PDA

View Full Version : Cake question going from round to square

swimming with sharks
09-30-2009, 03:21 PM
My cake recipe calls for 2- 9"round cake pans. I need square pieces of cake, not slices of round.:giggle I'm going to cut it up into squares and put it in a dump truck to look like dirt for Budge's party. :yes Can I use a 13x9 pan instead....I tried to compare the areas of the round 63.56(2)=127 and the 13x9= 117 so I think it would work out ok....yes? Maybe have to cook it for a few more minutes than the 2 rounds?

tigerlily
09-30-2009, 03:39 PM
Yes, most boxed mixes are either two round pans or one 13x9 -- I'm not sure on how long to cook it though -- maybe 40-45 min?

Maybe someone with a box mix could check?

What kind of cake? :yum

jrsmama
09-30-2009, 03:50 PM
Yep, that'll work...I'm at work right now but will send you cook times when I get home tonight. I always do box cakes ;)

That dump truck idea sounds GREAT. I always make ds's bday cakes and am always on the look out for ideas!

swimming with sharks
09-30-2009, 04:45 PM
Thanks ladies! I was so thrilled with my math :rockon ....My oven cook fast so I figured I'd start checking about 30 minutes and work from there. It's a Hershey's Super chocolaty cake (back of the cocoa container). I really like it. :yum I'll make it tomorrow, frost it Friday, and cut it up and put it in the truck last thing before the guests arrive on Saturday. :)