PDA

View Full Version : Mamas with hardwood floors in kitchen/dining area

BriansLovie
01-29-2010, 08:24 AM
or anywhere for that matter. Do you like them? Are they hard to take care of? Do you have to wax them or just let them be? What's your experience?

methodistmomshana
01-29-2010, 08:26 AM
I take very little care of mine and it works out fine. I sweep and mop when I get time but there really haven't been any ill effects. The only place I have noticed some difference is by our back french doors to the deck.

IslandHome
01-29-2010, 08:27 AM
I love my hardwood floors. I only sweep and mop them... been wondering whether there's more I should do :shifty

HomeWithMyBabies
01-29-2010, 08:42 AM
I :heart our hardwood. It's everywhere except the kitchen and bathroom. It's original to the house (60+ years), although it was probably covered with carpet most of that time so it's in decent condition. We had the floors sanded and refinished with three layers of finish when we bought the place and it's been holding up well under two boys and the dog's nails.

I sweep, and very rarely mop with a steam mop. It's so much easier than carpet or laminate.

megmac
01-29-2010, 08:42 AM
I love my hardwood floors. I only sweep and mop them... been wondering whether there's more I should do :shifty

:yes It almost feels too easy with hardwood floors.

Drew
01-29-2010, 08:45 AM
We have hardwood in most of the first floor including the kitchen. I love it! It's hand scraped and the texture feels really nice under bare/sock feet. :heart

I vacuum every few days and wash/mop (Method Good for Wood and microfiber mop) once a month. Spot clean as necessary.

I wouldn't give it up for anything!

Katigre
01-29-2010, 08:50 AM
I :heart hardwood floors - I loathe carpeting. Hardwood is so easy to clean and so much better for your health too.

I use a broom to sweep the floor every day (or every other day) and then spot clean with a damp rag where necessary. When I wash the floors (not very often :duck) I use a vinegar/water spray or diluted 7th Generation cleaner with a terrycloth mop.

2TMama
01-29-2010, 08:58 AM
Ours in the kitchen is actually LAMINATE, but I sweep, spot clean & mop w/ a microfiber "mop" (like a swiffer, I suppose--- but not disposable--- the cloth comes off & I throw it in the wash). I have a spray bottle w/ vinegar/water like Katigre :rockon

DoulaClara
Ditto-ing everyone- I really love our (engineered) wood kitchen flooring. It takes a lot, and still looks nice. I've never waxed (the steam mop would just take the wax off anyway) and there doesn't seem to be a whole lot to it. Quick vacuum, quick run through with the steam mop once in a while, and it's fine.

cindergretta
The house we previously rented had hardwood that was about 50+ years old. It was beautiful and SO easy. This house has a little hardwood (kitchen and entrance) and it is about 25 years old. The previous owners did I can't even imagine what and basically stripped them. They are awful. They did the same thing to the wooden cabinets in the kitchen. :-/ It really stinks b/c they ruined some beuatiful wood. :(

But I wouldn't trade hardwood for *anything.* We have or have had linoleum, hardwood, carpet, tile... hardwood all the way, baby!! :giggle

(My parents have pergo or something like it and I hate it. It feels funny to my feet and lacks the beauty of wood. JMO )

joyful mama
01-29-2010, 09:02 AM
i :heart my hardwood floors. I sweep, mop, and occassionally when I have a housekeeper clean, she waxes. It shines them, it look sooo nice, and it protects them. love it!

brandi
01-29-2010, 09:09 AM
I love hardwoods. They are so easy to clean. They look great, even if they are a little worn, and are great when yoor DC are potty learning ;)

The only downside to hardwoods is they can be slippery when your 2yo is running around with socks on :(

But I would take hardwoods over carpet anyday.

ArmsOfLove
01-29-2010, 09:10 AM
love them

we have real hardwood floors from 1942. They are finished. No waxing at all.

We have a Sebo vacuum cleaner and we use Bona cleaning products for "mopping" :tu This is what the vacuum store owner recommended and I love it :yes

Drew
01-29-2010, 10:38 AM
The only downside to hardwoods is they can be slippery when your 2yo is running around with socks on :(

This is considered a bonus in our house. The whole family loves running down the long hall and sliding in our socks.

Kat
01-29-2010, 11:30 AM
We will be getting tile as a free upgrade in our kitchen and dining area. But if we can afford it, I really want the hard wood in all the other areas. :)

erinee
01-29-2010, 02:51 PM
I love, love, love hardwood floors. I wish we could replace what carpet remains in our house with hardwood (everywhere but the basement). I HATE steam cleaning the carpet -- you spill something on hardwood and you just wipe it up with a paper towel. My carpets always look dirty unless I've just steam-cleaned them.

Sure I have to sweep more, but I don't mop all that often, and I'd rather grab a broom from the closet than haul the vacuum up the stairs all the time.

And hardwood is better for allergies, especially if you have pets in the house.

We had carpet all through the house, including the kitchen and bathrooms, when we first moved in. We replaced the dining room carpet with hardwood and the kitchen and bathrooms with tile and laminate, and I haven't been a bit sorry.