PDA

View Full Version : what sewing machine do you love?

tiffany
01-16-2010, 07:47 PM
so my sewing machine was given to me about 4 years ago or so and I never really learned to use it well, but I did piddle on it a bit and made a few things. I guess I've only used it about 10 times. When I tried to make some gifts in December, it died. My dad and stepmom, who bought it for me, decided to take it to have it fixed for me. The repairman told them to use it as a boat anchor. Literally. :-/

Apparently the company doesn't acknowledge the machine ever existed and there are no manuals made for the thing. The repairman said it could be fixed, but it will crash again guaranteed. He also said it probably never worked correctly, which was true, my stepmom just insisted it was because I didn't know how to use it. So now my dad and stepmom are not sure about getting me another one or putting some money with some of mine and getting me a nice one. I have a birthday coming in a couple of months and we should get tax money back too, so it's perfect timing.

The problem is that machines have changed a bunch since my stepmom knew anything about sewing and I don't know enough about them to know what's good. The repairman said Singer has been bought and sold so many times that they are now "MIC crap", as are anything we could buy in a big box store, but he's also trying to sell her an expensive machine so :shrug3

What should I be looking for? I don't want to spend a lot of money, but I don't want junk either. Maybe if we put some money together - in the $300 range, or less if I can still get a good machine.

TIA!

Niphredil
01-16-2010, 08:28 PM
I use a Husqvarna c20 and adore it to bitty pieces.

tiffany
01-16-2010, 09:09 PM
thanks! - I'll look into that :rockon

anyone else? :shifty

mamahammer
01-16-2010, 09:24 PM
I have a Husqvarna Emerald that I love :)

Eesti
01-16-2010, 10:33 PM
I have a Janome...not sure the # but it is one of the lower end machines...not an embroidery one.

I love it. I also have a Janome serger.

tiffany
01-16-2010, 10:48 PM
Janome was one of the ones the repairman recommended but it was a high end one - way out of our league. I looked at some of the lower-end ones online and liked them.

And Husqvarna probably makes really good ones too, since they make all kinds of machine-y things right? I'll keep looking.

What do you love about them?

any one else?

:ty

Autumn
01-16-2010, 10:54 PM
I have a Husqvarna Emerald that I love :)

Me too - I love it!

JenLovie
01-17-2010, 01:44 AM
I have a Baby Lock. I like it, but it was pretty pricey.

rebecuna
01-17-2010, 08:27 AM
i LOVE my mom's old elna. it's probably 30 years old, but it's never broken, that I can recall. It's sturdy and easy to use.

You might try looking on ebay or craig's list or something to try to find a used/refurbished one. I think it's the kind of thing that people get thinking they'll use it a lot and then when they don't, decide to get rid of it. :shrug

StumblinMama
01-17-2010, 09:31 AM
Since it sounds like you are fairly new to sewing, I'd recommend the Husqvarna Huskystar. (http://www.husqvarnaviking.com/us/596.htm)It would be a great entry-level machine for you! It combines the great craftsmanship of the fancier Husqvarnas with more simple features that are easier for a beginning seamstress. Plus, you could trade-up if you decide you want to go farther with your sewing. Most dealers will let you trade in your machine and put the money towards a more $$ one. It is a great investment.

Marielle
01-17-2010, 11:18 AM
I have a janome and a janome made sears kenmore serger which is what I'm going to recommend you look into. For a while janome was making most sears kenmore sewing machines which meant a wider range of features in a machine for a more reasonable price. Just go check them out in store and have them hook several up for you so you can choose. You can get a wide variety of higher end features like a one step buttonholer, presser foot pressure adjustment and a few more stitches for a pretty decent $150-$250.

Otherwise a refurbished machine (my embroidery machine is janome factory refurbished) can be a good value. Your repair guy is correct. Singer after the 1960s went downhill after a few change of ownership. Today you'll find one or two people who absolutely adore their walmart/joanns/target singers but more than likely you'll find many who gave up on sewing thinking it was them but really it was the machine or if they knew better, ended up with a doorstop.

If you don't have a ton of money you can check craigslist for some older machines. Singer 15s, 99s, 400s and 500s are solid machines. I bought a singer 185j for my mom for $15 and was able to score a box of feet for that machine for $5 on ebay. Elnas, necchi's if they are popular in your area. A good deal for these machines in decent working order is around $50.

eta: Whatever you do beware of the singer school quality machine scam. They set up a truck outside a hancocks, joann's or any other random strip mall, advertise in the paper that they are selling "solid metal" student machines from singer implying they they are more sturdy or you are getting a bargain. You'll spend a lot more money since it's not a bargain, many times it's a switch a bait for a higher priced machine but even when you do buy just the advertised machine you'll find it online for the same price and not being sold by a flight-by-night seller and that it's not a school version either.

tiffany
01-17-2010, 08:55 PM
Thanks ladies!! I am a newbie for the most part. I made some things that turned out really well, but I certainly need to know a lot more. :giggle

It looks like in my price range that Husqvarna's and the Janome's are good to look into. :think I'll look into all the great recommendations and beware the scams!!

Can I ask what you love about them? What does your machine have that you couldn't live without? or features that you would buy again? I do want to get a good machine I can grow into a little bit, but not so complicated I get overwhelmed learning.

Thanks so much!

StumblinMama
01-18-2010, 05:41 AM
Couldn't live without? The automatic 1 Step Buttonholer!! This is a must have for me, and it must be a 1-step. I've tried the machines with 4 step buttonholers and oh my--what a pain!

ellies mom
01-18-2010, 09:53 AM
Buying a used/refurbished one has been recommended but I just want to second the idea. Most repair places also sell used ones and you can get some really good deals. I would consider checking out what you could get for your budget if you went used. You might be surprised.

TestifyToLove
01-18-2010, 10:16 AM
I have a 12 year old Singer bought *just* after they were sold for the first time. Its okay but tempermental. The tension has been wonky since the day I bought it, but I know how to adjust it.

I'd love a Husqvarna butr cannot justify a new machine. But, the ONLY fancy function I use is the automatic buttonholer. The machine I REALLY want is my grandmother's 1939 cast iron Singer in the oak case that was her wedding present.

Its currently in the middle of my parents contentious divorce. But, mom has NO claim to a machine her MIL gave her on the explicit condition it was to stay with Dad and the kids. When the divorce is over, he WILL be getting it back. And, he says some day I will get it. He just hasn't decided if he wants to keep it to teach my teen sisters how to sew first, or to just give it to me. I'll teach my sisters to sew if he'll just let me have that machine :shifty

Seriously, it does straight and zigzag, forward and backward and that's it. Its electric but it was an early electric. There are no computer components. If its not working, you just wire a new electrical cord on again and its good to go again. Nothing stops that beast, as reliable as the rising sun, and so uncomplicated a 5 year old could operate it!

RooMama
01-18-2010, 11:53 AM
I have a Singer 1507 (purchased at Joann), that I just got last April. It's fine, I have some bobbin troubles with it, but I'm read to upgrade already. It was cheap and easy to learn on (I hadn't sewn anything since high school home ec class.) When I come into some money, I'll probably be looking at a husqvarna Viking machine.

Amber
01-18-2010, 06:47 PM
:popcorn I'm looking into getting a new machine in the next year or so.