PDA

View Full Version : Adding the kids names to Christmas tie blankets - how to?

Sweet Life
11-19-2009, 03:21 PM
So the kids (and I ;)) made fleece tie blankets for each set of grands for Christmas. I want to affix a small label to the blanket itself, probably in a bottom corner, that will say something like "Merry Christmas 2009 from (kids names)". It could be very small and just have their names or be somewhat larger and include an outline of their hands.

Problem is I don't have a working sewing machine right now, so I'm trying to figure out how to affix the label.

Could I use a fabric marker to have them write their names/handprints on a piece of cloth, then use adhesive backing to iron it on to the fleece?

Open to all ideas. :think

Sweet Life
11-20-2009, 11:04 AM
bump :)

Codi
11-20-2009, 11:10 AM
I am not sure about the fabric marker...but what came to my mind first was to embroider their names on a seperate piece of fabric then just hand stitch it onto the existing blanket? :shrug Something like this http://myplumpudding.blogspot.com/2008/11/embroidered-hand-prints.html but you could just do their names if you didnt want to do their hand prints?

It would be really cute to have them (the ones who can ;) ) write their own names and trace that to stitch so it is like they wrote it on the blanket themselves.

HTH!

Share pics when your done! :poke

Marielle
11-20-2009, 12:15 PM
iron a piece of prewashed and dried white fabric or muslin to some freezer paper ( it will stabilize it for writing). Then using a fine point sharpie have the kids write on it leaving enough fabric around the edge to sew it. Remove the freezer paper. Wait a bit and then using a pressing cloth iron over it to heat set.

Then press the edges to the wrong side and hand stitch it onto the blanket.

Sweet Life
12-02-2009, 09:08 PM
iron a piece of prewashed and dried white fabric or muslin to some freezer paper ( it will stabilize it for writing). Then using a fine point sharpie have the kids write on it leaving enough fabric around the edge to sew it. Remove the freezer paper. Wait a bit and then using a pressing cloth iron over it to heat set.

Then press the edges to the wrong side and hand stitch it onto the blanket.

I'm surprised about using the fine point sharpie. Is it washable? Or does the heat set with the iron when done do that?

---------- Post added at 09:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:07 PM ----------

I am not sure about the fabric marker...but what came to my mind first was to embroider their names on a seperate piece of fabric then just hand stitch it onto the existing blanket? :shrug Something like this http://myplumpudding.blogspot.com/2008/11/embroidered-hand-prints.html but you could just do their names if you didnt want to do their hand prints?

It would be really cute to have them (the ones who can ;) ) write their own names and trace that to stitch so it is like they wrote it on the blanket themselves.

HTH!

Share pics when your done! :poke

I would love, love, love to do this. It is sooo cute. We are actually making 7 blankets (for some other extended family members) and I just don't think that I have time to do embroidered handprints on all of them this year. :think If not this year, next .... !!

Marielle
12-02-2009, 09:19 PM
the heat helps set it but it will still fade a bit. It's the nature of fabric painting though. The prewashing helps to remove the starch and any residues on the fabric so the fading is minimal.

Sweet Life
12-02-2009, 09:22 PM
the heat helps set it but it will still fade a bit. It's the nature of fabric painting though. The prewashing helps to remove the starch and any residues on the fabric so the fading is minimal.

OK. And how do fabric markers compare?

Marielle
12-02-2009, 09:34 PM
About the same. I've used Marvy (sp?) fabric markers and they still tend to fade a bit although I use them with rubber stamps and the markers are the chunky kind.