PDA

View Full Version : Homekeeping for the ADD-prone

TraceMama
01-20-2010, 10:47 AM
Okay, so it seems some of us are feeling the tension between homekeeping and an ADD tendency and/or dx. :raise :shifty

I'm starting yet another thread to find out what strategies work for you -- strategies that keep you from feeling like you've flitted about from thing to thing all day without getting *anything* done. :sigh

Do you have a specific checklist? Do you set a timer? Are you tied to a planner? Do you have some other accountability? What works for you?

:think

erinee
01-20-2010, 11:46 AM
A couple of resources have helped me a lot: Flylady, while I haven't done it perfectly, has given me a lot of little mantras such as "housework done imperfectly still blesses your family" and "You can do anything for 15 minutes." Those little 15 minutes blocks help a lot -- it's about as long as I can do one thing without getting so hyperfocused that I burn dinner or neglect the kids or something like that. I don't jump up in the morning and start on my routine, but when I've had my coffee and feel ready to go, I make my bed, swish the bathroom, etc. It gives me kind of an order to my day, and it ensures that the major things get done so that the house never looks TOO chaotic (although it's still pretty messy).

The Sandra Felton books seem tailored to the ADD brain. She doesn't give you lists and routines but more just principles, and those principles have REALLY helped a lot for me to be more aware of little things that need to be done. Like, she describes in her book the difference between how a Messy and a Cleanie get a cup of coffee -- the Cleanie will put the coffee in the coffeemaker and then put the coffee away. The Messy is so focused on getting that cup of coffee that she'll leave a wake of messiness in her path that she has to deal with later. It's becoming more of a habit to me now to put things away as I'm done with them (that helped a LOT when I was baking cookies at Christmas!)

WanderingJuniper
01-20-2010, 12:00 PM
I have white boards throughout my house. I have a list of things on the kitchen counter. One in my office. One on my laundry closet doors. I also use the calendar/reminder function on my phone.

I used to have a homekeeping binder with a custom daily plan in it. I have to get back to that things are really slipping and I'm starting and it is starting to effect the kids activities and school.

TraceMama
01-21-2010, 10:56 AM
:bump Just in case anyone has any input :O Oh, and I apologize if this has been a recent thread and I somehow missed it :shifty

Forsynthianicki
01-21-2010, 11:54 AM
I also use a few flylady techniques. I set a timer and do whatever I can do in one room in 15 min. When my timer goes off I move to another room and set the timer for 15 min. After 45 minutes I take a break. Many times I don't even get through the whole 45 because I've got to stop and focus on the kiddo for a bit. I just try to remember that anything I do helps. Moving around keeps me from getting hyperfocused in one area. It is harder as it gets warmer because ds wants to be outside more (and I want him to be outside as well!!) so I do what I can and try not to stress too much. I also try and get the toys off of the living room floor before Dh comes home and we eat dinner. I often just toss them back into the kiddo's room but It's like taking back the living room so that Dh and I can enjoy some time together in there without stepping on little green army men. Whatever you do is better than nothing. The flylady swish and swipe has been great, it makes time spent cleaning the bathroom much faster. I also do better if I spend less time on the computer :giggle.

Quiteria
01-21-2010, 12:43 PM
subbing...b/c you know I won't remember to read this otherwise :o

Abibigail
01-21-2010, 12:46 PM
:popcorn