PDA

View Full Version : Buy less in 2010 challenge

CakeLady
01-14-2010, 12:45 PM
...at least it will be for me.

I was standing in my kitchen this morning admiring my new floor in the living room. The kitchen was clean, the dining area clean, the living room was clean and I felt a sense of peace wash over me. And then I remembered the rest of the house...the papers that need filing, the clothes for the kids that are out of season and still need to be put away, the master bathroom that is always the last thing to be cleaned. URGH!

Over the past few weeks, God has been laying the need to buy/consume less stuff. This month I am on a no grocery shopping challenge in order to eat what I already have (with the exception of fresh produce and a little dairy). So far it has been really nice.

As I sit in my office and wonder why it's so hard to keep up with cleaning and putting things away, I realized we simply have too much.

Last year, I vowed to stop buying things (stockpiling) just because it was an awesome price. (Sale or no sale I no longer stockpile gifts, bbq sauce, clothes 2yrs ahead, etc). That has been a hard habit to break, but I think I've got it under control.

So this year, my goal is to stop the mindless spending at places like Costco, Walmart, Target, Amazon, etc. And as I spend less, I plan to weed out of my house all the items that we no longer need/use...no matter what!

We have been blessed with a nice income and sometimes it feels like it is wasted away on mindless things. There are lots of things that I can think of that I'd like to do with the money we save during our adventure this year.

Anyone want to join me?

prov31craftymom
01-14-2010, 01:07 PM
I'll join you! It sounds like fun. (probably not very easy though!)

Soliloquy
01-14-2010, 01:10 PM
Yes!! We started doing this awhile ago but we do get off track. This Christmas we got the kids too much. And we have 2 babies so we can't get rid of ALL the baby toys to make more room. Dh really wants a Wii and we talked and I reminded him of how we want less and he agrees it's not a good time to get it.

I avoid Target at all costs. If I truly need something from there, I make a list and try to have my dh go or at least go with me--he's better at sticking to the list. We stopped renewing our costco years ago because I just don't think we saved money. The impulse buys more than ate up any savings. Menu planning has been HUGE. I even paid $16 for 4 months worth of menu plans because I know that I will save 4x (or more) that much by buying only what we need and not having impulse restaurant bills because I don't know what to make for dinner.

Dh and I really want to save more money not only because we pray to move soon but because we feel led to give more away. :heart
Posted via Mobile Device

allisonintx
01-14-2010, 01:11 PM
We're here this year, as well!

mamaKristin
01-14-2010, 01:14 PM
Me!Me!Me!

We're cash only around here, and I'm trying to keep our spending to a minimum :) In fact, today I'm trying to organize our front hall closet to make school stuff easier to deal with, and I'm trying out different combinations of things we already have around the house instead of buying some new organization things.

klpmommy
01-14-2010, 01:16 PM
I'm really trying, dh isn't on board as much.

allisonintx
01-14-2010, 01:20 PM
Dh won't be on board. He doesn't shop much, though, and when he does, it's BIG things.

WildOlive
01-14-2010, 01:33 PM
YES. The amount of stuff in our house makes me :sick. I cannot keep up with it all, and I'm pretty sure I have ADD, which doesn't help things any.
I have a problem with keeping things because I think the kids might use it someday and it is a big ticket item that would not be easily or cheaply replaced if I got rid of it then changed my mind. The duplos, the play kitchen, etc...

I have already started in my craft room, giving away fabric and yarn to people online. Also, all the tights with holes, old jeans, old wool clothes, etc. I've been saving for a someday recycled project have begun going in the trash as I come across them.

mamaKristin
01-14-2010, 01:40 PM
I'm the buyer in our home :blush

Working on decluttering, and when there is free space, enjoying as free space, not an opportunity to refill it.

mommylove
01-14-2010, 02:03 PM
I'm the buyer in our home :blush

LOL -- I read this really fast & saw, "I'm buying a bigger home." :no No, no, no, that's not going to work. LOL. :giggle

Drew
01-14-2010, 02:11 PM
I would love to in theory but the fact that I'm desperately looking forward to my new lamp (currently backordered) from Crate and Barrel I don't think I'd stick to it. :shifty

RiverRock
01-14-2010, 02:14 PM
Lydiasmomma, I could have written your post. :-/ I have boxes of old jeans that I think I will someday make into picnic blankets and bless the world! ...or at least a few other people in it. However, we just bought a large picnic blanket when on vacation in Mexico. :blush Those jeans could potentially be stockpiled for yet another decade...yes, DECADE! :blush

Another area I want to focus on is just shopping less in general, and making the most of a trip by making a list of stores that can be visited in one car drive, thereby saving on gas and time.

klpmommy
01-14-2010, 02:16 PM
I am avoiding Target as much as possible, trying to go only a couple of times a month rather than several times a week. :blush Cash budgeting/envelope system in place to help with that.

