PDA

View Full Version : Baby Steps Home Challenge - Thursday, January 28

filmgirl2911
01-28-2010, 04:04 AM
Good Morning, Ladies :kiss

Okay - so Challenge 1 remains on the list just in case anyone else did not get all of the tasks done (and I added one ;))

And I've added another Challenge for the day :)

Daily Activities (this will be tweaked a bit starting next week; use it as a jumping off point):

5 minute challenge participation
dishes (at least some, probably as part of the kitchen recovery)
laundry (at least some)
Your new habit
Return 10 things to their appropriate homes, enlist your kids' help as appropriate
20-minute kitchen recovery - we probably don't really need this given all the cleaning we'll be doing here today :giggle

20-minute living space recovery
15-minute bathroom recovery
Clutter Busters
Two Do List

The RECOVERY items should include making the room comfortably presentable - if your spouse brought someone home unannounced or if a friend stopped by unexpectedly, you'd feel comfortable with the fact that your rooms have a basic tidiness to them :mrgreen

Challenge 1 - kitchen appliances and surfaces
Today, we are going to focus on some deep cleaning in the kitchen:

let's get the stove taken apart and clean all the knobs, the burner surfaces and the little areas under the burners (mine are silver and can be removed, soaked / washed and put back nice and shiny). Don't forget to do the hood of the stove and the inside and outside of the door of the stove.
let's get those small appliances sparkling :) This includes toasters, toaster ovens, microwaves, crockpot / slow cookers, coffee makers, bread makers - any small appliance that has a spot on the counter. Clean and disinfect it and make it shine - shake those crumbs out of the toaster oven or toaster, clean the inside of the microwave, send that coffee pot through the dishwasher.
let's wipe down those countertops and the fronts of the dishwasher, and refrigerator.
oh - and make sure to remove any clutter from the kitchen surfaces that does not belong there
NEW let's tackle that floor, too - sweep and mop it up (I don't know about you, but this is a constant for me and needs attention regularly :yes)
NEW and, finally, let's go ahead and wipe down all the cabinet fronts - *especially* the ones where any little hands like to open and close and touch (my little girl has a couple of cupboards that she can get into whenever to play, and those can get a little covered up with little hand prints :giggle)

Challenge 2 - a little dusting, decluttering sweeping and / or vacuuming - we will work on this challenge today and tomorrow, so don't feel as if you have to do it all today :no

okay - I don't know about you, but it's been a while since I've dusted the baseboards here - and they show it :bag SO, let's start at the bottom today and spend a little time chasing out the dust bunnies on the baseboards (feel free to let the kids help with a sock on their hand or a Swiffer)
check any obvious surfaces in the main living spaces where you spend your time - could they use a little bit of dusting or clutter clearing? Pick at least three spots and put on a song or two and see what you can do; and if they've had clutter on them, consider a quick dusting after you get rid of the clutter
let's tackle the floors in the main living spaces (dining rooms, living rooms, family rooms); first, can you see them or are they covered up in spots with things that don't belong in the room? Then, it's time to swiffer, sweep or vacuum those rooms.

Again - these are not something to tackle in an all-at-once mode. Break it down into Baby Steps - set a timer or put a couple of songs on, do some cleaning and then, take a break (see the part about time for you and time for God and time for kiddo below :grin)

Daily Challenge - And don't forget to spend some focused time with your little ones today - read a story or two, sing some songs, play on the floor - connect with your little one(s) :heart

Daily Challenge - And, the new habit - giving God part of the best part of your day - through prayer and reading His Word :amen

hey mommy
01-28-2010, 08:49 AM
holding my place so I remember to do this..

prov31craftymom
01-28-2010, 09:37 AM
Wow! I think I'm getting overwhelmed with the challenges. Maybe I missed something and it is getting so big, b/c we are still listing things from all week? :shrug3

filmgirl2911
01-28-2010, 10:03 AM
Wow! I think I'm getting overwhelmed with the challenges. Maybe I missed something and it is getting so big, b/c we are still listing things from all week? :shrug3

Yes - mostly putting together a list of things for one room or several items that I note should be spread out over at least two days (and, if need be, like the kitchen challenge), we go to a third day. It makes it easier for me for posting each night ;)

And, starting next week, I'm going to tweak a few things, starting with the dailies - you'll see that they are *not* the same every day with regard to certain items :)

I'll be back - time to nap little girl :heart

---------- Post added at 05:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:40 PM ----------

And, prov31craftymom - I'm not sure if you think that the list posted today is all for today - the kitchen challenge was posted on Tuesday, and I've included it each day, including today - with a couple of add-ons for today but only for those who feel they are keeping up.

