. :)

My BFF and her son came to my parents' house recently and she never took her shoes off and I was just so :hunh the whole time because *nobody* wears shoes in my parents house! It was just so weird to see her shoes on my mom's carpet. Of course I didn't say anything cause I didn't want her to feel bad, but was freaking out in my mind the whole time. :giggle

Pragmatist
02-08-2010, 08:50 AM
We always wore shoes in the house when I was growing up. DH, however, completely flips out if shoes are worn inside, so now there is a no shoe rule.

CapeTownMommy
02-08-2010, 09:03 AM
I don't have strong feelings either way, but I always kick off my shoes at the first opportunity - I work in a high-powered corporate environment and my colleagues kept teasing me about being pg and barefoot last year. :giggle

euromom
02-08-2010, 09:10 AM
Since dh is Romanian you know my answer. No shoes in our house unless they are "house shoes" But in the U.S. we don't do house shoes just barefoot or socks since we don't believe my ovaries will be getting a "cold" :giggle

Growing up my dad's always been a 'put his shoes on in the morning and don't take them off til evening kinda guy' so I grew up with shoes being ok in the house but me personally prefering to be barefooted anyway for comfort.

ITU you being grossed out for the sake of your ds crawling around, especially with carpet. We have pergo like floors now so I don't think that would gross me out as much if we did happen to wear our shoes past the front door, but if we still had carpet I might feel differently.

Niphredil
02-08-2010, 09:14 AM
No shoes in our house. I don't need all that gunk tracked around, we make enough gunk on our own. ;)

I really dislike being barefoot, though, so I always wear slippers.

MrsHutch
02-08-2010, 09:16 AM
Since dh is Romanian you know my answer. No shoes in our house unless they are "house shoes" But in the U.S. we don't do house shoes just barefoot or socks since we don't believe my ovaries will be getting a "cold" :giggle

Hahahaha yes! It's the same way in Moldova, nobody wears shoes inside. Actually at our school, the classrooms are carpeted so we have the students take off their shoes at the door. They ALL keep a pair of houseshoes to wear in class and get onto me when I go in my sock feet, or *gasp* BARE feet! :giggle :P~

RiverRock
02-08-2010, 09:23 AM
I wear clean shoes in the house or have bare feet most of the time. I don't like wearing socks because they invariably pick up dirt. Most of our floors are lino and hardwood. If I had carpet I wouldn't wear shoes because carpet has a way of keeping socks clean. :shrug3 Interestingly, most Canadians are known for removing shoes at the door, and there is an assumption that Americans wear shoes in the house most of the time. I guess it is just an urban myth. :)

KatieMae
02-08-2010, 09:33 AM
No shoes in our house. I don't need all that gunk tracked around, we make enough gunk on our own. ;)

I really dislike being barefoot, though, so I always wear slippers.

Same here :yes I will go barefoot on the hottest days in summer, but I almost always have socks on, and slippers too in the winter! I've trained the kids that shoes come off as soon as we come inside. DH usually forgets though - he needs more training :lol I don't insist it of my guests though... I just vacuum the carpet ASAP after they leave :shifty

light of mine
02-08-2010, 09:43 AM
I don't really have any objections to shoes in my house, but the second I come in the door, my shoes are the first to go (next is my bra :giggle). My kids and DH are the same way. We just don't like shoes.

hey mommy
02-08-2010, 09:45 AM
Yes, I wear shoes in the house & I hate going to houses where I have to take mine off. It drives me nuts. It's probably one reason why I hate going to BIL's house. Well that and it's so spotless & perfect I'm afraid to breathe b/c I might get something dirty.

Radosny Matka
02-08-2010, 09:48 AM
Never. I hate shoes in the house, and I HATE the dh looooves to wear shoes in the house. I'm always harking on him. I can't help but think of people spitting on the sidewalks, and all the other nasty things one steps on while walking outside, and then bringing them into the house on the floors. :sick

mattattsmama
02-08-2010, 09:52 AM
No shoes in our house.

I'm not militant - I wouldn't tell a guest they have to remove their shoes. Just the concept of shoes on the carpet creeps me out a little. I also automatically take my shoes off when I go to someone else's house. Just habit I guess, but I also have to make sure I have decent socks to wear there!