Drew
01-14-2010, 02:19 PM
I am avoiding Target as much as possible, trying to go only a couple of times a month rather than several times a week. :blush Cash budgeting/envelope system in place to help with that.

As far as I'm aware it's not possible to go to Target less than 3 times a week. :bag

WildOlive
01-14-2010, 02:26 PM
Lydiasmomma, I could have written your post. :-/ I have boxes of old jeans that I think I will someday make into picnic blankets and bless the world! ...or at least a few other people in it. However, we just bought a large picnic blanket when on vacation in Mexico. :blush Those jeans could potentially be stockpiled for yet another decade...yes, DECADE! :blush

ITU. Also, do you have people who know you are crafty, so they give you their old stuff? I'm resolving to just say NO to the 3 garbage bags of old jeans next time. :-/

prov31craftymom
01-14-2010, 02:28 PM
ITU. Also, do you have people who know you are crafty, so they give you their old stuff? I'm resolving to just say NO to the 3 garbage bags of old jeans next time. :-/

That's my problem! I just can't say no! I hate to see things thrown away, so I'll it, and then wind up not even using it. :doh

Proverbs31
01-14-2010, 02:44 PM
:raise

:bag I'm supposed to be spending less this month. But Target had our TP and paper towels in their new temporary warehouse-style section, at a really good price... :bag

CakeLady
01-14-2010, 02:46 PM
My goal is to only go to Target, Walmart and Costco once a month each. But I'll spread them out so that I still get out of the house once a week and to use a shopping list.

I usually try to remember everything and then forget, so I wonder the aisles (putting things in my cart) until I remember. :bag

klpmommy
01-14-2010, 02:49 PM
As far as I'm aware it's not possible to go to Target less than 3 times a week. :bag

I *think* it is possible. Maybe. :think It doesn't help that Target is the closest store. And S does not get excited every time we drive by or ask to go to Target every time we put on shoes. No, not MY child. :shifty

cheri
01-14-2010, 02:56 PM
So how do you do this with a dh who isn't on board? I've been trying to cut way back for a while now, and it's so hard when my dh buys just about everything he wants. and it's lots of smaller things that add up, like movies, fast food, books, beef jerky (seriously, SO nasty, but he'll buy a $10 pack of beef jerky and it makes me so angry!)

i don't think it's possible.

klpmommy
01-14-2010, 02:57 PM
I'm working on changing *me* and my habits. I have talked to him, and in theory he agrees, but the reality is that I can only change me. So my part will be less. But I tend to be the one who buys piddly stuff & he buys big expensive things.

mamaKristin
01-14-2010, 03:04 PM
For us, spending went way down when we went to a cash only system. It also saves us a lot of money, not just pulling out our debit or credit cards whenever we want to buy something.

---------- Post added at 04:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:04 PM ----------

oh, and I *never* go to Target.

Probably because the closest one is 2 days drive away :duck

CakeLady
01-14-2010, 03:19 PM
:yes cash only system and a zero based budget. I do the budget, pay the bills, and do most of the shopping. I do give each of us blow money.

HomeyT
01-14-2010, 03:49 PM
oh i truly need support in this. i've been doing this for sometime now, but often buy something on impulse. one of my things is just to not go to places like walmart, zellers (here in canada)...and trying not to buy packaged goods in the grocery store.

jrsmama
01-14-2010, 04:13 PM
Me, too.

I started buying groceries only at our local store and even tho it's more expensive, I'm actually saving a lot of money by avoiding going to Walmart after church or work (we live 30 min from town).

Also, last year, I started following Fly Lady and she's big on decluttering. So I actually threw away the old jeans I'd be hoarding for the "quilt" I'd make with them. The other day, I also tossed old sheets I kept to make crocheted rag rugs and even *:jawdrop* crocheted projects that were halfway done but years old. In the garbage!

Our house is small, so the extra clutter is just way too much. But I'm very sentimental. Sentimental + small house = :crazy2

amyhntr2
01-14-2010, 06:15 PM

I *think* it is possible. Maybe. :think

Dh works at Target making it a little more difficult! I'm proud of myself though. I have barely gotten anything there since he started in July.

Also, last year, I started following Fly Lady
Me too! I love Fly Lady! I am also sentimental and still have every single school notebook from fifth grade on! As soon as I declutter enough to get to those boxes I fear I will have to get rid of them. It will be hard!

