PDA

View Full Version : What is your flooring of choice in the kitchen?

BriansLovie
01-29-2010, 08:24 AM
??

katiekind
01-29-2010, 08:58 AM
If I had it to do over again (and the money) I would put down hardwood.

What I have is those 12" square stone-look ceramic tiles you can get on sale from Lowe's. Certainly they are extremely durable and look good and are inexpensive for the quality and durability.

But my heart's desire would be for hardwood throughout our main living areas.

cindergretta
01-29-2010, 08:59 AM
Well, you got my opinion in the other thread, but - JIC you couldn't remember or guess - :P~

HARDWOOD!!

:giggle

Buela
01-29-2010, 09:12 AM
When we renovate, it will be tile of some sort in the kitchen.
My parents have hardwood and it is lovely, but our 60+ pound dog SHREDS hardwood floors, so we will be tile from the entrance through the hall into the kitchen, and hardwood in the living & dinning areas (where she will run less).

The dog literally destroyed the hardwood we installed at our former house. I still loved it, but it broke my heart to see all that good money get scratched up in short order.

I also figure that tile will be easier for clean up with messy kids and water spills

mamacat
01-29-2010, 09:19 AM
If budget were no option,I would go with bamboo.It has the look & beauty & warmth of hardwood but is more flexible,does well with water and doesnt scratch like hardwood does.....The cost has come down too since 1st coming out.I would put it throughout our house and also get bamboo kitchen cabinets instead of hardwood or maybe metal kitchen cabinets...

brandi
01-29-2010, 09:20 AM
Hardwood. Without a doubt.

mommylove
01-29-2010, 09:23 AM
Tile.

I wouldn't choose hardwood because 1) I've seen too many hardwood kitchens with water damage, and 2) I have a dog.

HomeWithMyBabies
01-29-2010, 09:24 AM
I want cork flooring in my kitchen someday. Someday! :giggle

Aerynne
01-29-2010, 09:56 AM
I think hardwood would be the most beautiful, however, I wouldn't do it. We just redid our kitchen flooring in tile. Not my first choice for looks, however, it is very practical. I would do either tile or cement- something that can hold water with no problem whatsoever even if you don't notice the water for awhile. We got big tiles with small grout lines and did it diagonally- it looks cooler that way.

WanderingJuniper
01-29-2010, 09:59 AM
I want cork flooring in my kitchen someday. Someday! :giggle
Me too!:yes It feels so good on the feet and I spend so much time in my kitchen.

Charlie U
01-29-2010, 10:47 AM
We have a tile like flooring. It looks like tile and feels like tile. But it went down like wood laminate flooring. It "floats" above the old floor so we didn't have to strip the peel and stick tile that was down before.

http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?partNumber=312960-30029-D2788RE&langId=-1&storeId=10151&productId=3032518&catalogId=10051&cmRelshp=sim

It's kind of like this, but the picture doesn't explain it well.

BriansLovie
01-29-2010, 10:53 AM
Ok this is going to be a brand new house, so I dont have to worry about what is underneath. So many of you said hardwoods, but people are worrying me about leaking water on the floor and it warping. ???

Havilah
01-29-2010, 10:57 AM
I love vinyl. :bag

At some point we'll upgrade to hardwood and I'll be excited about how beautiful it is, but for now I love my bullet-proof vinyl. The kids can drag stuff all over it, spill stuff all over it and I can use whatever I want (almost) to clean it. I also love that it's got just enough spring in it to cushion falls. It's just great stuff to raise kids on. (I know, I know... on which to raise kids... ;) )

My vinyl looks like ceramic tile. No one would be fooled, mind you, but it's not so awful ugly that it screams to be replaced. ;)

Charlie U
01-29-2010, 11:06 AM
I would still go with the laminate/tile hybrid. You can put it down on plywood, too. It would be plywood (subfloor) then the pad (if needed) then the laminate/tile. It's easy to keep clean and is not slippery at all.

We're both completely thrilled with it.

Drew
01-29-2010, 11:07 AM
Well, you got my opinion in the other thread, but - JIC you couldn't remember or guess - :P~

HARDWOOD!!

:giggle

Hardwood. Without a doubt.

Ditto. We've never had issues with water damage even when spills weren't cleaned up right away (or occasionally at all :shifty).

Kat
01-29-2010, 11:20 AM
Subbing. We are meeting with the design center next week that is affiliated with the builders of our new house.

BriansLovie
01-29-2010, 11:38 AM
Subbing. We are meeting with the design center next week that is affiliated with the builders of our new house.

Awesome! What builder are you going with? When do they start building?

Kat
01-29-2010, 11:40 AM
Ryland! :rockon They probably already started building now. It should be completed as early as April 30, and no later than June 1st. I do believe we will be getting free tiles in the kitchen, dining areas and bathrooms, but we still get to choose the colors. :)

BriansLovie
01-29-2010, 11:55 AM
Ryland! :rockon They probably already started building now. It should be completed as early as April 30, and no later than June 1st. I do believe we will be getting free tiles in the kitchen, dining areas and bathrooms, but we still get to choose the colors. :)

How exciting! We go for our flooring consult soon, its so much to take in! Our house should be complete by end of June.