PDA

View Full Version : Um...I didn't know my dishwasher had a dryer vent you should clean out!

canadiyank
02-02-2010, 11:01 AM
So, I started a facebook group here (http://www.facebook.com/pages/UmI-didnt-know-my-dishwasher-had-a-dryer-vent-you-should-clean/282078522894?ref=mf) ("Um...I didn't know my dishwasher had a dryer vent you should clean out!") b/c last night as I was sponging off the inside of my dishwasher door I discovered the grille can come off. Inside was 5 yrs. worth of disgustingness. So, so gross. Blech. Ew. Nasty! I cleaned it out and posted a FB status update and discovered that apparently I'm not the only one who was unaware of this! :lol So please, check behind the grille and post pics of the nastiness you find! And fan my page if you're on FB. :D

Unfortunately I don't have "before" pics, but here's what I'm talking about:

The vent, from the outside:

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f145/canadiyank/Dishwasher/101_2734.jpg

The grille before it's popped off:

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f145/canadiyank/Dishwasher/101_2735.jpg

The cleaned-out grilled and vent:

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f145/canadiyank/Dishwasher/101_2736.jpg

Close-up of the vent:

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f145/canadiyank/Dishwasher/101_2737.jpg

Lady TS
02-02-2010, 11:03 AM
How did you get your vent to come off? Mine looks like it has a place to put a screwdriver in and pry it up...but I'm afraid I will break it!

canadiyank
02-02-2010, 11:14 AM
I just pried it gently with my fingers and it popped off. :think

ArmsOfLove
02-02-2010, 11:16 AM
I'm going to have to check that. We got our dishwasher used and so my first thought when I saw your facebook page was :sick and that I don't know if I want to know :shifty

canadiyank
02-02-2010, 11:18 AM
You really don't want to know. But yet, at the same time, you can't *not* find out, can you? ;) :lol

Drew
02-02-2010, 11:32 AM
I know the vent is there and that it comes off and yet I've not opened it in the 3 years I've had the dishwasher. :shifty

MomtoJGJ
02-02-2010, 11:33 AM
I had no idea... off to check that out now!

OH THAT'S NASTY!!!! ick ick ick...

Iveyrock
02-02-2010, 11:37 AM
oh man :-/

Buela
02-02-2010, 11:46 AM
insert *running away screaming smiley here* :sick
:yuck

:sick2

:wow

I guess I have to log off now and clean that DISGUSTING MESS
Thanks a lot. I think I just threw up a little.

I'll add a pic of mine if you guys can handle it

http://i705.photobucket.com/albums/ww55/Buela79/house/-4.jpg?t=1265136286
http://i705.photobucket.com/albums/ww55/Buela79/house/-3.jpg?t=1265136338

Charlie U
02-02-2010, 11:49 AM
:sigh I need to empty the dishwasher. I'll have to check the vent. (And I joined the FB group.) :shifty I think dh knows about it and he's cleaned it.

Right?

:shifty

I don't wanna. :snooty

joyful mama
02-02-2010, 11:51 AM
should.not.have.opened.spoiler!

i don't want to know :paranoid

ShangriLewis
02-02-2010, 11:52 AM
yuck
yuck
yuck

Charlie U
02-02-2010, 11:53 AM
Is it really, really bad that I can't pop the vent off? :shifty

Punkie
02-02-2010, 11:54 AM
OMGoodness. That was so gross.

JessicaTX
02-02-2010, 11:55 AM
I think ignorance was bliss. :sick

Barefoot Bookworm
02-02-2010, 11:58 AM
Eww, I did not know either. I'm afraid to go look.

BriansLovie
02-02-2010, 11:59 AM
Yuck! Thankfully, we have had a brand new dishwasher for the past 6 months. I just checked and ours is pretty much clean of debris... but thanks for the reminder to clean it out periodically!

Buela
02-02-2010, 12:01 PM
Canadiyank -- since you got me into this mess, PLEASE tell me how you got all that gunk out? The "filter" part I can wash in the sink, but the door -- it's all stuck!

BeckaBlue
02-02-2010, 12:05 PM
:sick
I don't wanna!!!!!!!:snooty

Charlie U
02-02-2010, 12:09 PM
Dh popped it off. :phew

Canadiyank -- since you got me into this mess, PLEASE tell me how you got all that gunk out? The "filter" part I can wash in the sink, but the door -- it's all stuck!