I also want to go to a cash only system. I think that would help us soooo much!

allisonintx
01-14-2010, 06:17 PM
well, I did actually buy something today :bag however, it is something I've been looking for since we moved into this house when Evelyn was two...so, for six years.

I got a mirror to put in the niche in the front of my house.

It's weird. Someone thought it would be a great idea to put these "statuary niches" in the houses in our neighborhood. They're areas that would work well if there were shelves built into them, but they are weird shapes, so, no shelves.

klpmommy
01-14-2010, 07:11 PM
I know exactly which niche you're talking about. Decorative, but rather useless. I can't wait to see it tomorrow. :)

Naxi
01-15-2010, 03:53 AM
I really want to try this, too. My goal is to make our house big again. It used to be big. Now it is full. And it keeps getting more added to it.

Also, so much money seems to fritter away.

I am starting by keeping a spreadsheet of every cent that I spend this month and working out what it all goes on. DH is doing his own thing - I figure I just need to be responsible for my actions.

abh5e8
01-15-2010, 07:26 AM
i'm on board! actually, i have been thinking of trying to compact this year. my exceptions being things from etsy...grin. and photos. otherwise...buy everything used. (again, i make an exception for underwear and shoes for the kids). but...i love ebay, the consignment stores and goodwill so i need just shop less. i'll be back later...

ETA: ok...so we went to the outlet mall today. :giggle it was not pretty. BUT, i was able to pull out a laundry basket of clothes from my closet and dresser for good will...things i have not worn in ages. AND, the things i found at the outlet we really needed (think undies and undershirts) so i still think it is a win-win.

how do you handle days like this? things we need (or will need this spring)...prices i know i wont' be able to beat later on...but still came home with a couple big bags of "stuff"

CapeTownMommy
01-15-2010, 08:40 AM
I'd like to try this too. I'm busy decluttering atm and hopefully the cleaner house will help me!

anna
01-15-2010, 09:02 AM
i'm in a bit of a purge phase at the moment - i'm getting rid of a lot of stuff that i know i'm never going to use. i want to have less stuff which means a combination of getting rid of stuff and *not getting more!* you'd think that would be easy, but i seem to have a *problem* somewhere (i'm not too bad - just not as good as i want to be, you know?)

the picnic blanket from old jeans though? oh my! i'm totally doing that! (and i will! i will! i will!)

Aurian
01-16-2010, 03:16 AM
I'll support you and commit to this.

My husband and I are pretty good when it comes to celebrations like Christmas (our son only got 2 toys from us for Christmas) and we didn't get anyone else presents except my husbands Godson. Normally we buy people the cards that get them a goat or something (and the money is donated to charity).

However, even though we don't have any credit cards we have a LOT of stuff in our house, and I spend too much money on waste items, eg magazines, coffee, chocolate, books - impulse buys!

I'm a bit of a greenie and so am motivated from that perspective to buy less stuff as well. We had a garage sale last year and made a decent amount of money and it was mostly just the junk from one room, so I know that we have way too much. We are so lucky to live in Australia and to have the quality of life that we do so I know that God would want me to be a better steward of my time, money and talents (rather than cleaning and maintaining rooms of stuff:)

I enjoy shopping at op shops, and this is where I pick up most of the new toys for my son, and we do gardening together etc. I have to focus on these things as being enjoyable, rather than the feeling that I can't be happy, or that I am 'missing out' if I don't have something. To be honest, I am pretty fed up with global corporations and western consumption, including being disgusted at myself sometimes, so I really want to work on this.

To make it measurable - I agree to only buy 1 book a month at the most this year! (that is a big thing for me:) I will do my best to find the books I want to read at the library.

It would be great to start a new thread in a month or so to see how everyone is going. And I really want to donate to Haiti - nearly 200,000 people have died! That is so, so sad. I always think of the remaining children. Be with them all Lord!

We can make a difference, Wendy:D

mummy2boys
01-16-2010, 03:40 AM
Okay I am in. :)

Can Dance
01-16-2010, 04:53 AM
I really want to do this. we moved in Sept of 2008 and when we left our last house we left a ton of stuff behind. a ton. it was actually super nice to go through it. what is good about my current circumstance is that I have no garage, and 3 closets in the whole house for storage (which for here is a lot!). I have a huge desire to do a mega purge this spring because I have something I can donate all the stuff to to just get rid of it. like toys. ohmygoodness the toys are RIDICULOUS! the kids only got 3 toys each from us, but that still means it was an additional 9 toys between all of them! at least they didn't get plastic junk though...
anyway. I have Costco here too and the whole impulse purchase thing is hard to avoid...last time I had a list and still spent like $250 bucks my last trip! sigh...
so I'm in...

