PDA

View Full Version : calling all kefir makers!!!

Proverbs31
11-30-2009, 07:36 PM
I just saw that So Delicious now makes a coconut milk kefir! LOVE the French Vanilla, but the price is :jawdrop

Is it possible to make dairy-free coconut milk kefir at home? If so, how?

HomeWithMyBabies
11-30-2009, 07:42 PM
I was reading up on this recently. I'm not a kefir maker just to be clear, but I'd like to be one someday. :O From the information I've found, you can use kefir grains to make kefir out of all kinds of milks and beverages, but the grains will not grow.

MtnMama
11-30-2009, 08:44 PM
I'd love some kefir grains again. So I'm subbing to the thread. I had water-kefir grains sent to me from Praise on GCM (I miss her) and my MIL threw them away thinking I had "something going bad on my counter." :hunh I grieve for them.

The way I did it was use water-kefir grains, figs, turbinado sugar, a half lemon, and water and let it go for a couple of days. Harvest the grains and drink up. :yum It was de-lic-ious.

The grains I had did grow -- Praise had extras and gave me some of those extras. Not sure if there are different varieties, though. :think

ETA: And I know I didn't mention coconut kefir at all, but I thought my input would be okay since it said calling all kefir makers. :O

Proverbs31
12-02-2009, 09:43 AM
What exactly are kefir grains? What are they made of? :blush

Soliloquy
12-02-2009, 10:04 AM
Water kefir grains will grow when used to make water kefir. :)

Dairy kefir grains can be used to make water kefir but will not grow.

You can use dairy kefir grains to make coconut milk kefir but you may have to experiment a bit.

Kefir grains are a type of SCOBY, symbiotic culture of bacteria and yeasts. The culture consumes the sugar in the liquid and releases wonderful vitamins and living culture. It's the best probiotic! :). Kefir is one of the few stable sources of folic acid. It's a traditional food.

If you are highly sensitive to dairy you may want to get your dairy grains from someone who has been making dairy-free kefir. I can send dairy grains but I cannot guarantee I will be able to rinse all the milk off.

And store-bought kefir is similar too but not the same as homemade. Homemade is healthier (more variety in the active cultures) and less predictable.

If you google "Dom's kefir" you should find Dom's site which has more than you've ever wanted to know about kefir, lol. There are also several yahoo groups dedicated to kefir with very experienced members to help you.

HTH!!
Posted via Mobile Device

Blueberrybabies
12-02-2009, 10:04 AM
Yes, if you have kefir grains coconut milk will kefir nicely. I haven't tried with water-kefir grains so they would grow, just with my milk grains.

Soliloquy
12-02-2009, 11:59 AM
Good to know!! :tu
Posted via Mobile Device