It might help to load up the dishwasher and run a load first. I cleaned mine out about 30 minutes after the cycle ended and the clean dishes were emptied out. There was gunk in there, but it was pretty soft. Ewww!

canadiyank
02-02-2010, 12:11 PM

Heh. So, first I sponged off what I could. And I soaked the grill part in the sink. But then I kept the door open flat, placed a large bowl underneath, and poured bowls full of hot water through to the other side until it ran clean. I loosened any debris with Q-tips and a toothbrush and then did more hot water. I probably had to do it 6-7 times. And put a bunch of towels down under the bowl, it made a big mess.

Ew ew ew.

---------- Post added at 11:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:11 AM ----------

Yes, my gunk was soft. Like oily soft dryer lint. SO NASTY.

Mama Rophe
02-02-2010, 12:15 PM
Ew. Gross!!!!!! I don't want to go look. This dishwasher was in this house when we bought it and judging by the fact that they let their dogs eat the counter top and drywall I don't think this will be clean. EEEEWWWWWW.

Buela
02-02-2010, 12:19 PM
Ew. Gross!!!!!! I don't want to go look. This dishwasher was in this house when we bought it and judging by the fact that they let their dogs eat the counter top and drywall I don't think this will be clean. EEEEWWWWWW.

Yes, I know what you mean about previous owners -- I have decided that the people who sold us this house were lying, dirty, smelly people:sick The lying is in reference to the fact that they sold us a house that had three leaks in the first week of ownership -- and they signed the realty documents that there were no know water problems.

Now, back to my housework :sick

canadiyank
02-02-2010, 12:23 PM
Buela - did you join my fb group? If not, can I steal those pics. :shifty It can be anonymous. Heh. Mine was worse <barf> but I don't have before pics.

mykidsmom
02-02-2010, 12:33 PM
Oh man.... I hope mine is a ventless kind. Off to check... :sick

Buela
02-02-2010, 12:36 PM
I didn't join your group, but I did check it out in case you had a step by step for how to do the job :lol You can steal my pics for sure though, if you know how. I'd love to join your group and give them to you that way, but I'd like to protect my anonymity (both for the sake of my dishwasher and family LOL)
The bowl worked wonderfully. I ran a rinse cycle first (with the cover off, hope that didn't ruin anything LOL)

I have been having rinsing issues since we bought this house, my dad took everything (except the vent apparently) apart for me in October to try to locate the problem. I will be tickled pink if this fixes everything as a new dishwasher is not in the budget right now

mykidsmom
02-02-2010, 12:39 PM
Nope, there's a vent. It's round and doesn't look like there's an easy way to take it off. The plastic looks flimsy. I'm going to have to find the owner's manuel... Fun... :sick

---------- Post added at 07:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:38 PM ----------

I didn't join your group, but I did check it out in case you had a step by step for how to do the job :lol You can steal my pics for sure though, if you know how. I'd love to join your group and give them to you that way, but I'd like to protect my anonymity (both for the sake of my dishwasher and family LOL)
The bowl worked wonderfully. I ran a rinse cycle first (with the cover off, hope that didn't ruin anything LOL)

I have been having rinsing issues since we bought this house, my dad took everything (except the vent apparently) apart for me in October to try to locate the problem. I will be tickled pink if this fixes everything as a new dishwasher is not in the budget right now

We've been having rinsing problems, too... I wonder... :think

JenLovie
02-02-2010, 12:47 PM
La la la la la *fingers in ears*
I don't know if I want to know how bad it is.

Mama Rophe
02-02-2010, 12:51 PM
Mine is round too. I can't get it off for the life of me. I don't have the owners manual. I'm sure the previous owners didn't care to keep it or just tossed it in their move. I'm off to do some research online to see what I can find.

canadiyank
02-02-2010, 12:59 PM
I didn't join your group, but I did check it out in case you had a step by step for how to do the job :lol

I will put them up. :yes

You can steal my pics for sure though, if you know how.