RiverRock
01-16-2010, 12:20 PM
This thread has been on my mind, so although I have shopped in the last 2 days, I made fewer purchases than I could have. For nearly 9 years I've had an undecorated front entry, so I finally bought a sidetable and some decor to make it look nice. I realized as I was shopping that I have a nice vase to repurpose instead of buying a new one, and that instead of buying fancy twigs, I can cut some off of my curly willow tree. :tu I was shopping at Ikea, and went with a list and left with only those items I had decided beforehand to buy! With fewer items I was even able to fly through the 15 items or less line! I also spent only 1 hr. in the store, and came home to have 45 min. of rest before my kids came home from school. :)

Aurian
01-17-2010, 01:35 AM
That's great Jessica - I'm a Jessica too;)

Your inspiration to use the willow tree has inspired me too, and reminds me that we have lots of stuff that we can repurpose to decorate with, especially in regards to using nature to decorate. Instead of buying flowers I could pick some branches, foliage and wildflowers.

Something I learnt over the years is that if something is too dodgy to use inside, it might be able to be used in the garden. Old mirrors can be hung on the outside of your house etc. Some old kitchen stuff I give to my son to use in his sandpit. This helps me not to buy items especially for this purpose.

Have a great day - still reading the books I've got so far (though I did borrow another 3 from the library yesterday - phew!)

Jess

Peaceful Meadows
01-17-2010, 06:41 AM
I'm in!

---------- Post added at 08:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:37 AM ----------

YES. The amount of stuff in our house makes me :sick. I cannot keep up with it all, and I'm pretty sure I have ADD, which doesn't help things any.
I have a problem with keeping things because I think the kids might use it someday and it is a big ticket item that would not be easily or cheaply replaced if I got rid of it then changed my mind. The duplos, the play kitchen, etc...

I have already started in my craft room, giving away fabric and yarn to people online. Also, all the tights with holes, old jeans, old wool clothes, etc. I've been saving for a someday recycled project have begun going in the trash as I come across them.

This is me. :sigh Our house isn't very big either and I don't even have a room that I can use as a craft room. I need to do a major decluttering and take everything to our MCC Thrift Store. (The money they make on it goes to countries that really could use it so I am helping others out with my decluttering. It helps me to know that the money from my things will go to help others less fortunate than I. :heart)

aleigh
01-17-2010, 08:35 AM
We're trying to do this as well. It's so, so easy for me to walk through Target (especially right now when the seasonal merch comes out- fresh new colors, etc!) & convince myself that an item I don't really need will somehow benefit me.

I've been slowly de-cluttering- room by room, drawer by drawer.

And, I never stock-piled much, but any that I did has stopped. I think I spent more $$ stock-piling things that were on sale than just buying things when I really needed them.

JenLovie
01-17-2010, 08:58 AM
Getting ready to move has been a huge motivator for me. We are selling and donating things like crazy so we don't have to move them. Once we get settled in Texas I will need to work on buying less and repurposing what we already have.
With my sewing and knitting stuff I am doing my best to use what I already have (or donate it) unless it is for a specific gift. I do think I will allow for an exception during our move if we go by Hancock's of Paducah. I may buy a bit of fabric there.

mattattsmama
01-17-2010, 10:48 AM
Oh, I am on this like flies on stink.

We usually do a cash system (which I give at least 75% credit for improving the happy factor in our marriage), but we had an unusual Dec. and I went back to swiping the debit card. Danger. Much danger. :doh

So for me, my goals are to go back to the cash only system. I also saved a TON of money the month I did 30 day meal planning and even prepped several of the meals early and froze them. Totally cut back on the last minute drive thru issue. So I am going to do monthly meal planning with one big trip and then a few grocery stops during the month for dairy and produce.

DH and I also budget in "fun money" for each other and I would like to discipline myself that just because I have money I can blow, I don't actually NEED to spend it. :) I am notorious for saying to myself, "Well, you've got fun money. Why not go out for lunch?" etc. etc.

We are also hoping to adopt this year :heart, so I want to gather our extra "stuff" (oh, and we have extra stuff, let me tell you!) and do a large garage sale this spring to help raise some money for that.

This thread is just the kick in the pants I needed to put this down in writing. (Now feel free to hold me accountable!)

movinforward
01-18-2010, 09:14 AM
I am in....I have posted on my fridge:
In 2010:
- NO Target
- NO clothes for boys (only necessaties - like shoes or underware)
- Cash only system

So far, so good. I will not be stockpiling either. If it is a good deal - so what! It will be a better deal to NOT spend the money.

