PDA

View Full Version : If I wanted to learn to knit or crochete

WanderingJuniper
01-21-2010, 12:10 PM
Where would you point me online? I would be as beginer as they come.:O I can sew but I've never worked with yarn at all.

Which is easier to learn?

Which is less expensive to get started?

Anything else I need to know?

I'm listening. Please impart your wisdom!

April G
01-21-2010, 12:14 PM
:popcorn

JJsMom
01-21-2010, 12:20 PM
I've been spending some time watching videos here:
http://www.knittinghelp.com/

I am knitting. I've heard crocheting is easier but I had always wanted to learn to knit. :)

Buela
01-21-2010, 12:24 PM
I taught myself to crochet (with a few pointers from my great aunt) I found it so much easier than knitting.

I had a book that taught me the basics, a terrible 70's pattern book complete with tea pot & toaster coasies and afgans using granny squares.

I have recently started to crochet again and have found tons of info online, and you can watch each stich being done on youtube. Lot's of free patterns too.

Basically, any pattern book you buy has a little "cheat sheet" in it with a review of all the stitches required and pictures.

I bought a package of hooks at the craft store for around $20, and a ball of yarn for $3. Just made a hat that used less than 1/2 the ball so pretty cheep.

Amber
01-21-2010, 12:45 PM
For learning to knit I second the knittinghelp.com website. I have been knitting for a few years now, but I still reference that website every now and then to refresh my memory on how to do some things.

scrappyknits
01-21-2010, 12:57 PM
there are some great books "I can't believe I'm knitting" and "I can't believe I'm crocheting" - I highly recommend either! there are SEVERAL videos on Youtube if you like to be able to see what you're doing that way. :)

I learned to crochet first - then learned to knit. As for which was easier, I think it's simply personal preference.

I heard that those that learn to crochet first also tend to learn to knit, whereas those who learn to knit first don't tend to learn about crochet :shrug3 don't know if that's true or not.

crochet is one needle and easier to pick up/put down if you have little ones to tend to

Finally, consider what you'd like to make? Socks? then knitting is nicer, blankets? Then crochet (knitting blankets takes FOREVER). Sweaters can be either. What can you see yourself making?

Price - they're pretty much equal in price. Crochet hooks might be slightly less expensive (by $1 or $2 - not much). Yarn is the same price for each - tho you might go through more yarn crocheting, as it tends to be a little faster then knitting.

Start with a small project - and HAVE FUN!!

WanderingJuniper
01-21-2010, 01:02 PM
As for what I'd like to do I'd say things like reusable grocery sacks, rag rugs, hats and scarves are the ones that so far interest me but I always tend to stray off the expected path with my crafting so who knows what I'll end up really liking.

scrappyknits
01-21-2010, 01:05 PM
As for what I'd like to do I'd say things like reusable grocery sacks, rag rugs, hats and scarves are the ones that so far interest me but I always tend to stray off the expected path with my crafting so who knows what I'll end up really liking.

All of these things lend themselves well to crochet.

Hats and scarves would be nice knitted, too, however in my experience, grocery sacks and rag rugs tend to be better crocheted (well, there is another method of knotting for rag rugs, too) I have knitted and crocheted grocery sacks, but I prefer the crocheted ones better - they seem to keep their shape better somehow.