Thanks! Do you have any "afters"? :shifty

MomtoJGJ
02-02-2010, 01:04 PM
Heh. So, first I sponged off what I could. And I soaked the grill part in the sink. But then I kept the door open flat, placed a large bowl underneath, and poured bowls full of hot water through to the other side until it ran clean. I loosened any debris with Q-tips and a toothbrush and then did more hot water. I probably had to do it 6-7 times. And put a bunch of towels down under the bowl, it made a big mess.

this is what I did minus the q-tips....

we've been having an odd smell lately in that area that I thought was the disposal... I'm hoping this fixes it!!

summertimeshine
02-02-2010, 01:07 PM
I am :sick and :preg - does that mean I can ask DH to open it up and clean it out??? I never knew cleaning that was an option! :jawdrop

cobluegirl
02-02-2010, 01:10 PM
I can't get mine open..I am afraid I pry (which I am doing with screw driver) that I might break it and not be able to get it back on...
I got one end open but the other seems stuck.

mamaKristin
02-02-2010, 01:13 PM
Oh, and for fun, while you are in the dishwasher? Clean off the bottom of the inside of the door. *that* was a treat. :shiver

cobluegirl
02-02-2010, 02:06 PM
Oh, and for fun, while you are in the dishwasher? Clean off the bottom of the inside of the door. *that* was a treat. :shiver

ya ours is kind of icky... the water pools there.

---------- Post added at 02:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:15 PM ----------

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v162/cobluegirl/dishwashervent.jpg

Here is mine Meghan. You can see where it broke too...

euromom
02-02-2010, 02:12 PM
:sick Afraid to go check mine :shiver

swimming with sharks
02-02-2010, 02:16 PM
I checked and mine was CLEAN! :jawdrop:phew We've had the dishwasher for a couple of years...I'm surprised it was clean! :shrug3 THe bottom inside of the door, I cleaned that night before last it was NASTY!! :sick

Thia
02-02-2010, 02:47 PM
Despite the fact I wish I hadn't seen this, I still say thank you...who would have thunk it?

charla
02-02-2010, 02:53 PM
Oh nooooo.....I so don't want to look. My germaphobia is going crazy.

RosalieMarie
02-02-2010, 02:55 PM
Mine is just all part of the door.... there's nothing that would come off at all. Hopefully that means it cleans itself. :shifty I don't want to think about what could be hiding in there.

hey mommy
02-02-2010, 02:55 PM
I'm hoping mine doesn't have one. It's bad enough that there is nasty, rusted gunk on the bottom if the dishwasher.

Our old one in our old house had a filter, but in the 5 years we had it u never cleaned it. ewww

Naked Camper
02-02-2010, 03:03 PM
eww :sick off to go check of mine has one (but is really afraid to check).

Iarwain
02-02-2010, 03:08 PM
Mine was completely caked with THICK hard water deposits. No way was air going through there. The dishwasher doesn't work anyway because of drainage problems (probably a clogged hose), but I did scrape and bang the gunk out of the vent and the cover is soaking in vinegar right now.

Saphirah
02-02-2010, 03:12 PM
Lalalallalalalalalalalalalalala Not listening! I ran a cleaning cycle on ours awhile back with some special soap and got to clean grey snot from the bottom of the door when it was done. Eeeeeeeeeeeew.

BlessedBlue
02-02-2010, 03:14 PM
So I was all :nails because I never thought of looking *there* and I've moved enough to know that dishwashers can have all sorts of nastiness in their nooks (military moves - we have to pass home inspections :rolleyes). Anyway, I knew that this current place wasn't inspected very carefully, so :nails :shiver I didn't want to look, but now that I've been educated couldn't *not* look, IYKWIM.

:phew It wasn't bad. Slightly icky, but not horribly gross. (of course, I was the kid who ate lunch *during* AP biology lab... :shifty)

Naked Camper
02-02-2010, 03:20 PM
:phew mine doesn't have one

canadiyank
02-02-2010, 03:49 PM
Here is mine Meghan. You can see where it broke too...

Oh no, I'm sorry it broke! :(

Can I steal that pic? :shifty

knitlove
02-02-2010, 04:33 PM
I really don't want to go look! but I probably will it can't be that bad the dishwasher is a bit moor than a year old.

Naked Camper
02-02-2010, 04:37 PM
so am i the only one without a trap? Or am I just not finding mine?? :scratch

hey mommy
02-02-2010, 05:11 PM
Okay, I found mine. It wasn't too bad. Probably b/c in the past month I've done used 2 dishwasher cleaners & ran some CLR through it to get the rust & other gunk out of it. Now it sparkles like new.. Except for that one spot under the trap on the bottom b/c I can't get the trap off..

cobluegirl
02-02-2010, 06:48 PM
yes meghan..you can have it..that is why I posted it. LOL It still stays put..just is broken and easier to clean..LOL

I have decided that dishwashers are kind of gross...bwahh...I wonder how clean the dishes actually are.

