PDA

View Full Version : making training pants

Tengokujin
01-11-2010, 01:31 PM
Please ladies, help me think this through!

I want to make pull-up cloth diapers that have snaps at the sides for cleaning up big messes.

I want to make the inner part out of DS's present toddler sized prefolds. They are nicely broken in --at that great place of beginning to wear out.

I found an online pattern to make a fitted diaper out of a prefold. I thought that I would follow that pattern, but then also cut a layer of PUL to waterproof the outside. I am thinking of seaming it all together and turning it rightside out to put seams on the inside, except for the waist and the leg openings. I would leave those seams raw until after seaming the sides, and then use fold over elastic to gather and bind those edges together.

With me so far? Will that work?

That then leaves the snaps on the sides. I don't have access to a snap press, and I am thinking of just sewing some on. Will those kinds of punctures really mess up the PUL? Should I use touchtape instead?

Help me ladies! I really need to make these pants soon.

Also, any online resources for cheap PUL with good boyish patterns would be great.

Naked Camper
01-11-2010, 03:14 PM
you really do need the polyresin snaps :yes I would do touch tape. Of course, you could try buttons :shrug3

make sure you use 100% polyester thread too.

AFA PUL prints - celtic cloths sometimes has them. verybaby sometimes has them. ebay is another good source.

Tengokujin
01-11-2010, 03:28 PM
I don't want to go to the trouble of getting a snap press or of having someone else put the snaps on.

Do you think it would work if I sewed on (w/ poly thread) some nylon snaps?

I can easily get touch tape, but I'm wondering if it would be bulky/scratchy/a temptation to pull it off.

What do you think of the fold over elastic??

Thanks sooo much for your feedback!:D

Naked Camper
01-11-2010, 04:02 PM
i'm terrible at foe, so i'm not the right person to sk. but i know many diaper sewers use it :yes

Mama Bird
01-12-2010, 12:25 PM
I'm considering reworking some of our prefolds into pull-on trainers with FOE and putting woolies over them, made so that he can pull them down like regular pants.

Naked Camper
01-12-2010, 12:49 PM
what a good idea :)

BriansLovie
01-12-2010, 12:50 PM
subbing

Tengokujin
01-12-2010, 01:01 PM
I'm considering reworking some of our prefolds into pull-on trainers with FOE and putting woolies over them, made so that he can pull them down like regular pants.

Would this be like an All-in-one?

Mama Bird
01-12-2010, 01:07 PM
Nope. Just wearing woolies over the pullon pants made from the prefolds. One set of his prefolds is in the same shape as you described earlier. The edges are kind of raggedy, so I'd like to repurpose them into training pants, because I'm too cheap to buy Gerber ones. :giggle

Then he'd just wear his normal wool pants (shorts in the summertime) over them and he can pull them down fast and easily.

Tengokujin
01-12-2010, 03:17 PM
That's a great idea--but while DS1 was in wool covers like that, they wore out and I didn't knit more for DS2. It looks like DS2 will also be DS the Last, so I'm wanting to work with what I have.

Any opinions on me puncturing the outer PUL layer to sew on nylon snaps with poly thread?

Mama Rophe
01-12-2010, 03:24 PM
I don't think it'd be a problem as long as you wash them before you use them. I haven't worked with PUL, just read a lot and I've seen some with embroidery on them that people say don't cause an issue with wicking at all.

Tengokujin
01-12-2010, 06:10 PM
Wash and then dry them, you mean? I guess the heat of the drying might sorta seal up the holes.

Mama Rophe
01-13-2010, 07:02 AM
Wash and then dry them, you mean? I guess the heat of the drying might sorta seal up the holes.

Yea. Sorry, I wasn't more clear in my post above. I do that sometimes. I'm thinking something but it doesn't all come out. :giggle