CakeLady
01-18-2010, 10:53 AM
How was your first weekend at it ladies? We did really well (not perfect, but not too bad). We stuck to our list at Costco. YEAH!

I made my first meal plan using only things that I have in the house. It is creative, but looks yummy! :rockon

Oh...and I've got a list of things on Freecycle right now!

erinee
01-18-2010, 11:14 AM
Dh & I just talked about this last night. We both want to really save this year. We have some work to do on our house. As soon as our college student moves on, we want to get it ready to sell, because we both feel strongly that we want a home that is conducive to opening up to anyone God leads our way -- a single mom, a woman in a crisis pregnancy, a family who has lost their home for whatever reason. a foster child (dh isn't as open to the latter, but God has worked on his heart with opening our home at all, so I'm praying he will continue to do so), etc. We want something that has a space with it's own bathroom and entrance to make it a little more private for a family or adult.

So yes, we are buying less this year, and we are both very much on board with this. Having some support will be great! :rockon

WildOlive
01-18-2010, 03:29 PM
I have been shopping twice in the past 4 days, and only bought things on my list :rockon
It was REALLY hard in the clearance aisle at walmart, too.

I've also made progress cleaning out all the stuff we didn't use from our junk drawers in the kitchen. I actually have one whole drawer that is empty! And the others are all neatly organized, and not crammed full. The garbage bag was REALLY heavy after that.

Today I cleaned out my laundry closet. It is such a relief to open the doors and not be confronted with a mountain of stuff. It feels really good. :yes Another stuffed, heavy garbage bag gone! And more stuff added to the thrift store box.

HomeyT
01-18-2010, 03:49 PM
went grocery shopping today, only bought things on the list, well i splurged on orange juice, but it was a good deal, and not on the list simply because i was trying to keep the bill down.

so DH and i were talking about what would be better, buy supplies for 4 days at a time? or buy for 8 days at a time? (we work in blocks of 4 since by DH is a shift worker, also couldn't go more than 8 days because we are vegetarians and eat lots of veggies).

glad to see others are doing well :) or trying!

Lady TS
01-18-2010, 03:53 PM
Me, too.

I started buying groceries only at our local store and even tho it's more expensive, I'm actually saving a lot of money by avoiding going to Walmart after church or work (we live 30 min from town).

Also, last year, I started following Fly Lady and she's big on decluttering. So I actually threw away the old jeans I'd be hoarding for the "quilt" I'd make with them. The other day, I also tossed old sheets I kept to make crocheted rag rugs and even *:jawdrop* crocheted projects that were halfway done but years old. In the garbage!

Our house is small, so the extra clutter is just way too much. But I'm very sentimental. Sentimental + small house = :crazy2

I need to do all of the above. Walmart Supercenter and other comparable groceries are 30 mins away here, too. Local grocery is more expensive but costs more and doesn't have all that I want. Luckily there is a health food store locally too(but I have to be careful what I put in my cart there:shifty).

I have a bunch of crafty stuff(jeans here too, crochet stuff...old kids clothes I wanted to make into a quilt or wall hanging or something...)and never get around to doing it. I think I just keep it around because I want to be like my crafty mommy. :shifty

prov31craftymom
01-18-2010, 04:46 PM
We haven't started yet. ALL of our money goes to bills right now, so there is nothing left over to just spend. It will all start in April when we start to have extra money. Then I will need to not go crazy and spend it, just b/c I have it.

CakeLady
01-19-2010, 10:19 AM
so DH and i were talking about what would be better, buy supplies for 4 days at a time? or buy for 8 days at a time? (we work in blocks of 4 since by DH is a shift worker, also couldn't go more than 8 days because we are vegetarians and eat lots of veggies).

I read a book recently that suggested only grocery shopping once a month to keep costs down (less time in the market = less money spent on impulse items). And then going for fresh produce after 2 weeks.

I'm going to give it a shot. Although, we get all our produce from a co-op which is every other week...so in theory I could only go once a month (if I can figure out how much dairy to get on the first trip).

abh5e8
01-19-2010, 10:41 AM
wow...how does fresh food last a month? we go at least once a week...but we go thru bananas and spinach like water. even for dairy...how does that last a month? i woudl LOVE to cut down on my grocery trips...hoping for some tips :)

CakeLady
01-19-2010, 01:05 PM
The book talked about how they have to use certain produce items faster than others ( some will last a month).

