PDA

View Full Version : Anyone into Crocheting?

Mama2S
01-13-2010, 11:05 AM
Are they're any mothers who have picked up crocheting? What is some of your best work? What are you working on now?

I have just recently picked it up. So far I've made scarves, hats, and potholders.

Right now I am making fingerless mittens. :rockon

---------- Post added at 12:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:02 PM ----------

I just realized there is a forum area for this. I am sorry.

michelle
01-13-2010, 11:17 AM
I enjoy crocheting but I have not done much work since having children because I usually work on large afghan projects. I have made 3 afghans and a baby blanket. My smallest projects was a set of about 5 finger puppets for a Christmas present for my kids.

Reading your post has inspired me to look for some small projects I can do around my dc. Do you have any pictures?

rosesnsnails
01-13-2010, 11:20 AM
Oh yes! Come play with us over here!

http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=432

Mama2S
01-13-2010, 11:22 AM
I enjoy crocheting but I have not done much work since having children because I usually work on large afghan projects. I have made 3 afghans and a baby blanket. My smallest projects was a set of about 5 finger puppets for a Christmas present for my kids.

Reading your post has inspired me to look for some small projects I can do around my dc. Do you have any pictures?

I posted pictures in the thread over in the hobby and craft area :)

Hermana Linda
01-13-2010, 03:14 PM
I just realized there is a forum area for this. I am sorry.
Don't worry, I can move it for you. :heart

SilverMoon
01-13-2010, 03:22 PM
Hi! I've been crocheting since 7 or 8 years old, so that's 35 years. I put it down in my teens but picked it up in earnest when I had my kids. I crocheted a bunch of this year's Christmas gifts, and am currently working on a vest for my dad from Interweave Crochet, Fall 2009.

Mama2S
01-13-2010, 03:48 PM
Everyone got a crocheted gift from me as well, this Christmas.

TestifyToLove
01-15-2010, 05:15 PM
Love my crocheting. I've crocheted since I was 7.

Right now, I'm working on a ripple afghan, a pair of longies for baby J and a hat. I walk 1mi to and from my college campus and have decided its COLD to walk. So, I made a scarf yesterday and I'm making a matching hat to finish up before I have to walk again on Tuesday.

If I can figure out how to use my netbook to upload pictures, I'll start taking pictures and posting them again.

I wanted to make Harry Potter puppets for all the kids for Christmas but I just didn't have the time. I'm hoping I can get them accomplished in time for Easter baskets. But, for the most part, I'm back to focusing on a promise I made my kids several years ago. I promised I would make each of them a twin sized afghan for their very own. I got 3 done and got bogged down with the 4th. I added several more kids and now have even MORE to do. As soon as I finish the ripple afghan I am working on, I have a filet stitch afghan to make for my oldest dd and a rainbow stripes afghan for my second dd. I have to make an American Flag afghan for my oldest ds, a circular Spiderman themed afghan for M. When all of those are done, I'll stop and figure out what on earth to do for the toddlers, who have lots of baby afghans I made them but eventually will want/need a full sized afghan too.

But, the ripple afghan is MINE. Its supposed to be a Christmas afghan, but I made it King sized. So I've made the decision that it will sit on MY bed for 11 months out of the year...and come out with the Christmas stuff in the Advent season.

Buela
01-15-2010, 06:00 PM
I used to. I haven't done any since dd was born, or much at all since getting married actually. I'm not very good, but I liked it.

I have recently been inspired to try again after browsing in the craft thread . . . I found a beautiful hat pattern online and then went down in the basement to find my yarn stash only to remember that I sold it all at a yard sale 2 years ago.

bliss
01-16-2010, 10:40 PM
I'm a crochet maniac!! (See siggy link! :yes :D)

mama-hobbit
01-16-2010, 10:46 PM
I crochet all the time... even in church. :shifty

I make all kinds of stuff - afghans, hats, scarves, sweaters for the kids, washcloths, shawls.

jrsmama
01-16-2010, 10:57 PM
Crocheter here, too. I made lots of gifts for Christmas this year for my nieces and have been on a crochet binge for a couple of weeks. Right now, Im working on a variety of gifts for my best friend who's due in mid-Feb.

I branched out in my crochet a lot this year, making Barbie clothes, stuffed animals, etc.:rockon

Mama2S
01-16-2010, 11:00 PM
I'm a crochet maniac!! (See siggy link! :yes :D)

says I do not have permission to view :( maybe its cus I'm new?

bliss
01-16-2010, 11:22 PM
Aw stink! It's for buying my cool crocheted things - you need 125posts...go say lots of interesting things and try again!! :lol

Mama2S
01-16-2010, 11:26 PM
Oh cool, you can sell here? :D that excites me lol... I actually have a Order form for hats, cus I keep getting requests in left and right.

jrsmama
01-17-2010, 08:50 AM
I couldn't access it either :scratch

scrappyknits
01-18-2010, 08:40 PM
I crochet all the time... even in church. :shifty

I wish I could do that!

What kind of church is it? Do others in your congragation do the same, or are you the only one? Did you ask the pastor first? Do you have special "church projects"?