With really young littles, like mine is only 23 months, that list is not something I expect to conquer in a day or even two or three days. But for some folks who have older littles in school and whatnot, they may have time to spend on a single day attacking a list like that (I cannot remember what it was like in the days of no littles in the house with needs of attention and want of play-time with mama :giggle)

So, I post a long list with lots of reminders that you should only do small Baby steps - clean to a song or two (three at the most, and then take a break). Or set a timer - do only small increments and what gets done - :cheer - what doesn't, well, it can wait till tomorrow.

Hope this helps :heart

HindsFeet
01-28-2010, 12:44 PM
Ok, I'm rebelling a little today. :P~ We didn't have a good morning, and so I'm just going to focus on some dailies, and tidying up my bedroom (instead of the kitchen) so I have a place to retreat to. Plus I did already mop the kitchen earlier this week, when I came home from running errands to find that my kids had spilled pineapple juice all over the floor, and dh hadn't noticed. :mad

filmgirl2911
01-28-2010, 01:27 PM
Ok, I'm rebelling a little today. :P~ We didn't have a good morning, and so I'm just going to focus on some dailies, and tidying up my bedroom (instead of the kitchen) so I have a place to retreat to. Plus I did already mop the kitchen earlier this week, when I came home from running errands to find that my kids had spilled pineapple juice all over the floor, and dh hadn't noticed. :mad

:cheer excellent!! I think a place to retreat is an excellent idea :cheer

charla
01-28-2010, 02:41 PM
Daily Activities (this will be tweaked a bit starting next week; use it as a jumping off point):

5 minute challenge participation
dishes (at least some, probably as part of the kitchen recovery)
laundry (at least some)
Your new habit
Return 10 things to their appropriate homes, enlist your kids' help as appropriate
20-minute kitchen recovery - we probably don't really need this given all the cleaning we'll be doing here today :giggle

20-minute living space recovery
15-minute bathroom recovery
Clutter Busters - mail
Two Do List
Challenge 1 - kitchen appliances and surfaces
Today, we are going to focus on some deep cleaning in the kitchen:

let's get the stove taken apart and clean all the knobs, the burner surfaces and the little areas under the burners (mine are silver and can be removed, soaked / washed and put back nice and shiny). Don't forget to do the hood of the stove and the inside and outside of the door of the stove.
let's get those small appliances sparkling :) This includes toasters, toaster ovens, microwaves, crockpot / slow cookers, coffee makers, bread makers - any small appliance that has a spot on the counter. Clean and disinfect it and make it shine - shake those crumbs out of the toaster oven or toaster, clean the inside of the microwave, send that coffee pot through the dishwasher.
let's wipe down those countertops and the fronts of the dishwasher, and refrigerator.
oh - and make sure to remove any clutter from the kitchen surfaces that does not belong there
NEW let's tackle that floor, too - sweep and mop it up (I don't know about you, but this is a constant for me and needs attention regularly :yes)
NEW and, finally, let's go ahead and wipe down all the cabinet fronts - *especially* the ones where any little hands like to open and close and touch (my little girl has a couple of cupboards that she can get into whenever to play, and those can get a little covered up with little hand prints :giggle)
Challenge 2 - a little dusting, decluttering sweeping and / or vacuuming - we will work on this challenge today and tomorrow, so don't feel as if you have to do it all today :no

okay - I don't know about you, but it's been a while since I've dusted the baseboards here - and they show it :bag SO, let's start at the bottom today and spend a little time chasing out the dust bunnies on the baseboards (feel free to let the kids help with a sock on their hand or a Swiffer)
check any obvious surfaces in the main living spaces where you spend your time - could they use a little bit of dusting or clutter clearing? Pick at least three spots and put on a song or two and see what you can do; and if they've had clutter on them, consider a quick dusting after you get rid of the clutter
let's tackle the floors in the main living spaces (dining rooms, living rooms, family rooms); first, can you see them or are they covered up in spots with things that don't belong in the room? Then, it's time to swiffer, sweep or vacuum those rooms.
Daily Challenge - And don't forget to spend some focused time with your little ones today - read a story or two, sing some songs, play on the floor - connect with your little one(s)

Daily Challenge - And, the new habit - giving God part of the best part of your day - through prayer and reading His Word