PDA

View Full Version : Why does my washer leak all over the floor?

mommylove
01-13-2010, 04:51 PM
Thankfully my washer & dryer are in the garage. My washer leaks on to the floor frequently. In all, probably half the time. I don't overload it, so that's not the problem. So what is?

I'm thinking it's dying a slow death, but if it's a cheap fix, it's probably worth it. :shrug3 It's a 1970's Kenmore. I bought the washer & dryer set from my roommate for $80 13 years ago. :giggle I've probably gotten my money's worth out of it.

Aerynne
01-13-2010, 04:53 PM
With our washer, the holes from the fabric softener cup were clogged with residue from fabric softener (which we never use- must have been from the previous owners) so it would overflow the cup with water and leak all over the floor and dh drilled the holes bigger and we haven't had a problem since.

Kiara.I
01-13-2010, 08:24 PM
With our washer, the tethers were broken so when it agitated the plastic drum moved more than it should and then water sloshed up into the overflow tube and onto the floor.

Our washer, you take the front off and then you take the top off. The metal drum sits inside a huge plastic bucket. That plastic bucket should have four tethers attaching the top of the bucket to the corners of the machine.

If that's it, it's a really cheap fix. You can get the tethers and put them in yourself.

Can you find a manual for your machine online?

Quiteria
01-13-2010, 10:06 PM
In ours, one of the tethers was rubbing against the drain hose every time it spun, and that eventually rubbed a hole in it. So, everytime it drained, water sprayed out the hole in the hose, between the drum and the outer wall of the machine. (and I guess that area of the machine has holes in the floor in case of something like that happening, because it was able to drain onto the floor)

the tubing is super cheap, and probably not that hard to attach

tazmom
01-14-2010, 12:09 AM
Our washer was leaking because the hose for the bleach dispenser was clogged. The washer would push water into the disp and instead of draining into the tub, it leaked onto the floor.