I use Debbie Meyers green bags and I can keep most things at least one month and some will last 6 weeks or so. :rockon They are awesome!!!!

As for dairy...cheese lasts a long time. You can freeze milk. I think most dairy will last a month from when I buy it. Buy 2 sour creams, cottage cheeses, etc....as long as the seal isn't broken the second one should get you through to the end of the month.

WildOlive
01-19-2010, 02:12 PM
The book talked about how they have to use certain produce items faster than others ( some will last a month).

I use Debbie Meyers green bags and I can keep most things at least one month and some will last 6 weeks or so. :rockon They are awesome!!!!

As for dairy...cheese lasts a long time. You can freeze milk. I think most dairy will last a month from when I buy it. Buy 2 sour creams, cottage cheeses, etc....as long as the seal isn't broken the second one should get you through to the end of the month.

Yes, I shop once a month too. The grocery store is 25 miles away, and we are just so busy, and I hate taking my kids along. Plus it saves me from impulse shopping. Dairy has quite a long shelf life. I do buy my milk at the local convenience store though, because I can get it for $1.99 a gallon, so I buy that more often than once a month. We plan to eat our fresh veggies the first 2 weeks, and the last 2 we eat frozen veggies, or sometimes I do make a quick run in for only salad stuff.

I haven't kept an official record, but I would say shopping once a month saves me at least $100. For someone who sticks strictly to a list, it probably wouldn't matter, but I am the queen of impulse buys.

HomeyT
01-19-2010, 04:55 PM
i'm having a hard time planning meals a week in advance :) but i think i'll try and stretch going grocery shopping every 8 days. thanks for the tips.

abh5e8
01-19-2010, 11:11 PM
i think it is interesting that this is a "buy less" thread...and not a "spend less". i def need the first. :giggle i am great at staying on the budget...and getting awesome deals on stuff...my problem is, we don't need any more stuff. our house is small, so i spend WAY too much time shopping and then sending things off to goodwill. its a process...but i am working on it.

HomeyT
01-20-2010, 05:57 AM
Yes I suppose they are different issues...spending/buying.

For us they do go hand in hand when grocery shopping, mainly because I find that it's an easy place to pick up those 'extras' that your body, and the landfill simply don't need. we are also really tightening up the spending until spring, so for us now, buying less = spending less as a necessity.

It's a delicate balance. Take my mom for example (since this example we've had to have this discussion and it's all good now) she thinks it's about spending less, and so will buy my girls all sorts of things at 'great deals!' but they are things we don't need. just because it's on sale doesn't make it a deal unless you need it. Also, i find when we have such a disposable society, we tend to buy more for less, but really we are spending more and have more in our homes, and more in the garbage. my husband and i are very intentional only to buy quality so that it lasts a long time! and we think long about whether we need that item or not, can we do without, use something else in it's place? we still have many items we bought when we first married because of this mind thinking.

however, with kids, this is a whole lot harder. things are expensive, with 2 kids now we have to buy 2 of everything, and people give us lots of stuff....also they go through clothing fast! and fighting the culture in which we live to give them all this stuff they 'NEED' (which they really don't) but it's available and we want to give our kids the best. right. sigh. my family thinks my girls are deprived because we don't like battery powered or plastic toys. they say it's so limiting now what they can buy for them. so i tell them not to purchase anything...but they don't agree with that. i actually convinced 2 grandparents to give money for christmas for homeschool books, so that was a step in the right direction. but really i don't have a toy list for my kids. infact, i continually go through the house and collect toys to give away. they now i go and blur the lines between spending/buying less :)

we want to try and purchase more organic/fair trade clothing...which means spending more but buying less. this is hard for us at the moment with such a fixed income.

What are your thoughts about spending/buying less??

CakeLady
01-20-2010, 01:25 PM
I'm a great sale shopper, couponer, use coupon codes...I'm always on the hunt to spend less.....but now I need to focus on buying less. Just because it's on sale or I have a coupon does not mean that I need it.

mamaKristin
01-21-2010, 05:21 PM
Costco does me in on the impulse buys - "hey, what a great price!"...even though we don't need it.

Aurian
01-24-2010, 04:48 AM
An update on my commitment to buy only one book a month:

Purchased January's book, "Introduction to Permaculture" on ebay. So no new resources were used either. So that's my book for January.

I gave away two boxes of Christian books to our church library this week too, so have gotten rid of some things.

This book is for the Permaculture Design Certificate course that I am hoping to do in April - hopefully this course will give me the skills to be more self-sufficient and less dependent on stuff as well!

Other than that, we have still been buying a lot of food - and bought some shoes for toddler that I don't really want now...!

