PDA

View Full Version : pan for eggs

milkmommy
01-18-2010, 10:42 AM
I've been scrambling a few eggs for breakfast lately. The only issue is then dealing with the pan I have Calphalon Anodized pots and skillets which overall I love but eggs stick no matter what I do so clean up is annoying. I'm considering getting like one "nonstick" type pan just for things like eggs but I'm also not a nonstick fan mostly for safety reasons. Ideas? COst is a factor as well as is how easy it will be to buy.

Deanna

RiverRock
01-18-2010, 07:49 PM
I use a well seasoned cast iron pan, with a little butter. Sometimes I get a bit of sticking around the edges. A little scrub with a stainless steel meshy thing gets it off with little effort...especially if the pan was allowed to soak for a few minutes.

BTW, your pan sounds dreamy. Mine is more the campfire variety.

StumblinMama
01-18-2010, 07:54 PM
I remember hearing a chef say "hot pan+cold oil=food won't stick"
Basically you heat the pan dry then add your oil/butter/etc after the pan is good and hot, then cook whatever it is you're cooking and supposedly it won't be as likely to stick. I also second the idea of using well-seasoned cast iron. That's the best for frying eggs .

RiverRock
01-18-2010, 08:28 PM
I remember hearing a chef say "hot pan+cold oil=food won't stick"
Basically you heat the pan dry then add your oil/butter/etc after the pan is good and hot, then cook whatever it is you're cooking and supposedly it won't be as likely to stick. I also second the idea of using well-seasoned cast iron. That's the best for frying eggs .

Hmmm...I always add the butter when the pan is hot, since it burns so easily. This is interesting, and will probably change the way I cook with oil forever! ;)

Amber
01-18-2010, 08:57 PM
I use a seasoned cast iron pan with a little oil sprayed in it. I usually only get a little sticking around the edges.

milkmommy
01-18-2010, 09:37 PM
I already do the hot pan cold oil thing.. I'll have to look a ast iron skillet...
Deanna

Quiteria
01-18-2010, 11:07 PM
dh *likes* the pans where scambled eggs stick, so you can peel off the crusty part if you overcook

if you add water and boil a moment afterward, the layer releases easily

milkmommy
01-18-2010, 11:11 PM
dh *likes* the pans where scambled eggs stick, so you can peel off the crusty part if you overcook

if you add water and boil a moment afterward, the layer releases easily

I've done all that and it just does NOT come off easily.. Which is weird cause everything else I throw at it does. :giggle

Deanna

Quiteria
01-18-2010, 11:25 PM
:giggle

Maybe you need to switch to a glass frying pan. Forget the Calphalon.

:giggle

:hug

milkmommy
01-18-2010, 11:40 PM
I love these pans for like EVERYTHING else but for some reason eggs just stick or rather they leave this weird film thats near impossible to get off..

Deanna

Lily
01-19-2010, 12:10 AM
I have the same Calphalon pans and almost threw them away because eggs stick so badly. They have been shoved in the back of my garage pantry for the past 2 yrs. I just pulled them out again and fell in love - until I tried to cook eggs.

Like you said - great for everything but eggs. I have a small Calphalon nonstick stainless steel pan that I use for eggs.