PDA

View Full Version : decluttering how??

swimming with sharks
01-12-2010, 08:40 AM
the decluttering calendar says to declutter some Christmas ornaments, how? I feel bad just throwing them out :doh But really who wants plain old colored balls in January? :shrug3

Happygrl
01-12-2010, 11:03 AM
I put my decluttered Xmas decorations in a separate box, appropriately labeled and with our Christmas stuff. I also zoomed ahead to my Nov calendar and made a note the first week to be sure to donate that box.

katiekind
01-12-2010, 11:32 AM
That is very clever of you! I wish I had read it last week!

swimming with sharks
01-14-2010, 11:51 AM
To who (whom? :shrug3) are you planning on donating them to? :think

CakeLady
01-14-2010, 12:20 PM
You could freecycle it. People will take stuff no matter what time of year it is.

mama-hobbit
01-14-2010, 12:22 PM
I was just at the thrift store today checking for decluttered ornaments! I like to find them and pack them away as I'm packing the ones I already have. :)

Happygrl
01-14-2010, 12:22 PM
To who (whom? :shrug3) are you planning on donating them to? :think

I will donate ours to our church's food bank. They also take household donations. If not there, I would take to any thrift store.

Sweet Life
01-14-2010, 12:25 PM
I'm not positive, but I think the thrift stores will sell them right now. And also hold them until next year, closer to the holiday. Otherwise, i can't figure out how they magically have racks and racks of Christmas stuff starting in October. :shrug3 I'd probably just give it to the thrift store and assume they have a system for that. ;)

prov31craftymom
01-14-2010, 12:38 PM
the decluttering calendar says to declutter some Christmas ornaments, how? I feel bad just throwing them out :doh But really who wants plain old colored balls in January? :shrug3

decluttering calendar? Is there a thread on this?

Happygrl
01-14-2010, 12:41 PM
I'm not positive, but I think the thrift stores will sell them right now. And also hold them until next year, closer to the holiday.
Depends on the store. Many, IME, will not keep seasonal stuff because they simply don't have the storage space for it. I've been past many a thrift store after a season-change and saw lots of donations thrown out in the trash for that reason (confirmed to me by some employees). I would ask before dropping off, personally.

decluttering calendar? Is there a thread on this?
http://gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=338009&highlight=declutter+calendar

Sweet Life
01-14-2010, 12:46 PM
true. it probably takes a lot of storage.

but my philosophy on decluttering is to get it out the door. there is no way i'd hold on to a box until next november. :no if i didn't do the thrift store, i'd freecycle, recycle, or pitch it. :shrug3

KLin
01-14-2010, 12:51 PM
A school art class, or church can use them to create new (painted) ornaments for next Christmas projects.