Love making the commitment with everybody:lol

HomeyT
01-24-2010, 06:00 AM
we haven't purchased anything this weekend (although i do plan to pick up a book at church this morning for my book club...sigh) but the biggest help has seriously been not going to places that sell things!!! i can't believe how much easier it is to save money/not purchase when you go places that don't cost money or have things for sale. and it's not easy. i heard about a HUGE sale this weekend...it's taking lots of will power not to attend :) but if i do, i'm sure to find something to buy.

JenLovie
01-24-2010, 09:33 AM
We haven't bought anything besides food in a while. We have, since we're getting ready to move, sold lots of things and returned unused items to the stores from which they were purchased. DH is currently working in the garage to organize our final load to take to the local consignment auction tomorrow. I've taken clothes to a consignment store and will take what they didn't want to another this week. We still have a lot of junk, but at least we're not buying more.

abh5e8
01-24-2010, 01:15 PM
we haven't purchased anything this weekend (although i do plan to pick up a book at church this morning for my book club...sigh) but the biggest help has seriously been not going to places that sell things!!! i can't believe how much easier it is to save money/not purchase when you go places that don't cost money or have things for sale. and it's not easy. i heard about a HUGE sale this weekend...it's taking lots of will power not to attend :) but if i do, i'm sure to find something to buy.

yup...you got it! now how to stay out of those places...:scratch

We haven't bought anything besides food in a while. We have, since we're getting ready to move, sold lots of things and returned unused items to the stores from which they were purchased. DH is currently working in the garage to organize our final load to take to the local consignment auction tomorrow. I've taken clothes to a consignment store and will take what they didn't want to another this week. We still have a lot of junk, but at least we're not buying more.

awesome...i love getting rid of stuff!! doesn't it feel great. i have a mountain of stuff to list on ebay...

An update on my commitment to buy only one book a month:

Purchased January's book, "Introduction to Permaculture" on ebay. So no new resources were used either. So that's my book for January.

I gave away two boxes of Christian books to our church library this week too, so have gotten rid of some things.

This book is for the Permaculture Design Certificate course that I am hoping to do in April - hopefully this course will give me the skills to be more self-sufficient and less dependent on stuff as well!

Other than that, we have still been buying a lot of food - and bought some shoes for toddler that I don't really want now...!

Love making the commitment with everybody:lol

can you take the shoes back? i am the "queen of returns" as my mother would say.

CakeLady
01-24-2010, 02:18 PM
Y'all are doing awesome!!!

I went to Target yesterday because I knew they were having their toy clearance sale...and I need a couple things for playing in the snow (I live in AZ so we don't get much snow, but we got some up North and we want to go play), AND DH kicked us out of the house so he could get some work done.

So, for the record....I did not buy any toys. YEAH!!! I only got ds a jacket and shoes and I got dd some boots. The only other thing I got was a coke on my way out.

I am super proud of myself cuz there were some neat toys on clearance. But I thought about how much stuff the kids already have and that I'm trying to save money, so I didn't buy any.

amyhntr2
01-24-2010, 08:24 PM
Last night I had a totally pathetic dream. I dreamt that I went to Target. I looked at things throughout the whole store. I would pick them up and think about how much I would like to buy them then set them back on the shelf. In the end I wouldn't let myself buy anything because I knew it wasn't in the budget :giggle
So nothing cool or bizarre happening. Just walking around Target controlling my impulses lol

KLin
01-25-2010, 11:39 AM
You do not need to buy toys for your little man...just come and get the toys I am willing to give you that my boys have outgrown. :yes

This will save you money and help me de-clutter. :rockon

Lady TS
01-26-2010, 10:30 AM
I just got finished writing down our purchases this month. So far the only non-needed/frivolous expense was the 3 sleds I got for the kids(amounted to a little over $15) and one of them broke the first time it was used. :-/

Well, I guess dh did buy a couple dollar's worth of snacks(his weakness). Guess that's ok since I did get some face cream(could've kept using olive oil or coconut oil but my skin needed something more and was showing it). Personal care products are my weakness. :shifty

mudcuddles
01-26-2010, 02:53 PM
I wanted to stop in and say thanks to those of you participating in this challenge. I spent 30 minutes in my girls' rooms getting rid of things - some to trash, some to donate. I've had a tendency to hold onto things for "someday". Not the best use of our time and space.

I love the idea of buying less, but buying quality. Having said that, our washing machine is trying to give up on me. Maytag man, where are you?

I sat down yesterday and inventoried the refrigerator, freezer, and pantry. Almost a week's worth of meals without going to the grocery store.

