PDA

View Full Version : Need ideas for organizing clothing

Fia
01-14-2010, 02:13 PM
Clothing is a huge clutter issue in our household. I'm sure we could stand to get rid of some clothing. Even with that, with DD we just don't have a lot of time anymore to maintain the standard we had pre-baby. I'm fine with that, but I don't want a broken system, you know.

Right now, I wash and dry the laundry and then it just sits in baskets. We never get around to putting it away. I'm wondering if there is a way to simplify how we organize our clothes. Right now, we hang most things and fold a few things. Underwear and socks go in plastic Rubbermaid drawers on shelves in the closet. The hanging part is the biggest problem.

Also, we wear clothes more than once. That would be fine if we hung them up at the end of the day, but we both just take our clothes off and drop them on the side of our bed so that we both have a pile of clothes by the bed. It gets to the point where I can't remember what has only been worn once and what I should have thrown in the hamper.

Maybe it's just a matter of being more disciplined, but I'm wondering if a simpler system could make it more functional. I have ideas like using those under the bed tubs to lay our "worn once" clothing in and slide it under the bed out of the way.

Just wondering if anyone has any other ideas out there.

Aerynne
01-14-2010, 02:19 PM
I grew up thinking it was too much trouble to put stuff where it went right away. Come to find out it's not and I'm just now (at 30) disciplining myself in that direction. Use a can opener? If I have to put it down I might as well put it back in the drawer it came from. If I have to put my clothes somewhere when I take them off, might as well be the hamper (or hang back up if I'm going to wear it again). So for me it just has been more self-discipline, and it's working. I try to apply it to all areas of my home, not just clothing/bedrooms.

amyhntr2
01-14-2010, 06:28 PM
I've been trying to get better about putting things away right away also. At the beginning of Dh and I's marriage we would have about a months worth of laundry all over our bedroom floor and spend a whole weekend washing and folding/hanging. it was torture!
I've been doing the flylady system for awhile now and she always talks about the "do it now" principle. I just keep telling myself, just go ahead and do it now then you won't have to do it later!
We actually employ almost the exact same hanging/drawer system that you do. The biggest change I've made lately is that I don't start anothter load of laundry until the first one is completely dry and put away. At first I thought it was being inefficient, but it's actually saving time because I don't have to iron all the wrinkled clothes that just keep sitting in the dryer/basket forever.
Also I try to do one load of laundry everyday, even if it's just a small load. That way I keep on top of it and never have another weekend laundry marathon.

Heather Micaela
01-14-2010, 08:39 PM
Wash by person (or room) rather than color except for stuff you KNOW will bleed. Then put that room's stuff away right away

Elora
01-14-2010, 08:42 PM
Wash by person (or room) rather than color except for stuff you KNOW will bleed. Then put that room's stuff away right away this is what we do

we wash by room, and i fold the clothes and put them into the dressers directly (as opposed to folding and putting into a basket)

if i put them in the basket, the basket is where they stay most the time :shifty

Heather Micaela
01-14-2010, 11:29 PM
this is what we do

we wash by room, and i fold the clothes and put them into the dressers directly (as opposed to folding and putting into a basket)

if i put them in the basket, the basket is where they stay most the time :shifty
this we do as well.

Also the kids have to put their own clothes away after they turn 5 and put the little sibling's clothes away