PDA

View Full Version : so -- trifle?

Buela
01-07-2010, 07:57 PM
I made a trifle once, and it was super yummy. No idea what happened to the recipe, and I can hardly remember the process. I remember that it contained brownies and and berries.

We are having guest to dinner tomorrow night and I would like to make a trifle like this one. I have brownies, pudding and strawberries. Is that all I need? Do I just layer it in that order in a pretty bowl? Do the layers repeat?

Do I need whip cream? Or cool whip or something? I checked a few recipes on allrecipes.com and they all called for cool whip (which I do not have). I would really prefer to not have to stop at the store tomorrow.

Thanks for any help!

Aerynne
01-07-2010, 08:00 PM
I don't know what it takes for something to be a trifle technically, but how can you go wrong with pudding, brownies, and strawberries? I think it would be delicious without whipped cream but even better with it. So either way is fine.

Mum2Es
01-07-2010, 08:22 PM
I've never heard of trifle containing brownies, but I guess it's a substitute for the sponge cake or jam roll usually used.

The process for trifle here (in Australia) where it is very popular, is

Break up sponge cake or jam roll into a decorative glass dish, and pour tinned fruit over the top. Make up a packet jelly (what you call jello I think) and pour that over the top too, refrigerate to set.

Make a standard egg custard (or cheat and buy ready made custard or use powdered) and pour it over the set jelly/fruit/cake layer. Refrigerate to set again.

Whip cream and spread over the top of the set custard. Decorate as desired with fruit, grated chocolate, whatever fires your imagination!

It's a Christmas staple here!