I wear slippers in the house in the winter.

euromom
02-08-2010, 09:59 AM
Hahahaha yes! It's the same way in Moldova, nobody wears shoes inside. Actually at our school, the classrooms are carpeted so we have the students take off their shoes at the door. They ALL keep a pair of houseshoes to wear in class and get onto me when I go in my sock feet, or *gasp* BARE feet! :giggle :P~

my MIL gets after us all the time if we don't wear our houseshoes at her house...she will chase me around with them until I put them on :giggle

I can't help but think of people spitting on the sidewalks, and all the other nasty things one steps on while walking outside, and then bringing them into the house on the floors. :sick

Or walking in public restrooms and picking up whatever is on those floors :sick

hopeforchange
02-08-2010, 09:59 AM
my mom just does not go barefoot. it's very uncomfortable for her, so i grew up in a house where once you put your shoes on for something, you prolly kept them on.

i always take my shoes off b/c i prefer being barefoot (or wearing socks). but now that i've gotten a fairly decent stash of super comfy, lightweight, very flexible shoes, sometimes i don't kick mine off as fast. :) i'm also more likely to keep my shoes on in the winter b/c my feet get cold without shoes on.

i one of those who lets my kids crawl on walmart/mall floors. :shrug3 i figure it builds their immune system. :giggle so i don't really worry about the floor in my house...i have all fake hardwoods so i just mop.

KLin
02-08-2010, 10:05 AM
I have to remember to put shoes on to leave the house. :giggle Many times I get my purse, keys, water bottle and head for the garage, the boys remind me to get shoes. I keep birkenstocks by the front and back door.

Our entryway is tiled with an area rug and a shoe basket by the door. Family and friends will take off shoes, others I let do what is comfortable for them. If they are not staying long, no worries.

megmac
02-08-2010, 10:06 AM
Dh and our kids hate being barefoot so they have indoor shoes and outdoor shoes and they never get mixed up.

My dd has it down to a science, we will arrive at someone's home, she sits in the hall takes off her outdoor shoes, puts on her indoor shoes and goes off to play. She never forgets.:giggle

TenderLovingWillow
02-08-2010, 10:08 AM
My mom was a militant "You are not dressed till you have socks and shoes on" type of person.. I am a barefoot only type.. In fact, unless I am planning on going to someones house, or a store in the summer, I dont even bring shoes with.. I think I still have a pair of spare flip-flops in the car...

We dont wear shoes in the house.. My mom has offended enough people by wearing shoes in their house, that she now will check for a pile of shoes by the door before she walks in with them.. I always remove shoes at someones house...

Susan K
02-08-2010, 10:21 AM
We tend to take off our shoes in the house. Since it is cold here I have on slippers now. However we let guest have a choice to take off or keep on.

lillytree
02-08-2010, 10:22 AM
NO SHOES IN THE HOUSE EVER!! Only slippers..here in the uk slippers are a big thing although some people wear them in and out:no!!

For us its shoes off and also my husbands asian so its not a done thing to wear shoes indoors.

:heartLilly

joyful mama
02-08-2010, 10:26 AM
we did growing up, but I MUCH prefer no shoes in my house. none of us do, but i'm too chicken to 'make' anyone take them off. some close friends do, some don't.

JoyGal
02-08-2010, 10:34 AM
Another European family here where no shoes are in the house :no I don't think there are any acceptions, never been into a house here where shoes are worn. In kindergarten, the kids wear houseshoes. If someone goes to play at another kids house, you usually bring some houseshoes or else thick socks with traction on the bottom.

I never wore shoes in the house before tho either. It just ooks me out to think of all the yuck being tracked in then bare feet walking around on it all, taking it to bedrooms or on the furniture.

ETA: We have a felt houseshoe set by the front door that people are more than welcome to put on, but usually anyone just goes in their socks. We keep our daily shoes outside the front door and all the others put away so people can see when they come over to take them off.

alaskajamaica
02-08-2010, 10:47 AM
I wear flip flops in my house because we have tile and I am very sensitive to getting sick/ashtma and the floor is cold..... so sorry for those who think I am disgusting for doing this, but it's me being sick or not.

