PDA

View Full Version : Favorite gluten free cookie recipes wanted!

ncsweetpea
12-01-2009, 05:23 PM
I need to make Christmas cookies...and I want to try something besides chocolate chip. Any ideas? Recipes that you have tried and found yummy?

TraceMama
12-01-2009, 06:13 PM
Can you do peanut butter?

ncsweetpea
12-01-2009, 08:55 PM
yes, ma'am I can!

Autumn
12-01-2009, 09:04 PM
These may be out because they're kind of chocolate chip, but the taste is different because of the peanut butter - and they're SO easy with only 4 ingredients :)

PB Chocolate Chippers

1 cup peanut butter
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 large egg
3/4 cup chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350

Combine peanut butter, brown sugar and egg with spoon until well blended

Add chips and mix well

Placce heaping tablespoonfuls on ungreased cookie sheet

Dip fork in granulated sugar and press cross-cross to 1/2 inch thickness

Bake about 10 minutes

Let stand 2 minutes on cookie sheets

Cool on wire racks

Makes about 2 dozen (freeze up to 3 months)

Edited to add: we don't use the extra sugar or cross them with the fork, we just spoon them out like chocolate chip cookies. But there are all sorts of things you could do to them :yum I didn't think they would work when I first saw the recipe because it didn't seem like it would hold together with just the ingredients listed, but they do and we all really like them :giggle

TraceMama
12-02-2009, 06:20 AM
That's the peanut butter cookie recipe I was going to suggest :yes You can do the same ingredients without the chocolate chips and it's the perfect peanut butter cookie. :)

---------- Post added at 08:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:19 AM ----------

Oh, I also have a really yummy, but very time-intensive Swiss cookie recipe with almond meal instead of flour. :shrug3 LMK if you'd like it -- they're called Cinnamon Stars and you roll and cut them out like sugar cookies.

WI Mama05
12-02-2009, 06:26 AM
I haven't tried them yet, but plan on checking to see if there are recipes on the glutenfreegoddess blog/site. I :heart her recipes. AWESOME stuff there! :tu and :cup for more favorites here!

ChristmasGirl
12-02-2009, 07:03 AM
Here is a sugar cookie recipe from Reneandbaby that totally rocks!

1 cup shortening (Spectrum)

1 cup sugar

2 eggs

1/2 tsp vanilla

3 cups flour blend (I use 1 1/2 cups rice flour, and then 1 1/2 of a bean flour blend like Bob's Red Mill)

1 1/2 tsp xantham gum

2 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp baking soda

1/2 tsp salt

You cream the shortening and sugar together, then add the eggs and vanilla. In another bowl mix all the dry ingredients (the flour, xantham, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.) Add flour mix to liquid mix until you can form a ball. I then chill it a few hours in the fridge to make it stiff enough to be rolled and cut.

For the icing, I do 1/4 cup shortening, 1 cup powdered sugar, 1 tsp vanilla

Spectrum shortening is made out of palm oil and not soy, so you end up with a soy free, dairy free, gluten free cookie! If you are not worried about soy, you can also use Earth's Balance instead of shortening.

OliveJuice
12-02-2009, 07:07 AM
These are delicious GF PB Kiss cookies

1 cup natural PB
1/2 cup raw sugar (sometimes I use regular sugar and it comes out fine)
1/2 cup GF flour mix
1 egg
Hershey's kisses

Combine first 4 ingredients and roll into balls. Slightly flatten on cookie sheet. Bake at 350 F for 12 mins. Take out of oven and place Hershey kiss in the middle of each cookie pressing down GENTLY. Bake another 5 minutes. Let cool ON the cookie sheet. These cookies are delicate when warm.

Lily
12-02-2009, 07:12 AM
Russian Tea Cakes

2 cups almond flour or other gf flour
1 cup butter
1 cup chopped walnuts
1 teaspoon vanilla
4 tablespoons powdered sugar + 1/2 cup for rolling

Mix everything together, form balls and bake at 350 for 10 to 12 minutes. When cookies are almost room temp, roll in powdered sugar.