Quiteria
01-18-2010, 09:13 PM
You guys have inspired me...I just crocheted two and a half cotton washcloths this weekend. :rockon Once I figure out what I'm doing, I've got the yarn for a scarf..but I figure the washcloths can look like junk and still serve a purpose. :giggle

Mama2S
01-18-2010, 09:33 PM
I first learned to crochet a pot holder, then hats... Hats area easier then a potholder to me... Make sure its a thick potholder... Here is a photo of some that I made

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y112/Xx_Melissa_xX/Picture1650.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y112/Xx_Melissa_xX/Picture1668.jpg

Lady Grey
01-18-2010, 09:36 PM
I primarily crochet dishcloths lately, because I need something small and fairly mindless to do. I just use a very plain pattern I made up several years ago. They have been pretty popular as gifts.

In the past I have made a few afghans, soakers/longies and a few other misc projects but I just don't have the patience to keep track of counting etc... Plus with the dishcloths I get to see the finished product quickly. :lol

It is very relaxing for me. I taught myself how to crochet in college when I was struggling with insomnia.

Buela
01-19-2010, 06:39 AM
I started the hat . . . .

This is the pattern http://thecraftytortoise.blogspot.com/2009/08/hat-pattern.html

It is looking a much bigger than 3-6 months though :giggle
And I bought a pattern yesterday for cute little critters (lions, monkeys, elephant etc) that dd will love . . .

Thanks for the kick in the pants!file:///C:/Users/Alison/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-2.pngfile:///C:/Users/Alison/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.png

TestifyToLove
01-19-2010, 07:15 AM
Working my way through a stuffed dragon pattern right now. And, I went out and replaced the sock yarn that the 3 year old cut to smitherins so I can start some socks when I'm done with the dragon.

Buela
01-19-2010, 11:31 AM
Can anyone help me with this stitch? Called a twisted dc stitch or crossed dc stitch? I have never heard of it and it seems it is in the hat I am doing . . .

jrsmama
01-19-2010, 02:03 PM
If I remember correctly, you yarn over, skip the dc and insert your hook in the next dc to complete your stitch. On your next stitch, you dc into the dc you skipped.

Pragmatist
01-19-2010, 03:22 PM
I've crocheted an afghan, baby blanket, scarf, and I'm working on an American flag afghan, but am stuck. After completing most of the red and white stripes, I realized I did the wrong stitch and now I don't think it will line up right with the stars. So, it's been sitting for a long time while I figure out what I need to do.

DragonfliiMama
01-19-2010, 05:53 PM
:raise I've been really into my crocheting lately. Lots of Christmas projects and since then, lots of playing around.

TTL, what pattern are you using for the dragon? I'd love to find a good dragon pattern but I don't like the look of most of the ones I've seen.

TestifyToLove
01-19-2010, 06:18 PM
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=175190.0

Going to work on it more after I re-read my crash course chapter on Organic Chemistry...or pardon me, my prof asked me to call it cellular chemistry, I countered that it was STILL a crash course in Chemistry in a Biology class :think

I want to crochet. But, I'm going to use as my reward for studying since I don't WANT to study Organic Chemistry in Biology. I mean, people study Organic Chemistry in 2 semesters and he wants us to crash course it in 1 chapter...I'm having flashbacks to Nursing School where they thought they could crash course it in the Nursing coursework and never have you take any formal Chemistry.

So, reward...yes, reward. I'll reward myself when I'm done watching my brain cells spin backwards over Carbohydrates, Lipids, Amino Acids and other such confusing molecular structures. Cause reading the stuff 3 times did me NO good when I had to walk into lab and ID the 3D models today.

Maybe I should crochet some 3D molecules. Might help me study for my practical test that I've been warned I'll have to know how to id these things for.

DragonfliiMama
01-19-2010, 06:39 PM
I've seen that pattern before, it's better than most I've seen, but still doesn't quite satisfy my dragon obsessed particularness. I haven't seen the full instructions for that one before this, though, and now realizing that you have to *gasp* sew all the pieces together... horror, dismay. :giggle I don't think that's the pattern for me.

kandykidsaturn
01-19-2010, 08:08 PM
I've recently picked it up, and having made, well anything. :P :popcorn

SilverMoon
01-19-2010, 09:36 PM
I made that dragon for my son Christmas 2008! It was interesting.

I just remembered I have to finish a little zombie and a little ninja for both of my sons. They were supposed to go into their stockings but didn't get done.

Marsha
01-20-2010, 06:37 AM
I love love love to crochet, the same way I love to play Tetris and Bejeweled. Only it's even more soothing. But I only like to make things in straight lines LOL. I despise paterns and changing stitches, etc. I make baby blankets, shawls, afghans, hats, scarves, dishcloths.....that's about it, I guess. But baby blankets alone keep me busy! I have a large family with predominantly girls (women now I guess LOL) and a homeschool co-op and an Orthodox church....so babies are always appearing!

Buela
01-20-2010, 07:11 AM
So I finished the hat last night -- only it fits my 2 yo dd (the size is 3-6 months) LOL! I thought it would make a nice gift for a new baby. Oh well. Gotta find a new pattern!

Marsha
01-20-2010, 07:17 AM
i usually have the opposite problemm.....my baby hats would fit a doll!! I usually have to use a slightly larger hook, maybe you could try a smaller? It's usually the gauge that's off, not the pattern.

Buela
01-20-2010, 07:20 AM
I'll try that tonight -- the hat only used about half the ball of yarn. I also need to buy some pink yarn for the flower embellishment as I no longer have scraps.

YAY, I'm actually motivated to DO something!

DragonfliiMama
01-20-2010, 09:25 AM
Check the size of the yarn, too. If you're using a larger yarn than the pattern calls for, that will also make it turn out larger.