My goal is to tackle the boxes of clothes next. We need a few color-specific shirts for layering but I'm thinking if I organize the clothes boxes, I can probably find some here at home!

abh5e8
01-26-2010, 03:21 PM
I just got finished writing down our purchases this month. So far the only non-needed/frivolous expense was the 3 sleds I got for the kids(amounted to a little over $15) and one of them broke the first time it was used. :-/

Well, I guess dh did buy a couple dollar's worth of snacks(his weakness). Guess that's ok since I did get some face cream(could've kept using olive oil or coconut oil but my skin needed something more and was showing it). Personal care products are my weakness. :shifty

hmm...i like the idea of writing down the purchases...sort of as motivation. which i could use some of :bag

today i bought 2 picture frames...they were on clearance and i did NEED glass for the 2 frames hanging on my walls and this was cheaper than just buying class...if that makes sense. i already bagged up the extra frames to take to goodwill. i also bought pinecones and fishing line for dc to make more birdfeeders. we used all the ones we found outside. :think so does that count?

i ordered some pantry items and new sippy tops for ds's KK. (the old one was boardering on gross) and a doll for dd's birthday that her greatgrandma sent $$ for.

clothes are hard...i have found a couple of awesome sales but limited myself to just buying replacements for things we need to replace. (undies and such). i filled 2 bags for consignment from each room (mine/dh's and the kids) so i think that was a good trade. oh...and i was able to buy dd's birthday gift from us with $$ from taking stuff to the kids consignment store. :rockon

so i am really asking for advice here...would you count those as needs or necessities...or at least reasonable purchases? i have a hard time deciding.

---------- Post added at 04:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:17 PM ----------

I wanted to stop in and say thanks to those of you participating in this challenge.

:yes:yes

me too! the thread is very encouraging and motivating...keep it up mamas!!

Aurian
01-26-2010, 06:09 PM
I bought stuff today...but it comes under the category of spend less:)

I went to the op shop and picked up an educational game for my nephew's birthday on the weekend, which was 50c! I repackaged it in a tupperware lunch box (the box is worth more than the game:)

And an impulse buy was a bag of pretend tools for my son, as he always wants to be involved when hubby is fixing something - these were $2.

And the plate that DS smashed in the shop was 50c, so all up we spent $3:lol

Lady TS
01-26-2010, 07:06 PM
hmm...i like the idea of writing down the purchases...sort of as motivation. which i could use some of :bag

today i bought 2 picture frames...they were on clearance and i did NEED glass for the 2 frames hanging on my walls and this was cheaper than just buying class...if that makes sense. i already bagged up the extra frames to take to goodwill. i also bought pinecones and fishing line for dc to make more birdfeeders. we used all the ones we found outside. :think so does that count?

i ordered some pantry items and new sippy tops for ds's KK. (the old one was boardering on gross) and a doll for dd's birthday that her greatgrandma sent $$ for.

clothes are hard...i have found a couple of awesome sales but limited myself to just buying replacements for things we need to replace. (undies and such). i filled 2 bags for consignment from each room (mine/dh's and the kids) so i think that was a good trade. oh...and i was able to buy dd's birthday gift from us with $$ from taking stuff to the kids consignment store. :rockon

so i am really asking for advice here...would you count those as needs or necessities...or at least reasonable purchases? i have a hard time deciding.

---------- Post added at 04:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:17 PM ----------

:yes:yes

me too! the thread is very encouraging and motivating...keep it up mamas!!

My personal thoughts re: your spending (your mileage totally may vary ;))

The frames--depending on price I think I'd have gotten them.
The fishing line--did you happen to have yarn or thread around the house you could have used?

Pantry items...depends if I could have lived w/o it. ;)

The KK sippy tops--if the ones you had were worn out/gross I probably would have gotten them...unless I could have somehow cleaned them out to make them last longer.

I wouldn't count the doll because that was essentially paid for by someone else(great grandma). :)

Getting money by consigning clothes and using that to pay for the gift--Right On, Mama! :thumbs

I think it all depends on how close your finances are and how MUCH each item is "needed" or NEEDED, kwim? :)

CakeLady
01-27-2010, 05:09 PM
There aren't any rules to this challenge. You know your situation, needs, financial situation...so you decide how to work this challenge!

I've been having fun this month using up my food in the freezer...it's almost ready to be defrosted!

Joyful Mommy
01-27-2010, 06:07 PM
We are trying to cut down a lot this year, too.

My friend is doing an experiment and not buying anything non-essential this year. This is her blog about it: http://ayearofnofrills.blogspot.com/