Bonnie
02-08-2010, 10:53 AM
It's not just gunk and dirt that shoes track in...it's the chemicals that the neighbors put on their lawn, the pesticides the store you went in used on their walkways, etc. Things I work hard to keep out of my house. I understand people not thinking of that, or not being used to it, but I'm *really* frustrated by people not respecting that I prefer them to not bring it in. :-/ I struggle with the line between hospitality - I would never *require* a friend/guest to remove their shoes in my home :no - but when family visits, I expect it to be a little different. :think My FIL and my mom basically refuse to (not being demanding of it, but being really clear that it's expected, and the kids will remind them that it's the house rule in a totally polite way) and honestly it's just one more way to me that they show a total disregard for my wishes. Yeah...other issues there. :shifty

Cookie Momster
02-08-2010, 10:57 AM
We don't wear shoes in the house I think mostly because we all like to be bare footed. The kids often play outside bare footed and even I will go out to the mailbox etc. bare footed. I always keep my shoes on when going into other people's houses though unless specifically asked to remove them. It just seems to me to be outside the bounds of etiquette to just remove my shoes without being given permission. Kinda like I wouldn't just go helping myself to food in someone's fridge or change the channel on the TV :shrug3

Carmen
02-08-2010, 10:58 AM
No. My shoes are the first things to come off when I walk in, but that might have more to do with my inherent hate of shoes. We also have new flooring through most of the house and I don't want it all messed up by shoe dirt.

Synesthesia
02-08-2010, 10:58 AM
Naw. I do the Japanese thing and take my shoes off when I get home. I just don't put them in a neat little cupboard. I'm barefoot right now. Plus I hate hot feet.

MaybeGracie
02-08-2010, 11:26 AM
No, never. It seems weird to me to wear shoes in the house. Then again, I hate wearing shoes/socks in general, so I'm barefoot whenever I can help it.

Eowyn
02-08-2010, 11:59 AM
Generally yes, but we have hardwood floors, and my feet ache if I'm barefoot on them too much. I have Crocs I wear mostly inside.

Lila
02-08-2010, 12:01 PM
Generally yes, but we have hardwood floors, and my feet ache if I'm barefoot on them too much. I have Crocs I wear mostly inside.

Oh, Lindsay. Not crocs. I beam judgement rays at you.

Auroras mom
02-08-2010, 12:07 PM
On carpet, no, but on my very cold, extremely hard tile - absolutely. My whole house except bedrooms is floored in hard, slippery, shiny, cold tile. My legs and bach will ache so badly I can't sleep if I go barefoot for more than an hour in this house. I wear my Uggs all the time, or flip flops. I also sweep several times per day and mop often. No babies crawl around on my floors. :shrug3

Sparrow
02-08-2010, 12:10 PM

Just me, but I'd rather foot oils than who knows what from the ground.

I sometimes don't take my shoes off right away, but as a general rule, there's no shoes in the house. I can't stand shoes. I'd wear flip flops year round if I could. I hate having my feet trapped in shoes.

Atarah
02-08-2010, 12:11 PM
I also think it's a regional thing.

It's wet and snowy (and 'salty') here for a good chunk of the year. Then muddy as it all melts.
Everyone takes shoes off at the door. Most everyone has a specific place to leave them. Quite a few people bring house shoes with them to wear in other peoples houses.

When I lived in TX, the only people with shoe-less homes had moved from up north. :giggle

Growing up, wet/muddy shoes were left at the door, other wise there was a wide variety of shoes on/off.

NewLeaf
02-08-2010, 12:12 PM
We don't wear our outdoor shoes in the house but that isn't the norm in my area. House shoes are a must. :yes

I only know one other household that takes shoes off in doors. :shrug We ask that all guests take their shoes off too.

Atarah
02-08-2010, 12:14 PM

:giggle my house shoes are crocs, too - in a really obnoxious color so I'm less likely to accidently wear them out of the house. :shifty (since crocs are comfy, but I think they look hideous)

MrsHutch
02-08-2010, 12:15 PM
Do you think it would be ok with visitors to give them a friendly, "You can just put your shoes there." :) when they come in the door?

Bonnie
I think I'm going to stock up on cheap, washable slippers in three or four sizes for when family visits. :giggle

WanderingJuniper
Generally No. :no

We have a shoe landing zone by both doors. Of course there are exceptions like when you are bringing groceries in etc but overall we prefer to be shoeless in our home. I prefer to be barefoot all the time so it was originally done to protect my toes, little ones fingers and toes and keep the floors generally cleaner.

NewLeaf
02-08-2010, 12:17 PM
Just adding that we decided to go shoe free when I read an article that said you can reduce the amount of dirt/germs/chemicals in your house 10x by removing your shoes at the door. You can cut it down by half by wiping them really well before coming inside.

