PDA

View Full Version : I've HAD it. *extreme family clothing makeover*

Aisling
01-23-2010, 01:24 PM
I'm done, done, DONE with having potentially 8-10 loads of laundry circulating through our household at one time. It takes up space, we lose things, I'm constantly feeling stressed, and it's just generally miserable. :hissyfit

I'm going extreme. :shifty:idea:dreads2

This spring and summer, the girls are each going to be issued 3 tie dyed shirts, and 2 pairs of sturdy shorts and a pair of loose knee pants each. They'll also have 3 dresses for "going out", and one nice outfit for birthday parties and such in a stain-friendly color. End of story.

I'm going to have a nice bodiced, trend-friendly sturdy, short brown jumper made that can be paired with t shirts easily, and two pairs of jeans, and my existing ts. Period.

Dh just keeps his work clothes.

Next, we move on to the dishes, toys and crafting junk.

I will NOT have all this junk overwhelm my life. I will NOT knock myself out silly trying to coordinate dozens of painfully cute outfits for everyone this year. I'm over it.

That's all. :shifty:giggle:shifty

WanderingJuniper
01-23-2010, 01:31 PM
:rockon

veggiegirl
01-23-2010, 01:34 PM
:rockon

hopeforchange
01-23-2010, 01:34 PM
i always say stuff like this, but then it never happens. :shifty i wish i were brave enough to actually implement it...but then i'd have to explain to grandparents that i really mean it when i say that the kids don't need anymore clothes. also, i have babies that spit up a lot, so they'd have to have more clothes...

you've got me thinking...:doh

Aisling
01-23-2010, 01:43 PM
That's why I picked tie-dye....it's good camouflage. :giggle I couldn't do it during a baby year, either...I'd need a couple more outfits in rotation, for the reason you mentioned. :yes

Jaycie
01-23-2010, 01:45 PM
i always say stuff like this, but then it never happens. :shifty i wish i were brave enough to actually implement it...but then i'd have to explain to grandparents that i really mean it when i say that the kids don't need anymore clothes. also, i have babies that spit up a lot, so they'd have to have more clothes...

you've got me thinking...:doh

Ditto

tigerlily
01-23-2010, 01:47 PM
hmmm...interesting. Maybe I'll implement a limit on clothes this year -- 4 everyday shirts, two shorts/two pants/two skirts a couple of dresses.

Are you buying new stuff or do you buy consignment?

allisonintx
01-23-2010, 01:48 PM
I've been throwing out/donating everything that doesn't just 'ring my bell' clothingwise.

I've offloaded about six 33gallon bags of clothes in the last couple of months.

Aisling
01-23-2010, 01:52 PM
I've been throwing out/donating everything that doesn't just 'ring my bell' clothingwise.

I've offloaded about six 33gallon bags of clothes in the last couple of months.
yep. :shifty

tigerlily, almost exclusively consignment. for the littles, they have a few hand me downs that will fit the bill. Everyone already has dresses for the summer. :rockon

BHope
01-23-2010, 01:59 PM
Every year I say the same thing. And yet, here I am drowning in laundry.

Granola_mom
01-23-2010, 02:00 PM
I had a friend who did that a while back.....it :( me because my mom and I had spend $$$ school shopping with her older daughter just months before that.......I don't know if she kept any of the clothes we bought for her daughter.

Personally I think that's really extreme and caution such a move.....
For instance...
My boys have school uniforms and they are $$$, so in the beginning of the school year we bought them each 3 shirts and two shorts..( otherwise we would've been spending over $400)
...only to find out that we'd be doing laundry more and more to keep up with all the playing and food stains they aquire. And sometimes we have to scramble in the morning and dig in the dirty laundry...:shifty I'm needing to do their school laundry more often...... So that in itself is just as stressful as too much......

Sweet Life
01-23-2010, 02:05 PM
ITU :hug

We're another family that has cleaned out a TON and pared down to a certain number of shirts, pants, etc. It's been great. Getting a method down for my laundry has helped a lot too, though. :tu

We could not go quite as extreme as you because my kids literally *ruin* clothes and I am not ready to get rid of everything only to have to go out and buy more. :shrug3 Also, we have variability even in our summer temps and wewather (snow in July, anyone?) and need to keep at least a minimal amount of layered clothing available year round.

Let us know how it goes. :yes :hug

RiverRock
01-23-2010, 03:04 PM
ITU :hug

We could not go quite as extreme as you because my kids literally *ruin* clothes and I am not ready to get rid of everything only to have to go out and buy more. :shrug3 Also, we have variability even in our summer temps and wewather (snow in July, anyone?) and need to keep at least a minimal amount of layered clothing available year round.

Let us know how it goes. :yes :hug

Yep, that. I have made a conscious decision to buy fewer clothes in general. I had to return an item to Old Navy recently and could hardly believe that I walked out empty handed...and I did a quick walk of the entire store. That has NEVER happened to me. :jawdrop I think I've turned a new leaf, and it feels great!

SouthPaw
01-23-2010, 03:08 PM
I just try to make it so that literally every shirt matches every pair of pants!

I could never do laundry enough to pare down too much :bag

Niphredil
01-23-2010, 03:09 PM
I wish I could do that, but I'd be doing laundry everyday! My girls easily go through 3 outfits per day.

Good luck, though, it sounds like a great plan. All that stoopit folding time saved! :shifty

Marzipan
01-23-2010, 04:33 PM
You have inspired me. I just culled the baby clothes. Down to six outfits. Next, the 6 y/o-- which should be much easier as she just outgrew all her pants last week.

bananacake
01-23-2010, 04:36 PM
I love it!

joyful mama
01-23-2010, 04:42 PM
good for you :tu

I regularly pare down clothing, and now that we're probably moving very soon, will need to be a bit more drastic :yes

tree_hugger
01-23-2010, 04:45 PM
I've already started this process, but you've inspired me to finish the job! :yes

I am limiting each boy to five pairs on shorts, five pairs on pants, five t-shirts and five sweaters. Plus they have one "good" church outfit, too, and their scout uniforms.

Five pairs of shoes each - sandals, gumboots, runners, dress shoes and slippers for winter.

Looking at it, that actually seems like a lot of clothing? :think

Aisling
01-23-2010, 05:06 PM
our girls really run down their clothing, too...which is why I travel everywhere with big kid bibs and such. That's why I'm thinking sturdy, indestructible pants/shorts, and very bold, multicolored shirts for play and such.

Honestly, I'd much rather have a small, predictable nightly load of laundry than mounds and mounds of nebulous mystery laundry. :banghead

Granalo_mom, that stinks about your friend. :doh That's not something I see myself doing, for sure. If worse comes to worst here, we can always pull some of our oldies out of the hand me down bin, none the worse for wear. ;)