You can use butter alternatives like earth balance if you prefer.

OliveJuice
12-02-2009, 01:07 PM
Russian Tea Cakes

1 cup butter
1 cup chopped walnuts
1 teaspoon vanilla

Mix everything together, form balls and bake at 350 for 10 to 12 minutes. When cookies are almost room temp, roll in powdered sugar.

YUM! We make these with regular flour and GF ds REALLY wanted some of these!!! I'll try it!

Mamaka
12-02-2009, 01:13 PM
I haven't tried this yet, but here's a recipe for GF gingerbread: http://voices.washingtonpost.com/mighty-appetite/2007/12/a_merry_cookie_for_all.html

ncsweetpea
12-02-2009, 01:50 PM
That's the peanut butter cookie recipe I was going to suggest :yes You can do the same ingredients without the chocolate chips and it's the perfect peanut butter cookie. :)

---------- Post added at 08:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:19 AM ----------

Oh, I also have a really yummy, but very time-intensive Swiss cookie recipe with almond meal instead of flour. :shrug3 LMK if you'd like it -- they're called Cinnamon Stars and you roll and cut them out like sugar cookies.

How time intensive??? :scratch Could I mix the dough in the food processor??

---------- Post added at 03:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:21 PM ----------

Russian Tea Cakes

1 cup butter
1 cup chopped walnuts
1 teaspoon vanilla

This looks great! This was what I was thinking of...these sound a bit like wedding cookies.

OliveJuice
12-03-2009, 06:34 AM
This looks great! This was what I was thinking of...these sound a bit like wedding cookies.

Exactly! I made Mexican wedding cakes and this is about the same recipe except with GF flour

AngelaVA
12-03-2009, 06:45 AM
I bet you could make cake balls with gluten free cake mix.

ncsweetpea
12-03-2009, 07:16 AM
I bet you could make cake balls with gluten free cake mix.

I tried that...and they came out really gummy...

curlymopmom
12-03-2009, 07:31 AM
Oooohhh... ChristmasGirl.... I might have to try those cookies. I'm especially excited to learn that Spectrum has shortening that isn't soy based... still using Crisco over here. :giggle

I was going to post a sugar cookie recipe that we made yesterday, but it is VERY similar (only major substitute is tapioca/potato starch flour blend instead of the bean flours). Ours were great (gluten-free, dairy-free, egg-free) so I'm guessing yours will be too! I did the same for icing, except added a little water (or you can add any kind of milk) to the mix. I had to roll mine out between wax paper dusted with flour... it was easier that way. YUMMY!!! Mine said to bake at 375 for about 6 minutes.

Grrr! The other ones I was going to post AREN'T gluten-free... We're WHEAT-free here so sometimes I get confused. :(

sweetpeasmommy
12-03-2009, 08:36 AM
:cup

Eesti
12-03-2009, 08:47 AM
subbing...I know you ask for cookies besides chocochip but I found a really good choco chip recipe on karinas kitchen site...using buckwheat flour.
http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/2008/03/buckwheat-chocolate-chip-cookies.html

Thankfulforgrace
12-03-2009, 11:44 AM

Um, how long do you cook the cookies??

---------- Post added at 11:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:43 AM ----------

Oooohhh... ChristmasGirl.... I might have to try those cookies. I'm especially excited to learn that Spectrum has shortening that isn't soy based... still using Crisco over here. :giggle

I was going to post a sugar cookie recipe that we made yesterday, but it is VERY similar (only major substitute is tapioca/potato starch flour blend instead of the bean flours). Ours were great (gluten-free, dairy-free, egg-free) so I'm guessing yours will be too! I did the same for icing, except added a little water (or you can add any kind of milk) to the mix. I had to roll mine out between wax paper dusted with flour... it was easier that way. YUMMY!!! Mine said to bake at 375 for about 6 minutes.