---------- Post added at 01:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:16 PM ----------

I think I'm going to stock up on cheap, washable slippers in three or four sizes for when family visits. :giggle

We just bought several large sized ones at Ikea for 1.99 each for when visitors come over. :tu

Mama Calidad
02-08-2010, 12:18 PM
Just me, but I'd rather foot oils than who knows what from the ground.

We have concrete floors, so I like the oil. Got nothing against it. Just confirming that it does indeed happen. My kids and husband are almost always barefoot. :giggle

I used to be barefoot all the time, too. Shoes drive me batty. They come off the second I sit down. But severely messed up foot does not function on concrete. (And the joke's on me, because I wouldn't have messed up my foot nearly to the extent that I did if I had been wearing shoes.)

NewLeaf
02-08-2010, 12:19 PM
Do you think it would be ok with visitors to give them a friendly, "You can just put your shoes there." :) when they come in the door?

We have a sign on the front door "Please help us keep our house safe. Remove shoes at door. Thanks!"

Telling people often wasn't enough because the kids would already be running around and certain family members just didn't listen in the commotion of entering. Telling someone 4 times gets kind of awkward and I'm pretty fanatical about it. :bag

Drew
02-08-2010, 12:34 PM
In general we don't wear shoes in our house. Sometimes we'll go from the garage to the kitchen with our shoes on if we're carrying in groceries or whatever. We prefer for people to take their shoes off in our house but if they are adamant about keeping them on (waving to you SIL) I'll live with it.

I have a couple of relatives who's houses I keep my shoes on at because they aren't the greatest at cleaning up the floor or after their pets. :sick I'm not looking for spic and span here but at some point I'm going to go ahead and keep my shoes on if not asked to take them off.

That would work for me. I usually ask if I should take my shoes off when I go over to someone's house for the first time.

november
02-08-2010, 01:18 PM
No, but that's for comfort more than anything. It doesn't freak me out if someone wears their shoes in my home, lol.

Editing to add that unless a person asks me to, I leave my shoes on in their home. It feels awkward to me to just take my shoes off without asking. If I see a bunch of shoes by the door or see someone else enter before me and remove their shoes, I will follow their lead. But instinctively, I do NOT take my shoes off. It's not really the norm here at all.

Synesthesia
02-08-2010, 02:13 PM
Hmm.I tend to dread taking off my shoes at people's house as my socks are almost always mismatched.

mountainash
02-08-2010, 06:12 PM
:hidingI wear shoes in our house but respectfully remove them when visiting friends or family. Sometimes I think I have some sort of SPD because I hate the way being barefoot feels. Of course, it could have more to do with the fact that I broke my two at age four and stepped on a nail when I was eight. Being in socks or even barefoot makes me nervous. In my house I've decided I'd rather have dirt on my floor than dirt on my feet. I'll ask you to keep your shoes on if you come over.

I don't know how not to have dirt in my house with a 2yo and 4.5yo running around. They're only allowed to eat in the kitchen (except for on movie nights), but it still feels like they get crumbs everywhere. I could vacuum every fifteen minutes. Do those of you who don't wear shoes find that you get crumbs stuck to your feet when you walk through the kitchen? How does that not drive you insane?

SamRose
02-08-2010, 06:26 PM
We remove our shoes at the door most of the time. (always when there is any precipitation on the ground). I dont require everyone to remove shoes when they come to my house, unless it's wet outside and/or they will be going into the toy room, which is our only carpeted area.

My mom has severe RA, and it hurts her feet to walk barefoot or in just socks. She keeps a pair of slippers at my house for when she comes over, but sometimes she leaves her shoes on if the ground outside is dry and she's only gonna be here for a little bit. Knowing her condition, and that it would actually be painful for her if somebody insisted she remove hers shoes at their house, I am not too strict w/ ppl, cuz ya never know. :shrug3

Whether ppl R coming to my home or Im observing others coming into somebody's home, most ppl nowadays ask if shoes should be removed or not. I say it isnt required if they're uncomfortable (maybe they have stinky feet, holey, dirty socks, or RA like my mom), but would appreciate it cuz my kids crawl around the floor.

ETA: I have athletic sandals I wear in the house, dh has something similar. I cant get my kids to leave their socks on, let alone slippers, or shoes if I wanted them to.

Serafine
02-08-2010, 06:43 PM
I am assuming that those of you who think it is gross to wear shoes in the house do not have indoor/outdoor animals?

Because we do...and as much as I would prefer us to not wear shoes in the house...it would be really contradictory to be grossed out by shoes, but not large dog paws that are traipsing around outside and then coming in onto my floors.

