PDA

View Full Version : Benjamin Moore paint. Is it worth it?

diamondintherough
01-28-2010, 05:25 AM
I'm not even sure how much it costs, but I'm certain that it's more that the usual stuff we get.

Is high-end paint worth the expense? We are planning to paint our "great room", foyer and hallways soon.

Please weigh in as to whether you think it's worth the added expense. Can it really cover in one coat? We are planning to use primer because the walls are "new". The previous owner never painted and he was the original owner, so I know these walls will suck up paint.

Also, if anyone has any experience with their different types of paint, please let me know.

I have environmental allergies and am considering going with a low/no VOC paint, but I've also heard that it doesn't cover as well. Dh will be doing most of the painting and I don't want him to get frustrated.

Thanks for any input.

Radosny Matka
01-28-2010, 05:50 AM
We used the Benjamin Moore eco friendly VOC free paint. I liked it. It went on easily and had zero smell. I mean, literally, zero smell. That said, we also recently used Glidden paint. It had a mild smell, but not overpowering, and it worked just as well. The price difference was about $7 per gallon.

mamacat
01-28-2010, 05:53 AM
I used some low VOC mixed up Home Depot that the neighbor had left over in our bedroom.The walls were already white but had some marker marks etc I have been really happy with it and they now have no voc Ive heard.Totally worth it.I dont know about it lasting for yrs.B moore might be better somehow?But it has been at least a yr and still looks great and I applied very little to cover the black marker..........

BriansLovie
01-28-2010, 05:57 AM
:popcorn

Havilah
01-28-2010, 06:47 AM
I like the Olympic low VOC from Lowe's and I think it's a little less spendy.

diamondintherough
01-28-2010, 07:43 AM
I'm also wondering if we have paint "matched" at Lowe's or Home Depot from a chip from BM (I stopped there the other day and the lady was very helpful) will they be able to match exactly? We have spent hours and hours poring over paint chips and have finally (with the help of the BM lady) been able to agree on 2 colors. I would hate for it to not come out the right color.

---------- Post added at 09:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:40 AM ----------

I used some low VOC mixed up Home Depot that the neighbor had left over in our bedroom.The walls were already white but had some marker marks etc I have been really happy with it and they now have no voc Ive heard.Totally worth it.I dont know about it lasting for yrs.B moore might be better somehow?But it has been at least a yr and still looks great and I applied very little to cover the black marker..........

Whatever we paint with has to last years and years. Just getting dh to do this is HUGE. He thinks things should be done once (possibly once in a lifetime :shifty)

Also, the "great" room is very high. A friend is coming to get the high spots b/c dh is not comfortable going up that high.

allisonintx
01-28-2010, 07:43 AM
computerized paint matching works. We've had all kinds of things matched. Paint chips are especially easy to match (moreso than fabrics)

diamondintherough
01-28-2010, 07:48 AM
So, I shouldn't feel badly about "using" the expertise of the lady at BM and not buying her paint?

Normally I wouldn't, but with all things considered (the implication that the paint is better somehow, the help she gave, etc.) I'm feeling a bit badly about going elsewhere.

OTOH, I am VERY frugal and don't want to spend more than I have to. Help be darned. They could lower the price if they want to stay competitive.

OTOH--I don't want to buy cheap paint that requires 2-3 coats if there is another product that will do it in one which will be more economical in the long run.

Oh, and WHY do I let myself get so stressed-out about this stuff?????

allisonintx
01-28-2010, 07:50 AM
I always just use Behr paint from Home Depot. I've painted lots of houses, and I really like this paint. I do always get primer, though, and have it tinted to match the paint, that way I spend less, and the paint goes on smoother. I know a lot of places are advocating ditching the primer in favor of more paint, but at 7-10.00 less per gallon, the primer is still worth it to me.

RiverRock
01-28-2010, 10:21 AM
We recently had our interior (everything except 1 room and 2 closets) painted with Benjamin Moore paint. Aura was used where possible, and where the colour had to have it's strength cut, the Designer Series (I think that's what it is called) was used. The Aura dries so fast and can usually be applied without primer, so a room can have it's full 2 coats done in one day. The paint is pricier, but the convenience might make it worth the cost. Our painter told us that colour matching doesn't always work and he has seen a lot of disappointed customers try to use BM colours by colour matching.

