PDA

View Full Version : I have fruit flies.

NoodleMom
01-25-2010, 05:32 PM
I need some help figuring out how to get rid of them. I would like something natural so it wont harm the kids or our pets. They never land anywhere long enuf and they are stinkin' fast. You cant kill them by smackin'em.
Please help we are surrounded.
K

mountainash
01-25-2010, 06:44 PM
Was it here or on facebook where I read about the oven trick?

You put half a fresh lemon or a small jar of vinegar in your oven and wait 'til the flies go after it (overnight is good), then you shut the oven door, turn it to the clean setting (broil would work) and afterward you clean out the oven.

BHope
01-25-2010, 06:46 PM
We had a fruit fly issue last year and no matter how hard I tried I could not kill them fast enough. Someone finally told me to pour bleach down my garbage disposal. So I did. Viola! No more fruit flies!!

abh5e8
01-25-2010, 06:53 PM
the oven idea makes me :giggle we have had great success with a small bowel of redwine and a few drops of soap. the sweetness of the wine attracts them and then the soap decreases the surface tension so when they land, they sink...bybyby. its kinda gross to rinse the bowel of dead flies out but not too bad.

another funny idea i read was to try to suck them into the back of a hari dryer.

oh...and definatly put all your fruit into the fridge. :)

NoodleMom
01-25-2010, 09:00 PM
Im trying the bleach right now.:yes

brown eyed girl
01-25-2010, 09:34 PM
Wash your bananas when you bring them home. Don't bring home anything that is already overripe. Put your compost bowl in the fridge.

Joyful Mommy
01-25-2010, 09:40 PM
get a small dish or jar (I usually use a small baby food jar), and pour it about 1/3 full with red wine vinegar (or wine). then put in a drop of dish soap. The soap keeps them from flying out again.

trust me, this works really well. we always get fruit flies in the fall, and it works every time.

they also dislike lavender, so I've wiped the counter and kitchen knobs with a cloth dipped in water and some lavender EO, and that worked for me, too, to keep them away from a certain area.

MamaCare
01-26-2010, 12:09 AM
I always use a little jar of ACV w/a drop or two of dish soap.