PDA

View Full Version : cookies - will this work?

herbalwriter
10-01-2009, 03:03 PM
I love oatmeal chocolate chip cookies, but only when they are crispy. I don't have a recipe - if I replace some of the flour in my usual choc. chip cookie recipe with oatmeal, will they be okay? :think

Jenjardin
10-01-2009, 05:59 PM
I add oatmeal to make my cookies chewier. I'm not sure what to do though to make them crisper.

Six Little Feet
10-01-2009, 06:03 PM
Usually it is Butter that makes them crisp. I have done crisp oatmeal but they have some flour in them.

herbalwriter
10-01-2009, 06:08 PM
Well, I tried it - I looked at recipes online and sort of adapted mine to have the proportions of flour and oatmeal that the other recipes had. But they turned out cake-like instead of crispy. I hate cake-y cookies. Bleh. I think I know what happened - the batter seemed too thin so I kept adding flour until it was the right consistency. The last time I did that with cookies they turned out cake-y too. Note to self - even if batter seems thin, proceed!

Here's what I came up with:

1/2 c white flour
1/2 c whole wheat flour
1/4 c sucanat
1/4 c evaporated cane juice, plus 2 tablespoons
3/4 c rolled oats
1 1/2 tablespoons vanilla (I likes me some vanilla)
1/4 c butter
1/4 c safflower oil
1 large egg (really large - I have a hen that lays massive eggs)
1 tablespoon hot water
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp sea salt
chocolate chips (I didn't measure them)

I creamed the butter, oil, and sugar; then added the vanilla and the egg. I mixed the dry ingredients in another bowl and added them gradually. After that I added more flour than noted above to get the "right" consistency. It was the wrong consistency apparently. I baked them at 400 for 12 minutes on a parchment paper covered pizza stone.

The flavor is good though.