Grrr! The other ones I was going to post AREN'T gluten-free... We're WHEAT-free here so sometimes I get confused. :(

What did you use in place of the eggs? I get frustrated with applesauce because it makes things so sticky and that's hard for rolling out dough...

deena
12-03-2009, 11:45 AM
:cookie

Autumn
12-03-2009, 11:53 AM

:think Do you think I could do softened butter in these instead of the shortening? We don't have any right now and I can't get to the store but these would be fun to make...

curlymopmom
12-03-2009, 12:03 PM
The recipe I used:

1/2 c brown rice flour
1/4 c white rice flour
1/2 c potato starch
1/4 c tapioca starch
3/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
1 teaspoon powdered egg replacer (***see end of post***)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 c sugar
1/2 c margarine (I just used Crisco)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2-3 Tablespoons water

Combine dry ingredients. Set aside.
Cream margarine and sugar. Add vanilla & 2 T water. Add wet mixture to dry mixture. Add more water if needed - just until dough comes together.

Roll between two sheets of wax paper. Use cookie cutters. Bake at 375 oven for 6 minutes, or until edges just beginning to brown.

***SonshineMama posted 8 homemade egg replacements in this thread:
http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=325234&highlight=replacement

I bet those with the powders would work in this recipe. But I would omit the water because this recipe already takes into account using a powdered egg substitute. Just add more water in the end if the dough isn't forming together nicely- like traditional sugar cookie dough.

For the egg replacer I use, that 1 teaspoon wouldn't quite equal a full egg (2/3)... so you might want to reduce these homemade ones a bit if you use one of those in this recipe.

Hope that helps!!! :heart

---------- Post added at 01:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:00 PM ----------

The only problem with butter is cookies don't hold their shape as well... shortening stays the same form no matter the temp. But I personally don't think it would matter enough... certainly not for a test run. :giggle I would use butter if I could eat it! :giggle

bananacake
12-03-2009, 12:15 PM
GF Chocolate Crinkles are by far the best GF cookie I've ever made. Gluten eaters love them and can't tell they are GF.

Chocolate Crinkles

1/2 c vegetable oil (I used coconut oil)
4 squares unsweetened chocolate, melted
2 c sugar
3 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
2 c rice flour mix (I also used a little garbanzo bean flour)
1/2 t xanthan gum
1/4 t salt
1 t baking powder
confectioners sugar

Mix oil, chocolate, and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing thoroughly between each. Add vanilla. Measure flour by "dip-level-pour" method. Stir into chocolate mix along with salt, xanthan gum, and baking powder. Chill several hours or overnight. Heat oven to 350. Form dough into balls (it will be stiff) and roll in confectioners sugar to coat. Place about 2" apart on a greased baking sheet. Bake about 10-14 minutes.

I made my own confectioner sugar because traditional confectioner sugar has corn in it. You use a ratio of 1 cup white sugar to 1 tablespoon starch (I used potato starch). You put the sugar in a blender or coffee grinder and pulvarize it. It's not quite as fine as the store-bought kind, but it works well.

These cookies are awesome with or without coconut oil, but using high quality coconut oil adds just a touch of coconut flavor.

TraceMama
12-04-2009, 05:56 AM
Here's the recipe for Cinnamon Stars. I'll let you decide how time-intensive. ;)

Cinnamon Stars
flourless - gluten-free
(yield 80 pieces) 3 egg whites
8 oz. powdered sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
4 drops almond extract
1 teaspoon cinnamon
14 oz. ground almonds
http://www.pastrywiz.com/_art/co_zimt_1.gifhttp://www.pastrywiz.com/_art/co_zimt_2.gif
Whip egg whites to a peak. Sift powdered sugar and slowly add to egg whites. Set aside 3 tablespoons of egg whites to decorate cookies. Add vanilla, almond extract, cinnamon and ground almonds. Put dough into a plastic bag and roll out to about 1/4 inch. Refrigerate bag for about 15 minutes. Cut bag open. Cut out cookies with a 2 inch star shaped cookie cutter and transfer onto baking pan lined with parchment paper. Brush cookies with egg whites
Bake at 250 F for approximately 15 minutes. Reduce temperature to 210 F and bake for another 30 minutes.
http://www.pastrywiz.com/_art/co_zimt_star.gif The brushed egg whites should remain white. (approximately 40 calories per cookie).Tip:
You can use ground hazelnuts instead of ground almonds.