ETA: Or is it that humans step in more toxic stuff (in parking lots, stores, etc.) as opposed to dogs/cats just stepping in dirt and crap, etc. in a yard???? Because THAT makes sense to me.

ETA: We typically wear slippers in the house; leaving our shoes at the door. But, I don't ask others to take off their shoes. I am not really worried about what they bring in...my shark steam mop(s) take care of that crud. :yes :grin

ncsweetpea
02-08-2010, 06:45 PM
I wear shoes right up until I step in the shower. We have hardwood floors and I have no arch in my foot... I like to wear shoes. Being barefoot makes me feel lazy...and icky. :shrug3

SamRose
02-08-2010, 06:48 PM
I am assuming that those of you who think it is gross to wear shoes in the house do not have indoor/outdoor animals?

Because we do...and as much as I would prefer us to not wear shoes in the house...it would be really contradictory to be grossed out by shoes, but not large dog paws that are traipsing around outside and then coming in onto my floors.

ETA: Or is it that humans step in more toxic stuff (in parking lots, stores, etc.) as opposed to dogs/cats just stepping in dirt and crap, etc. in a yard???? Because THAT makes sense to me.

Yes to both those for me :yes (NO pets, and agreeing w/ yer "eta" thought)

NewLeaf
02-08-2010, 07:06 PM

We have a small dog. But yeah, he doesn't walk through the grease puddles or chemical fertilizers or public restrooms or the creek down at the park, etc. He's just in our backyard.

Just cutting down on the amount tracked in is better than nothing. :shrug3

So those of you who hate going barefoot, do you not like slippers either?

I thought everyone owned slippers. :shifty

ronioli
02-08-2010, 07:09 PM
We do not wear shoes in the house.

Quiteria
02-08-2010, 07:27 PM
this is why my aunt had a whole stack of slippers at the door :yes they were indoor-only shoes ;)

Bonnie
02-08-2010, 07:28 PM
Do those of you who don't wear shoes find that you get crumbs stuck to your feet when you walk through the kitchen? How does that not drive you insane?

If I didn't go barefoot in my house, I'd never remember to sweep the hard floors. :roll

Oliveshoots
02-08-2010, 07:39 PM
I made it through about 4 responses on here before I started singing to myself...

"Shoes in the house....shoes in the house....gettin' it dirty with ya shoes in the house."

:crazy

We wear shoes in (bad habit #1) then take them off wherever we happen to sit down (bad habit #2). We have always talked about have a shoeless house, but there is not much space at our front door to put a shoe changing station..my aunt has a shoe changing area behind her front door where you can leave shoes and put on slippers. I am trying to figure out a way to make this work for 4 people in our tiny living room (the door we use) and it would be worse at the back door, because it is a big french door into the dining room (shoes in the dining room gross me out.)

I almost had dh making a good habit of leaving his yard-working (read: mud-filled that chunks off all over the house) shoes at the back-door rug, but today he fell off the wagon. :sigh At least it was dried mud, so I swept it up immediately.

I do have to wear shoes if I'm doing alot of on-my-feet housework or projects...my feet start to hurt too badly if I don't. If I could afford it (and make a habit of it) I'd have some good tennies for in the house only, and another pair of tennies to walk/shop in. Someday!!

titosmommy
02-08-2010, 07:43 PM
We don't wear shoes. But, we usually wear socks or slippers because the oils from your feet do yuck up the carpet. I don't really like for people to wear shoes in my house, but I don't want to make people feel bad, so I never ask them to take their shoes off. Most people take them off thoug. It's not so bad now that I only have carpet in my hallway and 1 bedroom. Hard floors are much easier to clean of shoe gunk.

hopeforchange
02-08-2010, 07:49 PM

ETA: We typically wear slippers in the house; leaving our shoes at the door. But, I don't ask others to take off their shoes. I am not really worried about what they bring in...my shark steam mop(s) take care of that crud. :yes :grin

i have a dog that gets walked outside. and i live in an apartment, so the dog walks on the pavement, etc., outside like i do. :shrug3

and i would LOVE a shark steam mop! then i would feel like things are truly clean in my house!

Leslie
02-08-2010, 08:16 PM
I wear shoes; one of my perimenopause issues is leg/foot cramps, and my feet don't like hard srfaces anymore, so I wear shoes. Also, I hate cold feet.