Proverbs31
02-02-2010, 06:52 PM
so THAT'S what the grill thingy is!!!!

another I-don't-wanna-look-at-5-years-worth-of-gunk here. :snooty

jewelmcjem
02-02-2010, 07:43 PM
I totally thought that group was "I didn't know the dryer had a vent I should clean out" and thought it was air-headed just-out-on-my-own dingbats. :giggle

---------- Post added at 09:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:35 PM ----------

Ours is less than a year old. The vent slides out nicely, no little arms to break off. There was a little gunk in there but not bad. I wonder if the fact that I *never* use the dryer function helps any.

It's against my religion to run the dishwasher dryer. I refuse to pay for something that will happen for free if I leave them in there long enough, lol.

believer
02-02-2010, 08:07 PM
can't open ours. I tried prying a butter knife under it but it still would not open and dh told me not to break it.

TuneMyHeart
02-02-2010, 08:19 PM
this thread is so, so gross, yet hilarious. :giggle

AdrienneQW
02-02-2010, 08:21 PM
This may be the first time in my entire life that I've been thoroughly grateful I've never owned a dishwasher.

canadiyank
02-02-2010, 09:33 PM
It's against my religion to run the dishwasher dryer. I refuse to pay for something that will happen for free if I leave them in there long enough, lol.

I don't run it, either, yet I'm the one who started this thread and the group! :roll (And my dh would have been the one not knowing about the lint trap. :giggle

cro
02-02-2010, 09:43 PM
I don't run it, either, yet I'm the one who started this thread and the group! :roll (And my dh would have been the one not knowing about the lint trap. :giggle
:haha

This is all just eeewww. I'll check mine tomorrow. Maybe.

happyhousewife
02-02-2010, 10:08 PM
Oh man. I dont even want to check mine. :sick

Kiera
02-02-2010, 10:29 PM
:pout

Is it horrible that I want one to go look at and get grossed out about? :bag

sweetpeasmommy
02-02-2010, 10:41 PM
So scared. :nails

:phew Not bad at all. :phew I just ran some thieves oil through it the other day.

MomtoJGJ
02-03-2010, 04:31 AM

The only time I use the dryer is when I turn it on before bed and that's because I can't turn it off when it's done :) But even when it's running there is still a bit of steam that comes out through the vent. Mine was nasty, but we've lived here for 4 years, and I don't know how long the previous people had it or if they cleaned it... I think it's about 10 years old.

WildOlive
02-03-2010, 05:30 AM
Oh no. We have had out dishwasher for like 9 years and I never knew about this! I will have to check *after* I eat breakfast.:sick

ReedleBeetle
02-03-2010, 08:34 AM
We checked my MIL's and hers has this thick grey stiff spongy thing in behind the vent. There is no way that we can figure out to get inside it. :scratch She believes hers is fine anyway because "only air comes out through that". :giggle

AndiRoo
02-03-2010, 09:10 AM
Thank you for this!! I did it....and WOW it will be on the to-do list from now on!! Eww....

Gentle Journey
02-03-2010, 09:20 AM
Mine is only 3 months old. It's round and I can't figure out how to get it off. Hoping it's fine anyway. But I know I'm going to keep poking at it til I figure it out. Or perhaps new ones are self cleaning? Can I hope for that?

WildOlive
02-03-2010, 01:30 PM
I can't figure out where mine is...

BeckaBlue
02-03-2010, 02:00 PM
mine is fine, not sparkly but no nastiness. could only get the 'door' half way off so i left it be :bag

UltraMother
02-03-2010, 02:05 PM
Toothpicks work well to clean out the gunk in the corners. :)
Now, how do you get hair out of the bottom drain-thingy when it doesn't come out?

jewelmcjem
02-03-2010, 02:17 PM
Really, you'd think they'd make something you're SUPPOSED to clean much easier to find & get at!

