PDA

View Full Version : Okay, the biting has to stop

Niphredil
02-03-2010, 03:31 PM
Nora has taken to biting when she's angry. Just today she has bitten me, her dad, her cousin and her sister. She broke Eden's skin. :mad

If I'm pulling her away from something she'll bite my hands. She'll bite my chest if I'm giving her a hug. I'm doing my best to keep her from situations where she is able to get a chomp in, but it's not always possible. :(

:help

ArmsOfLove
02-03-2010, 03:33 PM
it's very common for pre-verbal 2yo's. give her scripts, supervise closely, don't let her mouth get near you if she's upset, and practice on yourself (because it doesn't take much pressure at all!) using your forefinger under her chin to keep her from opening her mouth to bite.

Niphredil
02-03-2010, 03:40 PM
N is far from pre-verbal, though. After Eden was bitten and I nursed her to sleep Nora came up and without prompting told me "I didn't want Eden to play with my doll so I bit her. She cried and dropped the doll and I took it."

She's also really good at naming her feelings, telling me when she's angry, frustrated, needs space. It's just like there's some sort of disconnect some times... or maybe something I'm missing... like she's to hungry, tired, something to cope better and so she just reacts. I don't know. I mean, yes, I can and am doing my best to be very watchful and preempt any situations where biting might occur, I just would like to get down to the why of the matter, ya know?

NewLeaf
02-03-2010, 03:53 PM
N is far from pre-verbal, though. After Eden was bitten and I nursed her to sleep Nora came up and without prompting told me "I didn't want Eden to play with my doll so I bit her. She cried and dropped the doll and I took it."

She's also really good at naming her feelings, telling me when she's angry, frustrated, needs space. It's just like there's some sort of disconnect some times... or maybe something I'm missing... like she's to hungry, tired, something to cope better and so she just reacts. I don't know. I mean, yes, I can and am doing my best to be very watchful and preempt any situations where biting might occur, I just would like to get down to the why of the matter, ya know?

I think the 'why' might just be the impulsiveness and lack of self control from being two.

Dd was much like you described but she bit for a short phase as well. We did preventative measures as much as possible and it just phased out on it's own. :shrug