When we originally painted we used the high end paint from General Paint (2000 series?) and it washed and held up very well. I have ILs who built a house for resale and used a cheap end paint from Cloverdale (although I think any company's cheap paint would be comparable) and the walls leave smudges if they try to wash them, and a gentle scrape will leave a lasting mark. A year later and it looks like the common areas need to be repainted. :-/

I don't think you necessarilly need to use BM paint, but a high quality eggshell is what I would recommend.

Drew
01-28-2010, 10:48 AM
I've used a variety of paints in my house: Glidden (Martha Stewart, Ralph Lauren, and regular paints), Behr, Sherwin Williams, Valspar (Laura Ashley), Benjamin Moore, and a local hardware brand. The Benjamin Moore paint has been hands down the best. The finish is beautiful and the quality of the color is perfect. I did need two coats but I used a fairly dark color and the walls were super dry and thirsty for paint.

Of the other paints I've used I would say the Glidden and Sherwin Williams are probably tied for my second choice. The finish isn't quite as nice as the stuff from BM but it's decent. Personally I would never buy Behr again. I know some people like it but really it's so thick I feel like I'm trying to paint with glue.

allisonintx
01-28-2010, 10:56 AM
lol, the thickness is what I love about the Behr, and why I won't use Glidden, which I find to be like painting with watercolor...goes to show, personal preference can not be put aside where almost any consumer product is concerned. There is something for everyone.

mountainash
01-28-2010, 11:05 AM
I love Valspar from Lowes and Behr from Home Depot. They're thick paints that cover quickly. They aren't low VOC though.

Drew
01-28-2010, 11:21 AM
lol, the thickness is what I love about the Behr, and why I won't use Glidden, which I find to be like painting with watercolor...goes to show, personal preference can not be put aside where almost any consumer product is concerned. There is something for everyone.

So true.

BriansLovie
01-28-2010, 12:19 PM
So, I shouldn't feel badly about "using" the expertise of the lady at BM and not buying her paint?

Normally I wouldn't, but with all things considered (the implication that the paint is better somehow, the help she gave, etc.) I'm feeling a bit badly about going elsewhere.

OTOH, I am VERY frugal and don't want to spend more than I have to. Help be darned. They could lower the price if they want to stay competitive.

OTOH--I don't want to buy cheap paint that requires 2-3 coats if there is another product that will do it in one which will be more economical in the long run.

Oh, and WHY do I let myself get so stressed-out about this stuff?????

Does the BM lady (sorry, can't help but laugh at this hehe) work on commission?

diamondintherough
01-29-2010, 04:52 PM
Does the BM lady (sorry, can't help but laugh at this hehe) work on commission?

LOL--I think she might. She will live if I go elsewhere, but she did help me quite a bit.

BriansLovie
01-29-2010, 05:53 PM
LOL--I think she might. She will live if I go elsewhere, but she did help me quite a bit.

Yeah she will : ) Probably doesnt make much commission on paint anyways.

allisonintx
01-29-2010, 06:54 PM
how much commission could there be on a 30.00 gallon of paint? Go in and give her the 3.00 if you're going to have guilt about it ;)

BriansLovie
01-29-2010, 07:49 PM
how much commission could there be on a 30.00 gallon of paint? Go in and give her the 3.00 if you're going to have guilt about it ;)

:lol

diamondintherough
01-30-2010, 03:06 PM

LOL--you are so funny! I doubt I will have guilt about it. I'm too frugal to worry too much, but I like your idea.

diamondintherough
02-02-2010, 04:17 PM
I love Valspar from Lowes and Behr from Home Depot. They're thick paints that cover quickly. They aren't low VOC though.

I haven't had too much trouble with latex paint. I disappear for a while and have been o.k. when I come back, but...

my allergies seem to be getting worse and it's been a while since we painted. I'm also allergic to latex itself :-/ Not many options there, though.

Anyhow, I guess that I would prefer to go with low/no VOC just in case, but not if it costs $10 more per can. Does that make any sense? If I had a serious reaction then I would insist. I think when we do my bedroom that I will use the low/no VOC paint because I'll be sleeping in there.