PDA

View Full Version : What laundry detergent do you use?

Radosny Matka
01-24-2010, 04:10 PM
I'd like to switch laundry detergents. Right now I'm using Melaleuca, and I'm not thrilled with it anymore. I feel like it doesn't do a great job getting out grease, and my boys love to use their clothes as napkins. :rolleyes I want something natural, and I don't want to make it myself. Suggestions? :ty

abh5e8
01-24-2010, 04:27 PM
we are really happy with charlies soap. i use it for everything...clothes, diapers, towels. we have been using it about 6 so months and so far so good!!

J3K
01-24-2010, 04:27 PM
I use Purex Ultra Concentrate. http://www.purexsavesgreen.com/ (coupon )

I'll go look..hold on....

The ingredients :
naturally derived cleaning agents (coconut and/or palm based surfactants , naturally softened water and fragrance made from naturally derived extracts.

You can also get the "free and clear" kind.

cindergretta
01-24-2010, 04:30 PM
Do you have a Costco? Kirkland Signature brand makes a line of natural, environmentally friendly cleaners that are, for the most part, really good. We use the dish soap and concentrated cleaner. I haven't tried the laundry stuff cuz I just can't let go of my Tide.... :bag

JenLovie
01-24-2010, 06:32 PM
Currently we use All Free and Clear with BioKleen for diapers.

Atarah
01-24-2010, 06:37 PM
We :heart Charlies.

Aerynne
01-24-2010, 07:24 PM
We also use Charlie's soap. It is so inexpensive and works quite well. We ordered the huge bucket over a year ago and have used maybe 2/3 of it.

AmyDoll
01-24-2010, 07:32 PM
I order BioKleen from Amazon once a year or so - If you do it on *autoship* you get a 10% discount and then you can cancel the autoship at any time - even right after you place your order.

Drew
01-25-2010, 07:59 AM
Method Squeaky Green Free and clear. I have a HE machine and a bottle of this lasts soooo long.

Do you have a Costco? Kirkland Signature brand makes a line of natural, environmentally friendly cleaners that are, for the most part, really good. We use the dish soap and concentrated cleaner. I haven't tried the laundry stuff cuz I just can't let go of my Tide.... :bag

I'll never buy their laundry soap again because it was faded our clothes. :(

HomeWithMyBabies
01-25-2010, 08:16 AM
I am a recent convert to Biokleen. I get it at my HFS. It's cheaper than amazon that way. I thought it would break the bank but a little goes a long way. :yes

cindergretta
01-25-2010, 11:36 AM
I'll never buy their laundry soap again because it was faded our clothes. :(

Good to know! Thanks! (Tho I'm sorry it ruined your clothing. :( :hugheart )

AmyDoll
01-25-2010, 11:46 AM
I am a recent convert to Biokleen. I get it at my HFS. It's cheaper than amazon that way. I thought it would break the bank but a little goes a long way. :yes

This is so true - I only use 1T in my HE washer. That's 128 loads from a 64oz bottle! :jawdrop

I'll have to check the price at my HFS - it's just so easy to have a case of 6 come to the front door :giggle

Katigre
01-25-2010, 11:52 AM
7th Generation Powder (Free and Clear - I can't stand scents in laundry). I use it for regular clothes and diapers and it works great :).

Peacemama
01-26-2010, 07:07 PM
We use Maggies soap nuts, Ive been using them for over 2 years now and Ill never go back :)

J3K
01-26-2010, 08:26 PM
Method brand...is that at Target ?

believer
01-26-2010, 10:11 PM
I looked up the Charlie's soap and it looks really expensive to me. How much of it do you use in a wash load?
We make our own laundry soap - via the Duggar recipee using Fels Naptha soap (not a natural thing but I have heard you can use homemade natural soap instead, washing soda and borax).
My son did his science fair project comparing that homemade soap to a homade soap that uses castille soap in the recipe and Tide.
The Tide did work a bit better.
However, the Tide costs 25 cents per load (if you get a larger size using a coupon it could be slightly less) and the homemade Duggar recipe soap costs 1.28 cents per load. That means that Tide costs 25 times more than the homemade laundry soap. It does not work 25 times better. The other homemade soap using Castille soap cost more than the Tide due to the cost of the Castille soap.
So, we use the homemade because it is cheap and we can add pretreatments if needed and it is still way cheaper than Tide.

Drew
01-27-2010, 12:43 PM
Method brand...is that at Target ?

Yes. Home Depot, at least the one by me, carries Method as well. You can also get it online through Method or Amazon but Target is always less expensive in my experience.