I don't think bringing the outdoors in on the bottom of shoes is really any more disgusting than stinky, sweaty socks or grimy, smelly feet. I hate taking my shoes off when I go to other people's homes. If I know it's their custom, I bring clean socks. And I try to find a soft carpet before the balls of my feet start radiating achiness up my legs.

If I was going to do a no-shoes rule in my house (and I would if dh would go for it), I'd do like the Japanese and have indoor-only shoes.

Serafine
02-08-2010, 08:17 PM
i have a dog that gets walked outside. and i live in an apartment, so the dog walks on the pavement, etc., outside like i do. :shrug3

and i would LOVE a shark steam mop! then i would feel like things are truly clean in my house!

Oh yeah...the sharks are rocking our world. I used my christmas money from MIL to get them...we got both the euro pro steam pocket mop AND the portable steam pocket mop. Those things are THE bomb...I kid you not.

We have all hard floors so that makes it nice, but man, cleaning the bathroom is super fast and a BREEZE now. I highly, highly recommend them...and NO chemicals! YAY!

Can'tTurnLeft
02-08-2010, 08:28 PM
Right now I've got on some kickin awesome houseshoes, grandma style. I also have some croc slippers for the house, and some mucklucks. Nobody in my house wears shoes in the house.

I was a big shoe in the house person until I moved to Berkeley. The vast majority of my friends there were first or second generation Asian, and they totally and completely flipped out if you wore shoes in their homes! For me growing up it was rude to take your shoes off, then it became rude to leave them on.

But once I had kids crawling around on the floor, I was all about taking the shoes off! I didn't want my kids crawling around on floors that had been walked around on by shoed feet!

but Okies seem to think that taking off shoes is rude, so I have no idea how to tell my friends that I think wearing shoes in the house is nasty.

hopeforchange
02-08-2010, 08:28 PM
Oh yeah...the sharks are rocking our world. I used my christmas money from MIL to get them...we got both the euro pro steam pocket mop AND the portable steam pocket mop. Those things are THE bomb...I kid you not.

We have all hard floors so that makes it nice, but man, cleaning the bathroom is super fast and a BREEZE now. I highly, highly recommend them...and NO chemicals! YAY!

yeah, i've been trying to decide if i would want the portable steam mop or the one that has all the attachments so that i could clean other things too. i know that if i were regularly going to use it for the floors, i would want the little one. but i want to clean everything else too. my couch is disgusting and i'd love to steam it, plus i'd love to be able to do the bathroom quickly and easily. and of course, i love the idea of it sanitizing and without chemicals. we have 3 animals and 3 kids...i need to sanitize a lot!

glad to hear that you have both. now i don't feel so bad about wanting both. :giggle

Heather Micaela
02-09-2010, 05:26 AM
We don't wear shoes in the house but it is not a rule, it is just what is done :shrug3. If others came over and wanted to wear shoes they are welcome to do so.

And FTR I do not wear shoes OUTSIDE a lot so the floor is still "contaminated" though I wash me feet a lot. Besides all the junk the kids have spilled have ruined the carpet. It just seems silly to wear shoes indoors. And we live in a Vietnamese area, so we fit right in.

---------- Post added at 04:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:22 AM ----------

Hmm.I tend to dread taking off my shoes at people's house as my socks are almost always mismatched.
I dread it because I wear crocs 90% of the time with no socks. Then I am totaly barefoot. So that is another reason there is no rule here.

And I *own* slippers but I never wear them. I am either barefoot or in socks. I hate confined feet.

And this is why I dropped flylady. (OK not, but it was one reason)

Mama Calidad
02-09-2010, 06:35 AM
So those of you who hate going barefoot, do you not like slippers either?

Slippers don't have enough support for my bad foot. Most shoes don't have enough support. I used to get all my shoes at Payless or Walmart and no more of that. :giggle I've got two pair of Birkenstocks. The real deal Birkenstocks. That was quite a pill to swallow when you're used to spending $10 on a pair of shoes. :giggle

Little Forest
02-09-2010, 06:54 AM
I grew up with shoes in the house but went barefooted inside. DH's family had shoes inside too.

We both have a firm no shoe policy for our house. Thank you for starting this thread. I can't believe there are some many others who do this too!

If our children drop food on the floor in the house, we don't mind to have them pick it up and eat it. :lol

jenn3514
02-09-2010, 07:02 AM
We don't wear shoes in our house. We just don't like them. Except DH- he likes to wear them.But as a rule, we also don't wear shoes outside if it isn't freezing out. So I'm not sure why it bothers me so much to see shoes on my carpet?