There's also this recipe from the food network. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchens/cinnamon-stars-zimtsterne-germany-recipe/index.html

WI Mama05
12-04-2009, 06:41 AM
yummy - bummer I'm egg-free :pout

Singingmom
12-04-2009, 07:08 AM
I have a friend who is gluten free and can't have sugar... not even agave syrup. I don't suppose anyone has any ideas for how to sweeten cookies without sugar, honey, or agave? I would love to make her some kind of a treat. :think

Raspberries
12-04-2009, 07:22 AM
I have a friend who is gluten free and can't have sugar... not even agave syrup. I don't suppose anyone has any ideas for how to sweeten cookies without sugar, honey, or agave? I would love to make her some kind of a treat. :think
Dates or ground carrots or concentrated juices (whole fruit juices) are good for that.

Eesti
12-04-2009, 07:42 AM
can she have stevia?

curlymopmom
12-04-2009, 07:58 AM
yummy - bummer I'm egg-free :pout

That's what I was thinking. :(

bananacake
12-04-2009, 08:06 AM

This site might have something: http://www.thespunkycoconut.com/

ncsweetpea
12-06-2009, 02:48 PM
Here's the recipe for Cinnamon Stars. I'll let you decide how time-intensive. ;)

There's also this recipe from the food network. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchens/cinnamon-stars-zimtsterne-germany-recipe/index.html

We have a few rainy days coming up this week...I think we might try this.

ChristmasGirl
12-06-2009, 06:27 PM
about the sugar cookie recipe...i don't remember how long they took to bake. i'm guessing you could try to substitute butter for the spectrum. we were dairy free at the time which is why we like that.

i hope everyones baking turns out delicious :hug

WI Mama05
12-09-2009, 06:42 AM
I made some haystacks :shrug

I bought some from our coop and thought they looked easy enough.

I used a package of chocolate chips (spectrum brand for us, DF) melted it and added 1 C coconut and 1 C rice crispies. The coop ones were ALL coconut, so if you wanted to go that route, you could just add a bunch more coconut.

Dropped it by the spoonful onto waxed paper and let it harden. Voila!

ETA:
I also made these:
Chocolate Crinkles
1/2 c vegetable oil
4 squares unsweetened baking chocolate (1 oz each)
2 c sugar
3 eggs, room temperature
2 t vanilla
2 c rice flour mix (I used Arrowhead Mills baking mix instead)
1/2 t xanthan gum
1/4 t salt
1 t baking powder
confectioners sugar

Melt chocolate, then mix with oil and sugar. Mix in eggs, one at a time. (If your eggs are cold, it will cause the warm chocolate to stiffen up and then you will have to warm up your dough somehow, so don't do that - use warm eggs.) Stir in the vanilla, then add the rice flour mix, xanthan gum, salt and baking powder. Mix everything together, then stick the bowl in the fridge for a few hours or overnight.
Heat oven to 350. Form dough into small balls (dough will be stiff) and roll in confectioners sugar. Place 2" apart on a greased cookie sheet, and bake 10-12 minutes (just until they feel slightly firm when you touch the top of one).
Makes about 3 dozen.

They were okay. Not the REAL chocolate crinkles of my Gfull Dladen days :LOL but will be a nice treat for the holidays!

curlymopmom
12-09-2009, 07:28 AM
I made some haystacks :shrug

I bought some from our coop and thought they looked easy enough.

