PDA

View Full Version : draft blockers

WanderingJuniper
12-29-2009, 10:28 AM
Bart wants me to make draft blockers for the windows and backdoor. That is fine. :) I just don't know what to fill them with. :shrug3 It needs to be affordable and do the job. Any ideas?

Kiara.I
12-29-2009, 11:43 AM
Bart wants me to make draft blockers for the windows and backdoor. That is fine. :) I just don't know what to fill them with. :shrug3 It needs to be affordable and do the job. Any ideas?

Playground sand?

Mama Rophe
12-29-2009, 11:44 AM
rice, beans, sand,....

Marielle
12-29-2009, 11:57 AM
I've been meaning to make some for the last couple of years so I've done a little bookmarking. Here's two ideas that are slightly different than the bean bag concept:

http://blog.jugglingfrogs.com/2007/12/its-time-to-abolish-draft-creating.html

http://www.flickr.com/photos/notmartha/sets/72057594068949613/

If I were going to go the bean bag concept I would not use any type of food because they can attract rodents and are not washable (I have mild asthma and things need to be washable around here). What I read somewhere was to make a thin fabric tube a little shorter than the length of your draft stopper and fill it with those poly pellets that beanie babies are filled with. Then you place that tube in the middle of your larger tube and fill around it with loose poly fill or your choice of stuffing. Sew up and you're done. The poly pellets weigh it down,conform to the gap/leak and the batting keeps it from eating up into your budget. Plus the whole thing is washable.

WanderingJuniper
12-29-2009, 12:49 PM
Marielle that first link is great! I think I'm going to modify that idea to work for us using the pellets I have from old beany stuffed animals and recycled plastic grocery bags.

I was concerned about rice or beans as well since we always seem to get a few mice in the winter and sand would need to be left to dry before I filled the sleeve.

It would be nice it they were washable. Maybe I'll add some velcro I have left from diaper making to the sleeve so I could remove the sleeve and replace the inside each year since it would be filled with recycled products. :think

Marielle
12-29-2009, 12:52 PM
Marielle that first link is great! I think I'm going to modify that idea to work for us using the pellets I have from old beany stuffed animals and recycled plastic grocery bags.

I was concerned about rice or beans as well since we always seem to get a few mice in the winter and sand would need to be left to dry before I filled the sleeve.

It would be nice it they were washable. Maybe I'll add some velcro I have left from diaper making to the sleeve so I could remove the sleeve and replace the inside each year since it would be filled with recycled products. :think

That sounds like a great idea!