PDA

View Full Version : EASY pizza dough recipe?

rebecuna
01-27-2010, 03:29 PM
I don't have much patience for yeast and punching things down... but I really want to make pizza, and we don't have pizza dough you can buy where I live. Do you have a good recipe? Tips?

AmyDoll
01-27-2010, 03:33 PM
This is easy & fun:

It does have yeast & punching - but it's QUICK!

2 3/4 to 3 1/4 cup all purpose flour
1 pkg (2 1/4 tsp) active dry yeast
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup warm water (120-130deg)
2 T oil

In large mixing bowl combine 1 1/4 c flour, yeast, and salt. Add water and oil. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed for 30 seconds, scraping bowl. Beat on high speed for 3 min. Stir in as much of the remaining flour as you can. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead in enough remaining flour to make a moderately stiff dough that is smooth and elastic (6-8 min. total). Divide in half. Cover and let rest for 10 min.

For thin crust, grease pans or baking sheets. On a lightly floured surface roll dough out into 13" circle. Transfer to pans. Build up edges slightly. Do not let rise. Bake at 425 deg. about 12 min. or til brown. Spread pizza sauce and toppings onto hot crust. Bake for 10-15 min. more.

I mixed this by hand.

(from Kiloyd)

Close2MyHeart
01-27-2010, 03:40 PM
I just use my regular whole wheat bread recipe (made w/ white whole wheat flour) It's yummy

Aerynne
01-27-2010, 03:40 PM
This one has yeast but no punching down

5 1/4 c. BREAD flour or whole grain flour
1/2 tbsp salt
1/4 c. sugar
2 tbsp yeast
mix all those things together

Add:
1/6 c. oil
2 c. hot water (hottest out of your tap)

Mix together in an electric mixer. Once it's pretty well mixed, check the consistency. It should be sticky (not cleaning the sides of the mixing bowl) but definitely dough and not batter. Knead five minutes (or 10 minutes by hand). Get oil on your hands, take out dough, and roll it into pizza shape. Put pizza stuff on it. After it's a complete but raw pizza, this is when you can let it rise for 30 minutes (or skip it if you're in a hurry). Bake at 425 for 15 minutes or until it's done.

Lady TS
01-27-2010, 04:00 PM
Pizza Dough

4-5 cups flour(I use the 5 cups, half white and half whole wheat)
3 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
4 1/2 tsp yeast
1 1/2 cups hot water
1/2 cup warm milk(if dairy free, I just use this much more water)
3 TB olive oil

Mix dry ingredients in large mixer bowl. Add liquid ingredients all at once. Allow to knead in mixer 2-3 minutes, adding flour as necessary. Roll out on floured surface. Place on greased(I don't bother w/grease but may sprinkle cornmeal on) stone baking sheet. Top with favorite toppings. Bake at 550* for 7-10 minutes or until it looks done.

Mama Calidad
01-27-2010, 04:02 PM
Take one telephone and combine with the number to Pizza Hut. Works every time.

rebecuna
01-27-2010, 04:09 PM
Take one telephone and combine with the number to Pizza Hut. Works every time.
:giggle

So... kneading in the bowl. I'm assuming this uses a Kitchen-Aid mixer or something like that? I just have a hand mixer, and it's low speed is pretty fast. Should I mix by hand until combined, then use the low speed on the mixer? And then knead by hand?

Aerynne
01-27-2010, 06:36 PM
:giggle

So... kneading in the bowl. I'm assuming this uses a Kitchen-Aid mixer or something like that? I just have a hand mixer, and it's low speed is pretty fast. Should I mix by hand until combined, then use the low speed on the mixer? And then knead by hand?

If you only have a hand mixer, just knead by hand. Don't even try to put it in a hand mixer. You have to have a heavy duty mixer with a dough hook to make it in the mixer.

JavaMama
01-27-2010, 07:30 PM
I ADORE the pizza crust recipe on the Bob's Red Mill website... it's the recipe printed on the side of their Organic Unbleached Flour bags. :)

AndiRoo
01-27-2010, 07:35 PM
Wish I would have asked this yesterday....We had a pizza dough FIASCO!! Oye! Thanks for these!!

itzj
01-27-2010, 07:38 PM
Pizza or Focaccia Dough

2 cups bread flour
3/4 tsp salt
2.5 tsp yeast
3 TBSP olive oil
2/3 cup warm water (add more if dough feels tight, it should be softer like your cheek)

I put it all in food processor, knead it and then put it in an oiled bowl and cover. Let rise an hour. Spread on pan. If you want a puffier pizza let it do 30 extra minutes on the pan.

tinybutterfly
01-27-2010, 07:41 PM
You can make pizza dough out of Bisquick or Jiffy Mix.

2 cups Bisquick (Heart Healthy) or Jiffy Mix, 1/3 cup hot water, 1 T olive oil... may have to add more water). Add your sauce and toppings. Baked at 450 for 10 minutes.

I found this on the internet from another mom.

It was good, but a bit like pizza on a biscut. Ds#2 didn't really like it. We are going to try another recipe, but I do like this for in a pinch.

Really, if it was just me eating it, I liked it fine. :shrug3

ubermom
01-27-2010, 07:47 PM
Pizza or Focaccia Dough

2 cups bread flour
3/4 tsp salt
2.5 tsp yeast
3 TBSP olive oil
2/3 cup warm water (add more if dough feels tight, it should be softer like your cheek)

I put it all in food processor, knead it and then put it in an oiled bowl and cover. Let rise an hour. Spread on pan. If you want a puffier pizza let it do 30 extra minutes on the pan.

I use this recipe but I don't let it rise. I take it straight from the food processor to the counter with the rolling pin.

tinybutterfly
01-27-2010, 07:54 PM
Do you HAVE to do it in a food processor? I got rid of mine!

Lady Grey
01-27-2010, 08:10 PM
will be back later.... fussy toddler

rebecuna
01-28-2010, 06:09 AM
Don't even try to put it in a hand mixer. You have to have a heavy duty mixer with a dough hook to make it in the mixer.
I should have said... my hand mixer has dough hooks that came with it. It seems heavy duty in the sense that it's powerful, but I don't know how it would do with a thick dough since I haven't done that. Still crazy to try?

Lady Grey
01-28-2010, 12:52 PM
Okay - I decided to look up the original link because she includes some pictures and I know that is helpful. :) I use all whole wheat flour and have reduced that amount to 2 1/4 cups. You can vary the type of oil and sugar too.

I like this recipe a lot because it is very fast to whip up and doesn't require a mixer. I know there are much yummier recipes out there, but this works well for us right now because it combines fast+healthy+tasty not to mention consistent results. HTH!

http://crosbeans.blogspot. com/2008/08/easy-whole-wheat-pizza-wpics.html

monkeylicious
01-28-2010, 01:03 PM
this is easy-peasy (as my dd would say) this is a multi-purpose sour dough that makes awesome pizza! you can search on here also for a monster thread about it and all the switching out you can do. the pizza will be a bit into the article

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Real-Food/Artisan-Bread-In-Five-Minutes-A-Day.aspx

mamacat
01-28-2010, 01:20 PM
If you arent looking for a really healthy dough,we have used those Martha Whit pizza mixess in a pouch before.You add hot water and oil of choice,mix up,let rise and then spread in pans.It comes out better if you let it rise in a warm place and for longer IME & IMO and I dont pre bake it,I add toppings and bake for 10 minutes at temp they say.Then turn oven off and broil for about 5 minutes till cheese is the desired amount of done