I used a package of chocolate chips (spectrum brand for us, DF) melted it and added 1 C coconut and 1 C rice crispies. The coop ones were ALL coconut, so if you wanted to go that route, you could just add a bunch more coconut.

Dropped it by the spoonful onto waxed paper and let it harden.

Yummy! I am SO going to try that!!!

Mamaka
12-10-2009, 06:03 PM
http://www.elanaspantry.com/many-hands-make-gingerbread/ Another gf gingerbread cookie recipe that looks really easy. I'm going to try it this weekend and substitute molasses for the yacon syrup.

WI Mama05
12-10-2009, 07:37 PM
I was able to modify that sugar cookie recipe successfully egg free as well and YUM! I made them at a friend's house and even my non-Gf/DF food snob kids ate them!!!!!!

I also made the russian tea cakes/mexican wedding cakes and they were delish GF/DF!

SUCCESS!!!!!

TraceMama
12-13-2009, 06:49 PM
I made the cinnamon stars this weekend for dh's birthday. :) They are *so* absolutely worth every minute. YUMMY! :yes

Raspberries
12-13-2009, 06:55 PM
I made these tonight:
http://glutenfree.wordpress.com/2009/09/03/soft-and-chewy-gluten-free-sugar-cookies/

Gluten Free Soft and Chewy Sugar Cookies
Recipe makes 2 – 2 1/2 dozen cookies
Ingredients:
1/2 cup butter or Earth’s Balance
1/4 cup whipped cream cheese
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1 1/3 cups gluten free flour mix (http://glutenfree.wordpress.com/my-gf-flour-blend/)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum

I used regular cream cheese. Also, I did make up a batch of her gf mix, but for the way I wanted to do this (with cookie cutters and shapes) I ended up adding about another 2/3c of the gf mix so it held together better. Then I had to liberally flour the surface and my rolling pin. These came out great! We loved them and I'll make them again. ETA: I also wanted to add that I used sorgum flour, sweet white rice flour, tapioca starch, potato starch and arrowroot because I was out of cornstarch.

We also made our own icing using confectioners sugar, homemade gf vanilla extract, milk and various natural food source things for dye (I boiled some beets, or added chlorophyll, or tumeric).

So yummy and they made a lot too. I didn't count, at least 30 cookies.

WI Mama05
12-13-2009, 06:56 PM
I also made cashew butter buckeyes! YUM!

ncsweetpea
12-16-2009, 06:42 AM
Wanna post that cashew butter buckeye thing??? Or is it just regular buckeyes subbing cashew butter for peanut butter?

---------- Post added at 08:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:41 AM ----------

Thanks to you all! Now I have a tried and tested GF cookie cookbook to work from!

WI Mama05
12-17-2009, 09:28 AM
I subbed cashew butter, and only made a half batch (That is now gone :bag)

3/4 c Cashew butter
1/2 c Earth balance (I'm dairy free too, but reg butter would work)
1/2 tea vanilla
2 C powdered sugar
1/2 pkg chocolate chips

Cream the first 4 and make balls. Freeze for about 30 min. Melt chips (I used microwave) and dip balls. Put in freezer to harden. I stored them in the fridge too...

YUMMY!

curlymopmom
12-17-2009, 09:38 AM
I subbed cashew butter, and only made a half batch (That is now gone :bag)

3/4 c Cashew butter
1/2 c Earth balance (I'm dairy free too, but reg butter would work)
1/2 tea vanilla
2 C powdered sugar
1/2 pkg chocolate chips

Cream the first 4 and make balls. Freeze for about 30 min. Melt chips (I used microwave) and dip balls. Put in freezer to harden. I stored them in the fridge too...

YUMMY!

Ummm... That sounds so yummy! I am going to have to add that to my list of holiday treats!

Autumn
10-18-2010, 06:07 PM
:yum

ncsweetpea
10-18-2010, 06:23 PM
Ooh, thanks for digging this one up! It is almost time to bake again...