PDA

View Full Version : breakfast casserole?

backtobasicsmum
09-25-2009, 10:23 AM
Does anyone have any suggestions for a breakfast casserole? I'm supposed to be bringing one to a ladies breakfast tomorrow and I'm not coming up with anything yummy. What would you take? :)

monkeylicious
09-25-2009, 10:37 AM
farmer's strata:

1 lb bacon, cut into 1/2" pieces (i use a pkg of turkey bacon)
2 cups chopped fully cooked ham (i buy diced ham for this, but my mom just saves some from a ham she cooks and dices it)
1 sm onion chopped (i use onion flakes)
10 slices white bread, cubed
2 cups cooked cubed potatoes (i use a bit more and in a pinch use frozen diced potatoes)
3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
8 eggs
3 cups milk
1 Tablespoon worcestershire sauce
1 tsp dry mustard
pinch salt & pepper

in a skillet cook the bacon until crisp; add ham and onion. cook and stir until onion is tender; drain (i don't seeing as i use the turkey bacon). in a greased 13x9 pan layer half the bread cubes, potatoes, and cheese. top with all of the bacon mixture. add the remaining bread potatoes, and cheese.

in a bowl beat the eggs; add the remaining ingredients. pour over all. cover and refrigerate overnight. remove for the refrigerator at least 30 minutes before baking. bake, uncovered at 325 degrees F for 65-75 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. serves 12-16.

cornflower
09-25-2009, 10:41 AM
I make a French Toast Casserole that is yummy!!!

Bread - (Save the heels of bread, hamburger buns, slightly stale bread, etc in a bag in the fridge. It keeps a good long while in the fridge. Just don’t use the moldy kind. J)
2 – 8oz pkgs of cream cheese
12 eggs
2 c. milk
1/3 c. of sucanat granules or maple syrup
1 t. vanilla

· Grease a 13x9 pan
· Tear the bread into bite-sized (or slightly larger) pieces until the bottom of the pan is covered
· Cube two 8oz packages of cream cheese (putting the bricks in the freezer for 30 minutes helps with this), and layer half of the cream cheese on top of the bread
· Tear more bread to cover the cream cheese. The amount of bread is not an exact science… I probably end up with the bread/cream cheese being 2-2.5 inches deep.
· Top with the remainder of cream cheese
· Beat 12 eggs, 2 cups of milk, 1/3-1/2 cup of Sucanat granules (or maple syrup), and 1 t. vanilla. Pour over the bread/cream cheese.
· Cover and place in the fridge overnight
· Bake uncovered at 375 for 45 minutes the next morning
· Serve with syrup

monkeylicious
09-25-2009, 10:42 AM
or for something easier and sweet:

http://www.kraftfoods.com/kf/recipes/cream-cheese-squares-92100.aspx

RealLifeMama
09-25-2009, 10:44 AM
The standard breakfast casserole is the sausage/egg type thing, or the strata thing like the pp's recipe.

Are you looking for something a bit different?
I have one that is a cresent roll/cheese pastry type, one that is like a baked french toast kind, and one savory type w/ sundried tomatoes and mozzerella.

I also have the standard sausage/egg/cheese type.

Any of those sound good?

MidnightCafe
09-25-2009, 10:54 AM
I make a very easy version of the Farmer Potato Casserole. We usually eat it for dinner, though. :yes

Grease casserole pan.
Pour in one bag of frozen hashbrowns.

In blender combine:
1 can condensed milk,
6 eggs,
1 bag frozen spinach,
1/4 t. salt
1/2 t. pepper

Pour blender contents over hashbrowns.

Dice ham or precooked sausage and sprinkle over everything.

Shred enough cheese to spread over the top.

Bake for 40-50 minutes or until eggs are set. Cover for the last 20 minutes if you don't like the cheese to brown.

We use kielbasa sometimes for the meat and switch up different kinds of veggies. I found that the kids (including the 18 yr old) find the veggies more agreeable if I blend them with the eggs & condensed milk. They're still green, but they're not in big chunks. :giggle Having the veggies blended also means that I don't have to pre-cook them. They're in such small pieces that they heat up in the oven.

backtobasicsmum
09-25-2009, 11:03 AM
mmmm! All of those sound sooooo good!

But...I'm going to be difficult here...I'm dairy free (sorry I should have mentioned that before!), so I'm trying to figure out if I could alter any of those recipies.....:think
And I can NOT get any sort of dairy free cheese/cream cheese here. Bummer.

ShangriLewis
09-25-2009, 11:09 AM
I use coconut milk, plain unsweetened soy or almond milk, or silk creamer in place of milk in recipes. Works great.

You could do some baked stuffed tomatoes or peppers. I think that would be awesome. We love breakfast burritos. You could make some up and put in a crockpot.

crunchymum
09-25-2009, 11:12 AM
:yum

sprout
09-25-2009, 11:30 AM
yum...breakfast burritos sound yummy and easy to make. and, then you could have more than one version.

ok...now I'm hungry

and, I second coconut milk...very yum...we have it in our baking isle

backtobasicsmum
09-25-2009, 11:50 AM
Okay, how about a recipe for breakfast burritos? :grin

sprout
09-25-2009, 11:51 AM
i'm hoping to get one too....poke to shangrilewis!

HEmomma
09-25-2009, 11:53 AM
We make ours by scrambling some eggs and cooking some sausage and mixing that in a baking dish with some cooked hashbrowns. Put that in the oven with some cheese on top, till the cheese is melted.

MidnightCafe
09-25-2009, 12:03 PM
You can use my recipe with almond or rice milk, rather than condensed milk (though soy creamer would probably be even better), and you can leave out the cheese on the top. I think it would still be pretty yummy. :yes

sprout
09-25-2009, 12:05 PM
nondairy cheese looks super funny, but melted it does not taste bad

RealLifeMama
09-25-2009, 12:09 PM
I am DF, but when I take things to a function to share, I just make them "normal" and then don't eat.
It stinks, but it is easier.

Pillsbury Crescent rolls are DF, BTW.

ShangriLewis
09-25-2009, 04:52 PM
I just scramble tofu or eggs in a pan with some good stuff like peppers, green onions, salsa, sausage. Whatever I have around or looks good. I put a layer of beans, a layer of eggs or tofu. A layer of potatoes. I like the frozen obrien potato mix. Last is some salsa if you want. We serve some salsa on top and pour it on top of each bit.

You could offer some sour cream and salsa for people to top them with. They could eat them with a fork and knife that way.

sprout
09-25-2009, 05:15 PM
yum!

thank you

backtobasicsmum
09-25-2009, 08:16 PM
Yes, thank you! :yes:heart