PDA

View Full Version : Yippee! (Found homemade dish detergent recipe)

Peaceful Meadows
01-16-2010, 06:00 PM
I've been making my own laundry detergent for awhile now and it's a lot cheaper than buying it! (the recipe I use is similar to the 2nd one here (http://tipnut.com/10-homemade-laundry-soap-detergent-recipes/).) Well, I just found this website (http://www.howtodothings.com/hobbies/a4599-how-to-make-dish-soap.html) that has several recipes for making my own dish detergent! I am so excited! :rockon

WildOlive
01-16-2010, 06:33 PM
I am curious to know what type of water you have. I tried making my own laundry detergent, and after a few months of using it everything was really dingy and gray. Someone thought maybe it was due to my hard water w/ lots of minerals in it. I don't remember any more what recipe it was, only that it had washing soda, borax and fels naptha. I would love to be able to use it.

---------- Post added at 08:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:30 PM ----------

Hmm, now that I think about it, that was back when we had the front loader. I wonder how it would be in a top loader, if the larger amount of water would make a difference.

charla
01-16-2010, 06:52 PM
I've been wondering about making my own dish soap. Thanks for the information. :)

Peaceful Meadows
01-17-2010, 05:51 AM
I am curious to know what type of water you have. I tried making my own laundry detergent, and after a few months of using it everything was really dingy and gray. Someone thought maybe it was due to my hard water w/ lots of minerals in it. I don't remember any more what recipe it was, only that it had washing soda, borax and fels naptha. I would love to be able to use it.

We have hard well water. We don't have a water softner and our water is really hard. I have the top loader machine and my water doesn't look dingy. I use Kirk Castille bar soap in my recipe.

newday
01-17-2010, 06:13 AM
i have not had success making my own dish soap and i tried the first recipe on that website.
i think you have to use very hot water for efficacy :shrug3

Peaceful Meadows
01-17-2010, 06:35 AM
I'm going to try the third one on the site this week using Kirk's Castille bar soap. I think that I am going to change the recipe a bit though rather than let it sit over night I think I'll dissolve the soap in water that is almost boiling like I do when I make my laundry detergent.

I'll post after I have made it and let you know how it went.