StrangeTraveller
02-03-2010, 02:50 PM
.....how bad is it that I opened mine and then closed it (and it DOES need to be cleaned :sick) ? :shifty

MomtoJGJ
02-03-2010, 04:18 PM
Toothpicks work well to clean out the gunk in the corners. :)
Now, how do you get hair out of the bottom drain-thingy when it doesn't come out?

ok... I HAVE to ask.. why is there hair in your dishwasher??

mykidsmom
02-05-2010, 09:23 AM

:lol

I bet her neighbors are wondering how the dog is always soooo clean...

joyful mama
02-05-2010, 10:25 AM
i can't get mine off :scratch

Mama Rophe
02-05-2010, 12:34 PM
I checked the owners manual online for my dishwasher and it says nothing of cleaning this.

meredithmommy
02-05-2010, 07:25 PM
I am gonna check my dishwasher right now! I didn't know there was a vent!!! I bet that could be dangerous!

mellifera
02-05-2010, 11:00 PM
This may be the first time in my entire life that I've been thoroughly grateful I've never owned a dishwasher.

:haha Me too!

I'm not the original poster, but...my dad used to wash his baseball caps in the top rack of the dishwasher. :shrug3

Eowyn
02-05-2010, 11:20 PM
My dishwasher doesn't have one that can be removed. I looked. The vent area is completely even with the dishwasher door, without so much as a seam.

RosalieMarie
02-06-2010, 05:22 AM
My dishwasher doesn't have one that can be removed. I looked. The vent area is completely even with the dishwasher door, without so much as a seam.

That's how mine is, too.

Mama Rophe
02-06-2010, 07:40 AM
I'm wondering if I could use my steamer to clean it out without taking the cover off since I can't find a way to do it without breaking it. The hot steam wouldn't melt anything would it?

canadiyank
02-06-2010, 11:59 AM
I'm wondering if I could use my steamer to clean it out without taking the cover off since I can't find a way to do it without breaking it. The hot steam wouldn't melt anything would it?

I think that's how Rabbit does it...it's worth a shot, I'd think!

Thia
07-01-2010, 04:00 PM
So I posted a few pages back, a thank you, then trotted off to check mine. It was nice and clean despite over 5 years of ownership. Brilliant, excellent, way to go me.

We just moved. Into a house that had been abandoned for a year and before that owned by people who didn't care a toot about a lot of house stuff. So, after my husband fixed the DW today, I knew I had to clean it. I was afraid, very afraid, and I should have been too! Oh.my.goodness. I did the best I could with it and am now running the DW with vinegar and baking soda per a "how to clean the DW site." I suppose when it's done, I should take the vent back off and tackle it again. I'm far too pregnant to be dealing with this junk! Or at least, that's the excuse I'd like to make.

And yes....just how does hair get into the DW? Then again...do I want to know? Probably not.

raining_kisses
07-01-2010, 04:04 PM
im going to tell my dh about this and have him check. i just cant...im scared :hiding

LadybugSam
07-01-2010, 04:11 PM
Is it really, really bad that I can't pop the vent off? :shifty

i tried and can't get mine off either. :shrug I'm just going to pretend its clean :shifty

canadiyank
07-01-2010, 10:07 PM
I had to clean mine again recently. Ewwww! And we're moving into a new house, where so far I'm unable to get the vent off. :think

graciousmomma
07-03-2010, 08:23 AM
I was just thinking about this thread the other day. And voila! Here is it right where I can easily find it :D

nadezhda
02-18-2011, 08:21 AM
:sick2 Ew, ew, ew, ew, EWWWWWWWW! Pregnant women should *not* look at those pictures. :shiver FTR, I did just *try* (albeit half-heartedly) to pry the grill thingy off the inside of my dw, but it didn't come off easily...so I quit. :shifty

pirandellian
02-21-2011, 01:16 PM
You know what... I think this is what might be causing nasty smells in my kitchen. Or at least, something with the dishwasher.

---------- Post added at 03:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:04 PM ----------

And DH can't pry off the cover. We're renting, so we don't want to break it.

*sigh* Oh well!

Lady TS
02-21-2011, 01:36 PM
I can't get mine off either to clean it. Oh well....

racheepoo
02-21-2011, 01:50 PM
:haha NF's, the thread has been found! (We've been talking about loving to hyperclean minute random things that nobody notices) :giggle

cobluegirl
02-21-2011, 01:51 PM
I broke mine when I took it off to clean..now I just kind of hose it out.